BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What's your top ten non-hobby gaming hobbies? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Here's mine;

10. Cycling, I don't ride nearly as much as I used to, but it's still fun. I mostly road bike but I like to occasionally mountain bike as well.

9. Movies, TV series, historical, drama, documentary, mystery, sci-fi, war/action adventure. This is much more popular than hobby gaming with friends and family.

8. Carpentry, knick-knacks and smaller projects.

7. Knife-making, I don't make my own blades but I like making handles and using different materials.

6. Guns, Some hunting but mostly target shooting.

5. Hiking/Camping/Survival, I don't get to do this as much I would like to but it is nice to get away from the modern lifestyle for a few days.

4. Fishing, very relaxing and the fish taste great.

3. Reading, fiction and nonfiction, good reads are the best.

2. Disc Golf, cheaper and easier than real golf.

1. Web Surfing, duh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adam wilson wrote:

1. Web Surfing, duh.

Which websites?

modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I only have about 4 hobbies I spend much time or money on.

3. Aquariums - I used to have a lot of tanks from 10 to 100g, then I went cold turkey for a few years, and now starting up again with a couple small tanks. Mostly freshwater, a little saltwater.

2. Cycling - I bike-commute to work most days and avidly watch road racing like the Grand Tours and Classics.

1. Ultralight backpacking/hiking - it’s hard to get away for more than a night or 2 at a time, but I spend a good amount of time working on gear tweaks and planning trips. Getting into hammocking and improving my knot skills right now, for the summer. Need to get some more snowshoe hikes in this season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Ririe
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
new user
1. Designing and printing T-Shirts

2. Spending time with my wife (Usually Netflix or board games)

3. Dog Training - Our German Shepherd's name is Ahsoka

4. Xbox One - Destiny, Halo, and Forza are the three main games I play, but Spyro is my new addiction!

5. Nintendo Switch - Smash Bros., BOTW, Pokémon, and Mario Kart 8.

6. Heroes of the Storm

7. TV Shows - The Office, Parks & Recreation, The Big Bang Theory

8. Reading - Primarily Star Wars novels

9. Basketball

10. Woodworking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Top 10?! We're supposed to have more than ten hobbies?

(1) Riding on my scooter (red Vespa LX 125), I like going out into the countryside in Essex and Hertfordshire. Love doing it in summer when it's hot and you have a constant cooling breeze from whizzing along.

(2) Feeding and trying to befriend the cats on my estate. One used to hiss at me but now she begrudgingly lets me stroke her when she's eating some of my cat treats. That's progress!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Comics - About 10 years ago I got back into comics and really enjoy it. I really like the ease of access, the crispness of colors, and the lack of storage space required for digital comics.

2. Craft beer (drinking, not making) - I have a few favorites that I'll get, but I really enjoy trying new beers. It's also interesting to see how the popular style of beer changes.

3. Fishing - I haven't gone as much in the past couple years as I'd like. But, it's a nice way to relax.

4. Movies - I go to quite a few movies every year.

5. Reading - Comics have kind of taken place of most of my reading time, but I still enjoy a few novels a year. I tend to listen to an audio book or two when travelling on vacation.

6. Home improvement - Maybe it's not so much a hobby, but it's been a big focus of my time and money the past few years. We recently tore down a garage to put up a bigger one. Completely re-landscaped the yard (still a little left to do on this), with a ton of plans for future improvements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BionicRogue21 wrote:

6. Heroes of the Storm

HotS was my gaming addiction from around 2016-2017. Sad to hear that Blizzard is no longer supporting HotS competitively now. It was a super fun game.

Sgt. Hammer in a solo lane was my jam. Being in seige mode and destroying the enemy towers from afar was so much fun, and then making her global bullet ultimate loop around the map would just end the game.

Good times. Good times.

pawnvsdice wrote:

(1) Riding on my scooter (red Vespa LX 125), I like going out into the countryside in Essex and Hertfordshire. Love doing it in summer when it's hot and you have a constant cooling breeze from whizzing along.

