JoeAubrey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
in more boxes
badge
mbmbmb
A while back I made cardstock insert (as is my style) for Scythe, but I never got around to posting pictures of it. Well here I go!

All boxes are made with heavyweight "metallic" (read: kinda shiny) card stock, designed by myself, and cut by our Cricut Maker. Unfortunately the plans are mostly unsharable, but hopefully these serve as inspiration for anyone else trying to fit everything (but Fenris [and new encounter cards]) in one box. Thanks for looking!

The full box. Most everything sits flush, and one box you can see on the edge prevents the board plus extension from moving around.

Underneath the boards and rules are all the little compartments.

Everything comes out separately for personal or shared use, and the "setup box" with Encounters, etc. are all together, with one stack undereath some cards (seen here E).

Back to the main box, you can now see the player mats, the combat dials, some mysterious boxes, and the mech garage.

In the first two boxes are the "extra bits" (50 coins, extra resource tokens, and 6-7 player ability modification tiles) and also the Automa card box.

Underneath the Automa cards are the Resolution tiles, and next to that are the combat dial containers (all 7).

Pull the blue ribbon to access the player mats.

Beneath the combat dials and the Automa/Resolution boxes are the Airships and related tiles.

And finally, next to the Mech Garage, the character box. Perhaps the lease "protective" box, but it's not like I'm throwing around this (now very) heavy box anyway.

I love this way better than a thousand baggies. Makes setup much easier, and it was more fun than a Broken Token (I got to design it myself), fits more than foamcore and Broken Token possibly could, and way cheaper than wood too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Popular Culture
Australia
Canberra
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
eeek! not sleeved! This is perhaps one of only four games I have sleeved as the cards are amazing. Have you recalculated dimensions for a sleeved version? Looks really good tho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeAubrey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
in more boxes
badge
mbmbmb
Popularculture wrote:
eeek! not sleeved! This is perhaps one of only four games I have sleeved as the cards are amazing. Have you recalculated dimensions for a sleeved version? Looks really good tho.
Thanks! They're such high quality cards, I haven't considered sleeving them (I only have Terraforming Mars and a couple deck builders sleeved). I'd have to do some major reorganizing to fit sleeved cards, so I'm pretty committed to not sleeving now, hah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeAubrey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
in more boxes
badge
mbmbmb
I do have all the promo cards in this box (though the user created encounter cards are separate). Luckily I'm pretty careful with my games, and not so luckily, Scythe is only a 2-3 times a year kind of game for us. So this solution works for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO this one doesn't really need sleeving. Even the combat cards don't get all that much handling during a game. One shuffle per play, and most cards just sit on the table pretty much the whole game. Plus, they are high quality.

Now, other games with more handling, and lesser quality cards have gotten sleeved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
IMHO this one doesn't really need sleeving. Even the combat cards don't get all that much handling during a game. One shuffle per play, and most cards just sit on the table pretty much the whole game. Plus, they are high quality.

Now, other games with more handling, and lesser quality cards have gotten sleeved.

This.

After 100 plays, my Encounter cards, Objective cards, and Factory cards still look and feel great. The combat cards are definitely worn; that's probably due to the rougher shuffling necessitated by the thicker stack and smaller surface area. But sleeving combat cards seems like overkill...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
interesting... I've been working on cardstock storage that keeps all of each faction's stuff in discrete containers. cutting it all out has taken forever... I'd love to have access to a Cricut; would you consider renting usage of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeAubrey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
in more boxes
badge
mbmbmb
razordaze wrote:
interesting... I've been working on cardstock storage that keeps all of each faction's stuff in discrete containers. cutting it all out has taken forever... I'd love to have access to a Cricut; would you consider renting usage of it?
Hah, I don't think that's be economically feasible, and you might be surprised how inexpensive some versions of the Cricut are.

Also, many "maker spaces" will have one alongside their 3D Printers for use. Check in your area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeAubrey wrote:
razordaze wrote:
Hah, I don't think that's be economically feasible, and you might be surprised how inexpensive some versions of the Cricut are.

Also, many "maker spaces" will have one alongside their 3D Printers for use. Check in your area.

there is a makerspace that has a laser, but membership is not in the budget right now.

in any case, shipping would qualify for media rate (dirt cheap) so if it's possible to for your Cricut to run vector files (stl, svg, etc) exported from Illustrator, and / or PDFs without too much fuss... roughly how much time / money would you ballpark for 2-3 distinct Letter sized pages per faction?

I am starting to understand how tightly closed the Cricut ecosystem is though... would you have to retrace imported vector or rasters and fiddle with them?

pm me if you'd prefer to discuss off-thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.