9 Posts

Diamant» Forums » Rules

Subject: Precious Stones: visible or secret? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
twl corinthian
msg tools
designer
Are players meant to be able to see what is in each other's treasure boxes? The rulebook doesn't specify one way or the other; players' Precious Stones are specified as "safe" but imo that isn't quite the same as saying they're secret. It's a fairly different game depending on the answer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play them as secret - otherwise why have a closeable box? Expect to see some other opinions, though, as a lot of people strongly dislike HTI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
twl corinthian
msg tools
designer
MercifulBiscuit wrote:
a lot of people strongly dislike HTI

Yeah, I'm not a fan myself... tho Diamant is a fairly light example. The HTI element is a bad way to add gameplay, for the usual reason: I could just sit there with pen and paper if I wanted

Quote:
otherwise why have a closeable box?

The box also helps to separate 'banked' Precious Stones from carried ones, and from other players' Stones. Otherwise players just have two heaps and it's easy to mix up. There's also the thematic/fun reason... it's more exciting to put treasure in a box than to write on a score sheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
What's HTI?

It's debatable what was intended. The original came with tents, not a box, and it could have been intended just to separate the safe treasure from the current-not-yet-safe haul. But it does add a twist to not know how much your opponent has, especially if you're behind and are trying desperately to catch up. And it would be easy enough to just ban note taking.
I guess the best bet is to decide with your group how you want to play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the tents were included to make the information hidden. I think it says you can't look in the tent.

HTI must be "hidden something information".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
twl corinthian
msg tools
designer
tanik wrote:
What's HTI?

Hidden tracked information, something you have to keep track of mentally.

In some ways it's good gameplay, ie it's a mental challenge for players... depends if that's the challenge you want. The downside of HTI gameplay is that it can lead to uncorrectable mistakes, motivates players to take notes (which renders it pointless but is hard to prevent), or makes it harder to pause the game and resume later... some people also just don't like it as mnemonic skill is a dull skill to test?

In Diamant it's really not a big deal though... the values are fairly limited, change in simple ways, and the game works with everything visible anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have always played that if/once they are saved they are secret until final scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
twl_corinthian wrote:
tanik wrote:
What's HTI?

Hidden tracked information, something you have to keep track of mentally.

In some ways it's good gameplay, ie it's a mental challenge for players... depends if that's the challenge you want. The downside of HTI gameplay is that it can lead to uncorrectable mistakes, motivates players to take notes (which renders it pointless but is hard to prevent), or makes it harder to pause the game and resume later... some people also just don't like it as mnemonic skill is a dull skill to test?

In Diamant it's really not a big deal though... the values are fairly limited, change in simple ways, and the game works with everything visible anyway.

Actually I think it might be "Trackable"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
twl corinthian
msg tools
designer
manukajoe wrote:
Actually I think it might be "Trackable"

Ironically I had failed to keep track of the hidden parts of Hidden Trackable Information

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.