BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Traveling with boardgames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Klara
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since we own a few games we are often asked to bring some with us when visiting friends. Normally this wouldn't be a big thing to ask for if we would just take small games, but especially whilst travelling with some of my all time favourites it gets quite a lot to carry.

How do you travel with games with a lot of tiles/meeples etc.? Just in their normal box, even if they somtimes are huge compared to what's inside? Do you have any advice on how to make huge boxes more travelfriendly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dettinger
Germany
Gärtringen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never taken my games on a long trip, so I have no experience from the road. But I would try to avoid the big boxes, as you proposed.

- I store small components (meeples, cards, cubes, ...) in little plastic bags anyway, so that's fine
- the minis would stay in their usual casings, to protect them if necessary
- boards are quite easy, just next to each other, using a paper wrapping or something. Together with the rulebooks.

All that would go into a backpack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Laycock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm interested to see the replies as we'll be heading off on holiday in spring and intend to take a few games with us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For travel, removing the game insert can allow multiple games to fit in the same box. Or you can just leave the entire box at home and pack only the boards and components in your suitcase, using plastic bags to keep everything together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I travel with games to visit my daughter on the other side of the continent about once a year.

1. I take the biggest suitcase I own.
2. I fill it with games.
3. I stuff clothing in the spaces between the games.
4. I put the rest of my clothes in a carry on bag and voila.

The point is to make games the priority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
Or you can just leave the entire box at home and pack only the boards and components in your suitcase, using plastic bags to keep everything together.

This. Just get gallon-size freezer bags and put the components in there. I recently fit the following in a single carry on bag: Root, Twilight Imperium 4, Rex, Sidereal Confluence, Brass and Gaia Project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also remember to check if the game has rules online as many do and that would cut down the need for the original box footprint (see Splendor)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mb
I dump the bags with game components in a tin cookie box. I can easily pack 6-9 games in that fashion, and the tin box is sturdy enough to protect them.

This does not work with games with large boards, but you could have a rigid cover to protect them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klara
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:
I travel with games to visit my daughter on the other side of the continent about once a year.

1. I take the biggest suitcase I own.
2. I fill it with games.
3. I stuff clothing in the spaces between the games.
4. I put the rest of my clothes in a carry on bag and voila.

The point is to make games the priority.

This is my favourite answer yet!

AlexFS wrote:
I dump the bags with game components in a tin cookie box. I can easily pack 6-9 games in that fashion, and the tin box is sturdy enough to protect them.

This does not work with games with large boards, but you could have a rigid cover to protect them.

I really like the tinbox idea! We normally, if we travel by train or plane, use plastic bags as well. The only thing I feel like I wouldn't like afterwards is sorting all those small bags in their boxes again....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.