Hide
7 Posts

Sherman Leader» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cautious an ability or disability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
charles ting
msg tools
Commanders with Medic, Mechanic, Overdrive, Spotter, Marksman, Tactics/C. Tactics and Close Combat special notes are abilities they bring. Cautious doesn't allow units to move and attack (which some units already have this trait). Am I missing something?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Fantozzi
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
charlesting77 wrote:
Commanders with Medic, Mechanic, Overdrive, Spotter, Marksman, Tactics/C. Tactics and Close Combat special notes are abilities they bring. Cautious doesn't allow units to move and attack (which some units already have this trait). Am I missing something?

I have not the commander cards at hand, but being cautious is a disadvantage as you can only move or attack, but not both. Probably you are asking yourself why you should choose a cautious commander. Sometimes, if you run out commanders in a longer campaign, you simply have no choice than accepting a "cautious" commander.
One thing I do in Leader games (whenever possible) is to select units normally but select commanders randomly so that I have to "accept" the men I have and pull the best out of them. It adds more uncertainty and can be a challenge. Additionally, I find it annoying looking at all the commanders, compare their abilities, see how many points I need to promote them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland D
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you are missing something

It´s a bad trait. But it happens to low level characters.
So when the get promoted later it happens that the lose it.

And usually I also play like Andrea, drawing leaders randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles ting
msg tools
Speaking of randomization, do you draw units randomly as well? If you do so, are they drawn one from each type or are they drawn altogether from one pool of cup? This part is unlike the Air series as i'm afraid it might turn into unbalance or weird combination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Fantozzi
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
charlesting77 wrote:
Speaking of randomization, do you draw units randomly as well? If you do so, are they drawn one from each type or are they drawn altogether from one pool of cup? This part is unlike the Air series as i'm afraid it might turn into unbalance or weird combination.

Hi!
No, I do not draw units randomly. Only commanders are chosen randomly. First I purchase the units I want expending the required SO points. So, for example, I buy two Sherman and two Infantry units. Next, I need to assign commanders to these units. In this case, I need two Armor and two Infantry commanders. These commanders are chosen randomly.
If I am starting a campaign, I also need to determine the rank of each. Assume, for example, that my commanders must be 1 Recruit, 2 Green, 1 Average. I determine randomly (among the just selected commanders) who is Recruit, who is Green, and who is Average. I know this might unbalance the game a bit since you are not selecting the "perfect" combination of commanders. If you feel this unbalanced, you could assign a one-time 3 SO Bonus or something like that.

Note that even in the Air Series, I do not select unit (Aircrafts) randomly. Only commanders, and this even if the commander is not a separate card from the Aircraft card. Selecting Aircrafts randomly can result in really weird combinations. So, for example, in Hornet Leader I first choose the Aircrafts I want. Say, for example, three Hornet, one Prowler, two Intruder. Once I have chosen the Aircrafts (and payd or gained the required SO points) I randomly choose the Pilot quality. If the game requires one Newbie, two Green and tree Average, I determine randomly among the just-bought Aircrafts who is Newbie, who is Green, who is Average. In this particular game I also get half of the SO point bonus for random selection (only half since the process is semi-random).

I hope this helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland D
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, that´s exactly how I play it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Verssen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A reason to take Cautious Commanders...

Cautious is a Negative Skill, it gives the Commander a bonus somewhere else. Every Commander of the same level is worth the same amount, just distributed differently. So a Commander with Cautious will have extra points dedicated somewhere else.

As a suggestion, give a Cautious Infantry Commander to a Mortar Squad. You should never really move your Mortar Squad, and he's better than the other Commanders of the same level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.