Popular Tags: [View All]
Christoph Rzymski
Germany
Jena
Freistaat Thüringen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dear all,

my dad has shown an interest in my wargaming activities (wohoo!) and would like to try out a wargame. He's very much into naval history (particularly U-boats in WW2) and I'd like to cater to that, if possible (have to reel him in carefully to finally have an ASL buddy close to me, ha!).

As such, I'm looking for:

- a beginner wargame, potentially dealing with naval history, potentially set in WW2. However, except for the 'beginner' part nothing of this is a must
- quick setup times
- a game not too fiddly, but definitely can have (should have?) traditional hex & counter flair
- not too language-dependent (e.g. cards in English); he definitely could follow basic English instructions but the texts, if any, shouldn't be too complex
- availability of the game in Europe/Germany

I currently have my eyes on Battles of the Bulge: Celles which, of course, doesn't deal with anything naval-related, but still seems like a nice introductory game.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
War Galley is a pretty easy GBoH title, but quite far from WW2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
Turn the right corner in Sin City...
badge
...and you can find anything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition) is easy to learn and fits every other criteria (except the naval part).

It has a German version and an the rules were recently updated so it is even more accessible now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mircea Pauca
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pacific Fury: Guadalcanal, 1942

War at Sea (third edition) (or the old 2nd edition) if high influence of luck does not displease.

Solomon Sea a rather easy system, deep effects game. Needs 2 players for the hide/search.

The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43 obviously for the U-boot theme, solo, generating stories more than heavy decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They Come Unseen might fit as well. But more board game than hex and counter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Rzymski
Germany
Jena
Freistaat Thüringen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of awesome suggestions, thank you all very much! I'll definitely find something and report back with the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Run Silent, Run Deep
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Walker
United Kingdom
HANTS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not Naval, but X-Wing is a great beginners Wargame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alixian wrote:
It's not Naval, but X-Wing is a great beginners Wargame

Well, without WWII and the submarine theme, there is also Sails of Glory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonie van der Tweel
msg tools
mbmb
With a WW2 theme, Wings of Glory WW2.

Maybe take a look at 2GM, from Draco Ideas ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Haskins
msg tools
mbmbmb
I like the combat a lot in merchants and marauders, but the overall game might be a stretch for what you're looking for. Anyways check it out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Thorne
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Entry wargame with miniatures: Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition
It also has a lot of naval units such as submarines
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holdfast: Atlantic 1939-45 and Holdfast: Pacific 1941-45
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can still get them, try Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures: War at Sea.

The painted miniatures represent actual WW2 warships from carriers and battleships to submarines and patrol boats, as well as carrier- and land-based aircraft. The rules are very easy to learn, and games play quickly. Each unit has a unit cost; and players begin with a mutually agreed building points total (say, 150), and build their fleets by paying the costs of the individual units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry that I can not provide any suggestion but I would like to use this thread to give Days of Wonder a little hint:
If you want to earn some decent extra money without producing a new game... Just publish a german version of Memoir '44
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Rzymski
Germany
Jena
Freistaat Thüringen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all very much for the additional suggestions! The naval-themed games look very nice and promising, will definitely consider!

Agree with respect to Memoir '44 in German, although the game isn't that language-dependent (or is it? I've only seen it from afar). I was also considering Heroes of Normandie, but I wasn't quite sure whether the art style (I personally think it is interesting and unique) might be too 'comicy' for my dad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrzyki wrote:
Agree with respect to Memoir '44 in German, although the game isn't that language-dependent (or is it? I've only seen it from afar).

I haven't played it by myself but judging from Let's plays I got the impression that it is nearly impossible to play without knowing the language as the battle cards all have written explanations of what they are good for. In addition to that you loose the historical information of the battles written in the rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mircea Pauca
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:

Beware, this is a Collectable miniatures system so can get expensive to play competitively. Think of the Magic: The Gathering mindset.

Salvo! is a simple WW2 tactical battle system (one or a few ships per side). Basic edition is now free, there is an extended professionally-published edition too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrzyki wrote:
Agree with respect to Memoir '44 in German, although the game isn't that language-dependent (or is it? I've only seen it from afar). I was also considering Heroes of Normandie, but I wasn't quite sure whether the art style (I personally think it is interesting and unique) might be too 'comicy' for my dad.

I've played Battles of Westeros (very similar system to C&C/Memoir) and this would have been pretty rough without knowing the language. I have to agree to what Taipan101 said.

For Heroes of Normandy I've played the Shadows over Normandie Version and IMO it felt more arcade-y, somehow. I like Conflict of Heroes more, seems to be more realistic in comparison to HoN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ROMagister wrote:
Eldard wrote:

Beware, this is a Collectable miniatures system so can get expensive to play competitively. Think of the Magic: The Gathering mindset.

That's true, particularly if you are buying them new; you don't know what you're getting in each box.

It's better to buy them on eBay, where I've seen them sold in groups of a dozen or more commons as well as individual rare units. You're laying out some money, but you know exactly what you're getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Pacific Fury: Guadalcanal, 1942

War at Sea (third edition) (or the old 2nd edition) if high influence of luck does not displease.

These are the two first ones I thought of. Both can be learned in 15 minutes or so, former takes around an hour to play, the latter, under two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.