Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
The goal is to win; but we play to have fun - Me <-- I said that.
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules Page 15 wrote:
Changing direction: You can change the direction of the spaceship, so its movement direction becomes the direction it is now pointing toward. To do so, plan a change direction card (rotate symbol) together with another maneuver card (but not an overboost). When you reveal the card, and before you adjust your spaceship’s kinetic energy, take a driftruler, if the kinetic energy of the previous turn was 2 or more. Use the ruler as a reminder of your starting kinetic energy:  ip it to show the “2–4” side or the “5–6” side, depending on your starting kinetic energy.

Rules Page 16; OVERBOOST wrote:
Remember, the spaceship will rotate, if planned, after using the overboost card and before using the second maneuver card (see Rotating the spaceship while maneuvering, in the next page).

Which one is correct or did I miss a rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rotating changes where your nose is pointing. Changing direction changes the direction you will move in. The first rule quote refers to changing direction, the second refers to rotating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
Rotating changes where your nose is pointing. Changing direction changes the direction you will move in. The first rule quote refers to changing direction, the second refers to rotating.

The first is under the heading "LIMITATION FOR ROTATED SPACESHIPS".

I think both rules apply to rotated ships?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I read the rules right on page 16 they don't make sense to me.

Can I overboost, rotate 90 degrees, and move three straight as my next move? Which way would the straight be? Also that would take three maneuver cards, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a rotated ship is changing direction (using a Change Direction card), then it can’t overboost.

If a rotated ship is not changing direction, then it can overboost. In fact, if its Kinetic Energy is greater than 3, it must overboost: that’s the only way to keep the KE at the same value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I think???

Let me ask a different question. Can you plan three movement cards for a turn? Overboost; Rotate (which is changing direction); Straight 3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
Can I overboost, rotate 90 degrees, and move three straight as my next move? Which way would the straight be? Also that would take three maneuver cards, right?

You can overboost, rotate 90 degrees, and move three straight.

The three straight will be in the same direction as the overboost: the rotation did not change your direction of motion, just the direction your nose is pointing.

This would only take two maneuver cards: a straight overboost, and a straight regular maneuver. The rotation is indicated with the dial on your control panel.

(Edit: I keep being a post behind. Sorry, I’m not a good phone typist.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
Okay, I think???

Let me ask a different question. Can you plan three movement cards for a turn? Overboost; Rotate (which is changing direction); Straight 3?

You are still confusing "Rotate" and "Change direction". Those are different things.

- Rotate is when you turn the top part of the base and your ship, so that your ship and firing arc is pointing in a different direction than you are moving.

- Change direction is when you are already rotated, and you turn the bottom part of the base so that the 0 is pointing in the same direction that your firing arc (and the nose of your ship) was already pointing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thun
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi Ken! We just tried out the Complete Rules at home. Hopefully this will help clear things up:

If I understand correctly, you don't need to play a Change Direction card to rotate the position of your ship. You would simply need to set your velocity to 0 or play straight maneuver/Overboost+maneuver cards only during the planning phase, and rotate the facing dial for your ship to the desired position on the control panel. When you play your first card (either Movement or Overboost), move your ship to the appropriate position on the card, then rotate your ship facing. Your direction of movement stays the same, but your ship is now facing another position.

Again, if I understand correctly, you only play the Change Direction card when you are already rotated and want to re-align your movement direction to match the direction your ship is currently facing. In that case, you'd play a Change Direction card as your first card and use the drift ruler to find out how much you drift after changing direction. Your second card can be any single maneuver you want (but not an Overboost).

TLDR: As far as I can tell, you never play 3 cards, because a regular rotation does not require playing a third card, and you never play an Overboost when you play a Change Direction+maneuver.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
You are still confusing "Rotate" and "Change direction". Those are different things.[...]

Yes I think I was. I need to go back and re-read it with that in mind.

Thanks everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.