Subject: Hokkaido Unofficial Solo Variant... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As these games emerge as part of the "Nippon Series" it is apparent that each game in the series will more than likely be focused around a different mechanic and/or type of Map building. For Honshū it was Trick Taking and the expansion of your city. With Hokkaido however it is about Drafting and learning how to optimize your build around the Mountain.

Seeing these difference in the two games currently released in the series I thought it would be fun to produce a variant that tried to focus on the Drafting and Mountain Range aspect we see in Hokkaido. Of course the variants already produced Honshū could work just as well for Hokkaido but my goal for this variant is to bring focus to what is new in Hokkaido, this being the Drafting aspect and Mountain Range.

Revision 00
PREPARATION
-Create a supply containing all Terraforming Tiles and only 12 Resource Cubes (3 of each type/color). Return any additional Resource Cubes back to the box as they will not be needed.

-Choose a starting Province Card and place it in your play area on either the A or B side, placing a matching resource in each Production Square.

-Shuffle all 60 Map Cards and place face down creating your draw deck.

-You are now ready to play.

PLAYING THE GAME

**This variant will still be played over 12 rounds with each round consisting of a Drafting and Map Phase.

Drafting Phases for Rounds 1-6
-During your first Drafting Phase you will draw 6 cards from the top of the draw deck, choose a card from among them to be played in your Map, and discard the rest of the cards to a face up discard pile next to the draw deck.

-The card chosen from each Drafting Phase MUST contain a Mountain Square unless:
A.) All cards in hand do not contain a Mountain Square, in which case all cards for the round are available to choose from without an additional cost.

-OR-

B.) You choose to remove a Resource Cube in the supply from the game. If a Resource Cube is removed this way you may choose any card in your hand for the round to be played in your Map regardless if it contains a Mountain Square or not.
**If you have no Resource Cubes left in the supply, Option B can not be chosen.

-For each subsequent Drafting Phase after the first you will draw one less card from the draw deck than you did in the previous round.
EXAMPLE: Round 2: Draw 5 cards, Round 3: Draw 4 cards, Round 4: draw 3 cards, Round 5: draw 2 cards, Round 6: draw 1 card)

Drafting Phases for Rounds 7-12
-During your 7th Round Drafting Phase you will reset your card draw limit by drawing 6 cards from the top of the draw deck. Again, subsequent Drafting Phase will result in drawing one less card from the draw deck than you did in the previous round.
EXAMPLE: Round 8: Draw 5 cards, Round 9: Draw 4 cards, Round 10: draw 3 cards, Round 11: draw 2 cards, Round 12: draw 1 card)

MAP PHASE
The Map Phase for this variant does not change from the original game's rules. You will still abide by all placement restrictions and will still be able to Terraform a single Fallow Square at the end of each Map Phase if able.

SCORING
-After the 12th round you will score as per normal Hokkaido scoring.

PLAYING WITH GOAL CARDS

**Playing with Goal cards is optional but could add to the challenge of your game.

-Goal Cards are to be read for this variant by replacing the words "First to" with the word "Must".
Example:
Goal Card #1
Original Text: "First to have 5 separate Forest areas."
Variant Text: "Must have 5 separate Forest areas."

-Shuffle the Goal Cards face down and reveal the top card, placing it to near the draw deck as a reminder. This is now a goal you MUST meet by the end of your 12th round or you automatically lose the game!

-For even more of a challenge keep revealing cards this way, one at a time, until you are satisfied with the number of goals you must meet by the end of the game.

=======================================================================

This variant is still considered a work in progress so please let me know in the comments what you think if you decide to try it out. Also let me know if anything can be improved upon in this variant as I am always open to suggestions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalle Malmioja
Finland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great way to play Hokkaido solo. I like the switched text of the goal cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Kalle, it really is a fantastic game design you have created with Hokkaido

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny I was thinking of doing a drafting phase for Honshu in which you draw one card less each time, but I was thinking it would be too easy to get the best card each time. And of course, there isn't the "forced to take a mountain" aspect.

What would you advise, o grand master of the solo nippon islands?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Funny I was thinking of doing a drafting phase for Honshu in which you draw one card less each time, but I was thinking it would be too easy to get the best card each time. And of course, there isn't the "forced to take a mountain" aspect.

What would you advise, o grand master of the solo nippon islands?

