Subject: Is the game play interesting enough compared to stuffed fables. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Avelar
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So after reading through this whole forum, I am still trying to figure if this is more strategic than Stuffed Fables. I have played Stuffed Fables once and didn't think the decision making was great for experienced gamers. The story line was fine, but geared towards kids.

Is this game more strategic?
If so how long should it take for the whole campaign?

If this is more strategic and a longer campaign I feel that it will be perfect for my game group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Boxer
msg tools
mbmb
Dice Tower mentioned they have a copy(prototype?) so I hope that means others have it as well and we will get to know more over the next few weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balazs Szendroi
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've received it for christmas and played it twice since (started a campaign). From my 2 sessions I think I can tell you safely that there isn't too much depth to the gameplay, you either pull the correct dice or not. If not, you have some way to increase your or a teammate's odds for next turn. When you have a good pull it feels great, you can accomplish a lot in a turn, even swapping back the dice you used to eliminate opponents and chaining it, but there will be times when you feel your pull is useless. If the mechanic will be improved in later games of the storybook series it could evolve into a really enjoyable system, but it's not there yet.

A campaign of Comanauts includes 6 play sessions, and one session is around 90-120 minutes for us with 2 players. There are 11 bosses and areas in the game, and while you will see most of the pages after one campaign in the book, you might need to play 2 campaigns to see everything. The problem is that since everything is fixed, already during our second game we just rushed through the pages we already knew, since it's the same thing every time. The events are the same, the enemies and the loot are the same, the possible changes are minor, usually they are about how you can get to the next page. The difference between playing a scenario and the campaign is that after each campaign session you will read a small additional paragraph, but so far these didn't really add anything special at all to the story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
szendroib wrote:
I've received it for christmas and played it twice since (started a campaign)...

How come people do play a game that isn’t released yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balazs Szendroi
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It can be bought in multiple stores at us, not sure about the details, but it arrived in decemer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Calw
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
szendroib wrote:
I've received it for christmas and played it twice since (started a campaign)...

How come people do play a game that isn’t released yet?

I bought the game from a German online retailer in December. In fact, I just checked and they still have it in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior Gildar
Israel
flag msg tools
May I ask which online retailer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Calw
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LiorGildar wrote:
May I ask which online retailer?

I'm not sure if it's allowed to post links to shops in the forums but I sent you a GM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.