Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Campaign overload difficulty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rolle W
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
So playing 2nd ed, no expansions, Act 1 from beginning vs 3 heroes as overlord. What I noticed is that after some quests the players are generally quite overpowered, and I experience for each quest it gets harder to win as overlord.

The reason as I see it is the players both get skill points and new items, while the overlord only gets one or maybe two cards into the deck that he MAY draw. For me, what really tipped it over was when the players got a staff with both blast and stun (cant remember the item combo name). These and other good combos makes it really hard to accomplish anything a OL.

Any thoughts?

EDIT: Read some of the similar threads below, seems we overlooked that heroes cant buy any shop items. This would tip the balance somewhat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Brown
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Check out this post in the game forum which might be useful.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1001785/blast-killing-me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jukka-Pekka Tuominen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Generally the in the game the heroes will get more and more powerful after each quest. It will be fixed at Act II when The Overlord will get more powerful monsters and stuff. But in Act II it is also the same thing.
Anyway - for sure the heroes are not able to buy anything they want from the items deck. After each quest they get a set of 5 cards that they can purchase. So sometimes to get the good items you need to be lucky. Also many times you might get a really good weapon or a really good shield, but not both.
Also note that after the Interlude quest the heroes can purchase any items from the Act I items deck. It is supposed to make the change to Act II more balanced.
As for the Overlord I am not probably the best person to tell any hints. There are way better instructions on how to play Overlord already on this site. The main princible is still to figure out where is the weakness of the heroes. This depends on the use of heroes and their skill (weapons and such). Then the Overlord player should buy his cards to take advantage of that. Also he should select the open monster groups depending on the heroes and their skills. So perhaps they have set of heroes who are low on strength and you pick up monsters than can poison etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.