Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kathryn D
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gizisebu wrote:
It's so heart-melting to read all of these stories, I wish I had my own children, so I could share such a story as well...
I am not sure if your in the US or not but DCF is always looking for people who are willing to respite kids (serve as designated babysitters for foster families). Basically you get paid to hang out with kids for short periods of time. A great opportunity to show a few kids some of your game collection teach then how to play your favorites and get compensated for it. A really worthy cause if you get drawn to it. The kids often haven’t gotten many chances just to be kids and repsite is one of those times they get to experience it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lothridge
msg tools
KatAstraFe wrote:

I am not sure if your in the US or not but DCF is always looking for people who are willing to respite kids (serve as designated babysitters for foster families). Basically you get paid to hang out with kids for short periods of time. A great opportunity to show a few kids some of your game collection teach then how to play your favorites and get compensated for it. A really worthy cause if you get drawn to it. The kids often haven’t gotten many chances just to be kids and repsite is one of those times they get to experience it.

That is awesome! I bet when people do this it makes those kid's day. I remember growing up there was a community center near by. Me and my brother would go there and the employee there would just let us play with the toys there. We had so much fun there, and the people who worked there didn't exactly have to do much, just hang out I guess. It was that we got to spend time playing and learning. I was blessed to have my family, but it didn't make those moments any less special. I never thought about board games being used like that before I saw your post. Thank you. I am not sure if it is against the rules, but do you mind sending me (or posting) more information on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Schulz
Sweden
Boden
Norrbotten
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas L wrote:
So, I was at our lgs with our kid, they do regular game nights. For a while, he has been going and sitting there bored. Well we were playing Roll For It! and he joined (with me helping of course) and he won. I let him place his dice wherever he wanted and do all of the rolling. Beginners luck mixed with a bit of coaching got him through. He was excited and everyone congratulated him.

Shoot forward like 20 minutes, we are deep in his second game with a completely different group of players. He has lost horribly, but he doesn't understand that yet. He at this point thinks the number of cards determines the winner. Well, another player won. He looked at me and asked how he won, I explained that he reached the number before you. My kid counted his numbers, then counted the winners. He looked up at the winner and said "Good job at winning!" and gave him a high five.

I'd have to say that both him winning and him losing gracefully was my proud daddy moments so far. So, what about y'all? Any proud daddy/mommy moment stories?

I love this story for a number of reasons: taking interest and including the children, showing the importance of life containing both wins and losses and how to be a good sport. Great stuff! heart

My two sons are very young, 3 years and 10 months respectively. The oldest and I play Orchard, it's a really good game seeing that it's co-op so we win or loose together which can be an easier pill to swallow. It also makes me really proud to see that my son has grasped the concepts of waiting for your turn, being happy when another player makes a good dice roll and accepting that sometimes we win and sometimes we lose but we have fun regardless
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lothridge
msg tools
I will have to check out Orchard. I've personally played Hoot Owl Hoot! with him. It is coop, and he is learning to make some pretty nice strategic moves in it. He is 4, but his brother is too young, about to turn 1. My 4 year old found a fun game. He lets the 1 year old roll our big fuzzy d20 and he calls out the number. He loves the 20s and goes "Ohhhhh noooo!" on the 1s. He obviously has watched us play way too much D&D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play boardgames with my children all the time. My oldest (11yo girl) isn't that interested, but she likes Magic Maze and, to my surprise, King of Tokyo.

My son (8yo) plays all kinds of games with me, including Root, Red Alert and Star Wars: Rebellion, some of them I own in English, so we play with open hands so that I can translate the texts - I'm German. (Not SW:R, of course!)

He has beat me in Root several times now, but he can usually loose gracefully.

My youngest (5yo girl) plays more child versions of games yet, but I saw her play Carcassonne with my wife recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjørn Ciggaar
Netherlands
Hilversum
flag msg tools
Hi,

New to this forum but I just had to share this. I play Go Away Monster! with my 2-year old girl. She loves it! So; so do I. The cutest moment was when she pulled out a piece that was already on her board, so we taught her to give that one away to someone who hasn't got that piece. As like we always tell her to say thank you when something is offered and she takes is.
So; she offers me her piece, I take it, and she says "So what do you say now?".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Fisher
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas L wrote:
He looked up at the winner and said "Good job at winning!" and gave him a high five.

That's great! I have 3 boys who love playing games with me, but they are quite competitive with each other. It is the rare occasion when they can congratulate one another. One of my sons had a 3 month ban from board games because of poor sportsmanship (he unjustly ranted and complained for an hour after losing a game to his little brother). soblue

The #1 rule in our home with any game is always: People are more important than the game.

This holds true for sports, video games, board games, or anything else.

If you cant keep other people first, then its time to put the game away.

