Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Clark
United Kingdom
Bath
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Hey everyone,

Came across this minor confusion today regarding the Elixir of Insight item card while using the new Death Dice from the Collector's Box.

So, the Elixir of Insight allows you to "..change any one chapter dice to show a trait of your choice."

Can this be used to change one of the death dice?
Before anyone says "obviously not because the card says chapter dice, not death dice".. the rules for the death dice say that once they are in play they are treated as chapter dice for all other purposes in the game.

So, I say that you can use the Elixir to change a death dice to show a trait of your choice.... however, the death dice don't have any faces that any sane person would want to choose, so I feel that the rule should be that you can replace a death dice with a normal chapter dice and show the trait of your choosing! Phew!
I mean, a death dice doesn't even have a single trait on any face, so it would make no sense if you couldn't swap out the death dice for a regular chapter dice.

You couldn't say "I pick shield" because that isn't a trait.
You couldn't say I pick the MIGHT & CUNNING double, because that isn't a trait, it's two traits!

"The trait of my choosing is one MIGHT, I don't care if you're a death die, get lost!"
haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott meredith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The way we play it, death dice replace normal chapter dice and become new(more difficult) chapter dice. This way everything that affects chapter dice affects them the same as any other chapter dice. I agree that there isn't much point in changing them unless you have a couple players that are really good (or lucky) at rolling certain combinations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Pike
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
publisher

Hi Guys,

Yes you can use the Elixir of Insight to modify a Death die. As you pointed out they are treated as chapter dice for most game effects.

The most common strategy here would be to change a Split Double which you feel is going to cause your group a problem into a Shield which can be smashed by ANY double.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.