Hide
4 Posts

Fourth Quarter Football» Forums » Rules

Subject: Inacurate Pass Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adel Port
msg tools
Inacurate Throw (pg.21): The quarterback got the ball away, but it's the opposite of a tight spiral. And it could be caught by anyone in that area. Firstly, the receiving player has a chance to earn his bonus: make a hands skill check, but with a base score the same as the pass that was just thrown - if successful the player adjusted to the ball in the air and made the catch...

If he doesn't make the test then it moves to the next nearest player and they can attempt the test. If two players are equal then roll two dice each and the coach with the the highest total claims the next attempt for their player. Carry on until someone manages to catch the ball or all the players within one passing zone of the intended receiver have attempted a hands skill check...

Example:

Quarterback #1 throws to Flanker #6.

-QB#1 has a base Pass Skill of 8 and no bonus or negatives for the intended passing zone.
-FL#6 has a bonus of +1 for catching in the intended passing zone.
-FL#6 is Alone in the Zone so a +3 is added to the pass.
-FL#6 is out of position for the play so -3 for all rolls.

Base Target Score 8
+1
+3
Total of +1 to the Skill Check.

The offense rolls a 3+1 for a total of 4, which is 4 below the mark, resulting in an inaccurate throw.

FL#6 still has a chance to make the catch, and this is where I get a little bit confused.

"the receiving player has a chance to earn his bonus: make a hands skill check, but with a base score the same as the pass that was just thrown"

Q1: The Base score of the pass is the Passing Skill of the thrower before modifiers, correct? So 8 in this scenario?

Q2: What is this bonus being earned that is mentioned? Or is that just poor wording?

Q3: Are there any modifiers to this test? Does FL#6 get to use their +1 for the zone? Since the 'Rule of Minus Three' is in effect for FL#6 being out of position, is that added to the roll? If there were any defenders adjacent to the receiver, would that effect the roll?

Q4: Why is it called a "Hands Skill Check" if the receiving player's hands skill plays no part in the check?

"Carry on until someone manages to catch the ball or all the players within one passing zone of the intended receiver have attempted a hands skill check.

Q5: So all players in passing zones A-I (shown below) could potentially have a chance to make a play on the ball since they're all within one passing zone of the intended receiver?

Q6: After the receiver gets his chance to save the catch and fails, does everyone making a 'Hands Skill Check' from then on continue to use the same base score of the pass or do they actually use their 'Hands' skill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fourth Quarter Miniatures
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Wow! I love the diagram! I may ask to use it in the errata!

Very simply: If the roll was a 7 after adjustments, It is then a 7 for the hands check for hue original target player following an innacurate pass.
If the target modified score was eleven, then they would need to roll 11.

It’s called a hands check as when the catch the ball they may not advance it. They land on the ground and the play is over.
After that all the other players use their hands score, but they may advance the ball.

Yes...all the players in those zones. Either the pass was low, or players broke to the spot where it went while in the air.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adel Port
msg tools
Great, thanks. I still have a question about after the intended receiver fails their attempt and the next closest players attempt to catch the ball.

Are there any modifiers to these player's Hands checks?

I assume at the very least that if the 'Rule of Minus Three' is in effect that it will apply to all offensive players trying to make a play on the ball.

Are offensive players also affected by other modifiers like Coverage, Close Defense, Zone Coverage Modifier, and Alone in the Zone?

On the flip side, are defensive players affected by being in Coverage, offensive players in their Contact area, and Alone in the Zone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fourth Quarter Miniatures
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yes to minus three if Play was already suffering from that.
No to all the others...it slows the game down too much.
Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.