So. It is really cool that your son was able to enjoy the game and people regardless of the outcome. That will benefit him in every way of his life. ^_~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I agree that you should be proud! You are teaching your kid morals and values at a young age. I'm glad that your kid started out the hobby of gaming. It's better to game instead of getting into trouble doing something else. It's good to teach sportsmanship at such a young and it was no fluke because your kid was able to rationalize the difference between losing and winning even though you coached him. I hope that you have more proud daddy moments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love how my daughter (11) has ups and downs in games. The speed at which she makes progress is just amazing.

There has been many proud moments, but a more recent one:

We were playing a new game and she wanted to be the one that read the rules. It was a total mess of her doing details in random order and not linking them together. The wife/mom ended up getting upset and almost quitting the game because it was confusing and dragging for her. I took over and explained a few key tips for how to make sure everyone is engaged and remember the details when explaining rules.

Fast forward two days. We play another new game. She insist on reading the rules first. Curious to see how that would go I convinced wifey to let her do it.
She proceeded to give an awesome introduction to the game. Complete with thematic narrative and all in a short time so we could get going. Better than I would have been able to do it.

As parents I believe this to be one of the most rewarding experiences. It is one thing to teach your kids how to do stuff or how to behave. But the true reward is when they extrapolate and exceed your expectations.

NB, I can totally see that monster-creation-moment happening when she is 20+ and outdo me in anything she puts her hands on. But then again, that is exactly what we are hoping for as parents. If our children can be better than us at everything we have done our part
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parry Pollock
Canada
Whistler
BC
flag msg tools
Family Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aziras wrote:
I love how my daughter (11) has ups and downs in games. The speed at which she makes progress is just amazing.

There has been many proud moments, but a more recent one:

We were playing a new game and she wanted to be the one that read the rules. It was a total mess of her doing details in random order and not linking them together. The wife/mom ended up getting upset and almost quitting the game because it was confusing and dragging for her. I took over and explained a few key tips for how to make sure everyone is engaged and remember the details when explaining rules.

Fast forward two days. We play another new game. She insist on reading the rules first. Curious to see how that would go I convinced wifey to let her do it.
She proceeded to give an awesome introduction to the game. Complete with thematic narrative and all in a short time so we could get going. Better than I would have been able to do it.

As parents I believe this to be one of the most rewarding experiences. It is one thing to teach your kids how to do stuff or how to behave. But the true reward is when they extrapolate and exceed your expectations.

NB, I can totally see that monster-creation-moment happening when she is 20+ and outdo me in anything she puts her hands on. But then again, that is exactly what we are hoping for as parents. If our children can be better than us at everything we have done our part

Great story!! But it won't be 20+, it'll be more like in 4-5 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fredrickson
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomas L wrote:
[q="KatAstraFe"]
I am not sure if your in the US or not but DCF is always looking for people who are willing to respite kids (serve as designated babysitters for foster families).

Also, there are many mentoring programs that pair adults with wonderful children. For my own part, games have been a big part of this experience. High school kids don't often want to talk, but put a game in from front of them and the kids open up.

Added bonus, buying games for the mentoring program fulfills our insatiable need for more games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henk Bouman
Netherlands
Purmerend
flag msg tools
Played a game of Azul against my 9 year old daughter.
Only 2 colors left and she allready filled the horizontol row.

she had to pick a color that gave her some points or gave her nothing.
She looks again at my board and yells NO! i won't give you that much points!

She got the color that didn't gave her any points but because of that she denied me 19 points.
I lost the game with 10 points.

She is getting better and better with boardgames, not only play by the rules but also beginning to understand tactical decisions.
We started playing boardgames now allmost a year ago and i really love this moments. Can't wait to see where this leads into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lamstraal wrote:
Played a game of Azul against my 9 year old daughter.
Only 2 colors left and she allready filled the horizontol row.

she had to pick a color that gave her some points or gave her nothing.
She looks again at my board and yells NO! i won't give you that much points!

She got the color that didn't gave her any points but because of that she denied me 19 points.
I lost the game with 10 points.

She is getting better and better with boardgames, not only play by the rules but also beginning to understand tactical decisions.
We started playing boardgames now allmost a year ago and i really love this moments. Can't wait to see where this leads into.

Congrats, those moments are just awesome and priceless! I still remember the first time my youngest daughter beat me in a game of Ticket to Ride. Such a thrill to see that joy on their face when they win a game they enjoy on their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My eldest sat around a lot of games, being the 1st grandchild for his in-laws (with whom we played a lot) and the only child when we played with my brother and his wife.

We were playing pandemic and debating which of two cities my sister-in-law should remove a cube from (both were full and poised for outbreaks). All 4 adults decided it didn't matter. My 4 year old piped up: "You should do that one!" (Bangkok). Seeing as it didn't matter I thought we could let the kid decide.

"You think that should be our choice of these two, honey?"

"No, you should do it because the other one is out of the deck."

He was right. We had all forgotten. Definitely a proud moment!

The first time my middle one bluffed me by pretending to mis-speak and reveal her goal was also a great one (age 5 there)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |