Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Vaillancourt
United States
Dartmouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Think this is a bit too specific to search for, so thought I'd throw it out to you guys:

1) I have Autocannon in play and my opponent has Tentacus in play. Autocannon seems to be a persistent effect, not an exhaustible action, so do I have to pay my opponent an Æmber each time a new character comes into play? I'm thinking yes but wanted to ask. Also, if it is in play, do I have to use it (I understand it affects all creatures that enter play)?

2) I have Rogue Ogre in play, do I have to play a Brobnar card for his effect to trigger or is it triggered regardless of what house was played?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rowder
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will answer the 2nd question. I believe Rogue Ogre effect triggers irregardless of the faction chosen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
maa7895 wrote:
I will answer the 2nd question. I believe Rogue Ogre effect triggers irregardless of the faction chosen.

I agree. If it had to be a brob creature, it would specify that.

As for the first question, "Use" has a specific meaning. Constant abilities just happen without being used, so Tentacus ("Your opponent must pay you 1 ae in order to use an artifact.") would not benefit from Autocanon's ability being triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1). I believe that there is nothing to pay. You are not "using" the artifact; the artifact simply has an ongoing passive effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1. Use refers to either Action or Omni, not constant abilities.

2. You are only restricted to playing one card to trigger the ability. House doesn't matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Vaillancourt
United States
Dartmouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot, you guys are awesome. So Autocannon just happens, correct? I can’t choose to not use it, right?

I’m also figuring out not to overthink the cards. If it says something, than it can be done. I’m pretty sure they would added qualifiers if there are restrictions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Rabool wrote:
Thanks a lot, you guys are awesome. So Autocannon just happens, correct? I can’t choose to not use it, right?

Correct. Unless there is a "may" or "up to" (or similar) somewhere, all abilities are mandatory.

Quote:
I’m also figuring out not to overthink the cards. If it says something, than it can be done. I’m pretty sure they would added qualifiers if there are restrictions.

Exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matija
Croatia
Rijeka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Rabool wrote:

Also might be important to note that Autocannon's "after a creature enters play" effect happens at the same time as Play: abilities from creatures that enter play. Because these are simultaneous, the active player decides the order of resolution.

This matters for 1 power creatures like Urchin (Play: Steal 1 Aember), so when you play it, you can steal 1 Aember before Autocannon destroys it.

Regarding the original question about using artifacts, these are the relevant rulebook quotes:

Quote:
There are two types of abilities that enable a player to use an artifact: “Action:” abilities and “Omni:” abilities.

When a player uses an artifact, they exhaust the card and then resolve its abilities.

Quote:
If a card has an ability that does not have a boldfaced precursor, the ability is a constant ability that is active so long as the card remains in play and meets all conditions specified by the ability.

Constant abilities on a card are active even while that card is exhausted.

Applying the effects of a constant ability is not considered using a card and therefore does not cause the card to exhaust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
dukman wrote:
Rabool wrote:

Also might be important to note that Autocannon's "after a creature enters play" effect happens at the same time as Play: abilities from creatures that enter play. Because these are simultaneous, the active player decides the order of resolution.

This matters for 1 power creatures like Urchin (Play: Steal 1 Aember), so when you play it, you can steal 1 Aember before Autocannon destroys it.

This seems like a weird rule distinction. Is there ever a time a player would play a 1 power creature and chose to destroy it before its Play ability fires? Why not just discard it then? Is there anything in the current card set that benefits the active player being able to chose which happens first?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No.
2. Any of your turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matija
Croatia
Rijeka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Relax wrote:
dukman wrote:
Rabool wrote:

This seems like a weird rule distinction. Is there ever a time a player would play a 1 power creature and chose to destroy it before its Play ability fires? Why not just discard it then? Is there anything in the current card set that benefits the active player being able to chose which happens first?

There are some edge cases, yes. For Neutron Shark, Piranha Monkeys, Inka the Spider or some other cards it can sometimes be beneficial not to trigger the Play: effect - while it being beneficial to play the card for effects like Hunting Witch, Full Moon etc.

But with future cards there might be new Play: abilities or cards with abilities similar to Autocannon for which this might be an important distinction.

In any case, I think it's better to know exactly how things work, even if you probably won't need this for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.