This reply would probably best be suited on the Honshu solo variant page but, if you are asking specifically for Honshu then off the top of my head I could make a suggestion where you try drafting in a manor where you reveal the top 3 cards of the deck and going from left to right the left most card is free to play to your map, the middle card will cost you one of any resource to play to your map, and the right most card would cost 2 resources to play to your map.

This seems like you would deplete your resources rather quickly though so possibly a draft as seen in Mr Cabbaggehead's Garden would better be suited where you reveal the top 4 cards of the deck and going from left to right the left most card is not only free to play but also gains you an additional resource of each resource type displayed on the card for you to place on any matching resource spot that no longer has a cube on it in your map. Then the next card would be free to play to your map without any bonus, the following card would cost you one of any resource to play to your map, and the right most card would cost 2 resources to play to your map.

Just quick thoughts, if you try them please let me know what you think of these drafting types for Honshu

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dumidu Surasinghe
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dejunking wrote:
As these games emerge as part of the "Nippon Series" it is apparent that each game in the series will more than likely be focused around a different mechanic and/or type of Map building. For Honshū it was Trick Taking and the expansion of your city. With Hokkaido however it is about Drafting and learning how to optimize your build around the Mountain.

Seeing these difference in the two games currently released in the series I thought it would be fun to produce a variant that tried to focus on the Drafting and Mountain Range aspect we see in Hokkaido. Of course the variants already produced Honshū could work just as well for Hokkaido but my goal for this variant is to bring focus to what is new in Hokkaido, this being the Drafting aspect and Mountain Range.

Revision 00
PREPARATION
-Create a supply containing all Terraforming Tiles and only 12 Resource Cubes (3 of each type/color). Return any additional Resource Cubes back to the box as they will not be needed.

-Choose a starting Province Card and place it in your play area on either the A or B side, placing a matching resource in each Production Square.

-Shuffle all 60 Map Cards and place face down creating your draw deck.

-You are now ready to play.

PLAYING THE GAME

**This variant will still be played over 12 rounds with each round consisting of a Drafting and Map Phase.

Drafting Phases for Rounds 1-6
-During your first Drafting Phase you will draw 6 cards from the top of the draw deck, choose a card from among them to be played in your Map, and discard the rest of the cards to a face up discard pile next to the draw deck.

-The card chosen from each Drafting Phase MUST contain a Mountain Square unless:
A.) All cards in hand do not contain a Mountain Square, in which case all cards for the round are available to choose from without an additional cost.

-OR-

B.) You choose to remove a Resource Cube in the supply from the game. If a Resource Cube is removed this way you may choose any card in your hand for the round to be played in your Map regardless if it contains a Mountain Square or not.
**If you have no Resource Cubes left in the supply, Option B can not be chosen.

-For each subsequent Drafting Phase after the first you will draw one less card from the draw deck than you did in the previous round.
EXAMPLE: Round 2: Draw 5 cards, Round 3: Draw 4 cards, Round 4: draw 3 cards, Round 5: draw 2 cards, Round 6: draw 1 card)

Drafting Phases for Rounds 7-12
-During your 7th Round Drafting Phase you will reset your card draw limit by drawing 6 cards from the top of the draw deck. Again, subsequent Drafting Phase will result in drawing one less card from the draw deck than you did in the previous round.
EXAMPLE: Round 8: Draw 5 cards, Round 9: Draw 4 cards, Round 10: draw 3 cards, Round 11: draw 2 cards, Round 12: draw 1 card)

MAP PHASE
The Map Phase for this variant does not change from the original game's rules. You will still abide by all placement restrictions and will still be able to Terraform a single Fallow Square at the end of each Map Phase if able.

SCORING
-After the 12th round you will score as per normal Hokkaido scoring.

PLAYING WITH GOAL CARDS

**Playing with Goal cards is optional but could add to the challenge of your game.

-Goal Cards are to be read for this variant by replacing the words "First to" with the word "Must".
Example:
Goal Card #1
Original Text: "First to have 5 separate Forest areas."
Variant Text: "Must have 5 separate Forest areas."

-Shuffle the Goal Cards face down and reveal the top card, placing it to near the draw deck as a reminder. This is now a goal you MUST meet by the end of your 12th round or you automatically lose the game!

-For even more of a challenge keep revealing cards this way, one at a time, until you are satisfied with the number of goals you must meet by the end of the game.

=======================================================================

This variant is still considered a work in progress so please let me know in the comments what you think if you decide to try it out. Also let me know if anything can be improved upon in this variant as I am always open to suggestions!

Thanks for this Dejun.

Is there an indication of what a decent score is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.