I used to ride a scooter, it was a Honda PCX 125. I only had it for about 6 months but that bike was super fun to ride. I traded up for a Honda Shadow and still ride that bike to this day. I admit though, sometimes I wish I still had that scooter, it was a super efficient way to travel. 90 mpg and a full tank of gas only cost $5. Really wish more people would consider buying a scooter/motorcycle as a secondary means of transportation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Ririe
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
new user
Ryan Keane wrote:
3. Aquariums - I used to have a lot of tanks from 10 to 100g, then I went cold turkey for a few years, and now starting up again with a couple small tanks. Mostly freshwater, a little saltwater.

What kind of creatures do you normally keep in the aquariums?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pruitt
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read.
I shoot.
I run.

Are there really a lot of people with 10+ hobbies?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
BionicRogue21 wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:

What kind of creatures do you normally keep in the aquariums?

Fish, live plants, and the occasional shrimp in my fw tanks.

Sw tank had fish, coral, algae, shrimp, crabs, snails, sea stars, worms, sponges, pods....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have 10, but . . .

3. Reading - I enjoy the classics (I'm currently working my way through the Easton Press collection of the 100 Greatest Books Ever Written). I also enjoy pulp fiction (I have the entire Bantam Books paperback series of Doc Savage novels and short stories). Crime stories are also very interesting (true or fiction).

2. Comic book collecting - I know, this also qualifies as "reading," but it's a different animal. I'll buy just about anything pre-1990 or so, but I mostly focus on Marvel and DC superheroes from the 1960s - 80s.

1. Movies - All movies, any movies (almost). I have a DVD/blu-ray collection of 3,500+ titles (including several TV series). I have musicals, dramas, action, horror, sci-fi, westerns, comedies, you name it, from the silent era to present. Plus Netflix . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I cang afford much else after board gaming nor do I have that much time to do more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
ShotgunGames wrote:
adam wilson wrote:

1. Web Surfing, duh.

Which websites?

modest

youtube

bgg

random net searches
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
Jhogun wrote:
I read.
I shoot.
I run.

Are there really a lot of people with 10+ hobbies?

I could probably squeeze most of mine into "going outside"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:

3. Aquariums - I used to have a lot of tanks from 10 to 100g.

This must mean something different to what I think it means.

Either that or you keep very, very small fish...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alazṓn Theatre
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Meoww
mbmbmbmbmb

10) Whitewater canoeing / camping in early spring and summer

9) Up until the end of last year scanning my Dad's collection of 3500 slide photos into digital format - now have to start scanning the print photos.

8) Reading - mostly history, psychology, philosophy, and religion/mythology

7) Family genealogy - this is a major time suck for a few weeks at a time throughout the year. Currently stuck at year 1715 (10 generations).

6) Youtube videos of whatever rabbit hole I have climbed down that week - usually numberphile, or some space exploration doc.

5) Netflix

4) Petting, playing with, and cleaning up after 3 cats and a dog

3) Boxing twice a week

2) Kick boxing 3 times a week

1) Krav maga twice a week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
10 seems like a lot. I think I have a lot of hobbies, but still shy of 10.

Book Collecting

Thrifting/Re-selling

Running

Horse Racing (thoroughbred)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Top 10?

I don't think I have 10 hobbies.

And I'd hate to try to rank them. Some I enjoy more than others at certain times, but that always seems to change.

I'll give it a shot though...

- Gardening - My wife and I have a decent size garden and are always planning how to make it larger. Mostly vegetables and fruit. Last year we grew all the tomatoes we needed for a years worth of spaghetti sauce.

- LEGO - I sell Lego on Bricklink so I'm also interested in the 'toy' as a hobby.

- Camping - I love camping, especially in the mountains.

- Star Wars - Anything Star Wars. I watch Youtube videos on it, podcasts and I love listening to most of the audiobooks.

I think that's about it. I enjoy some movies and TV, but that's not really what I would consider a hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Chrysm wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:

g as in gallons, not grams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chrysm wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:

I think he's using g for gallons, not grams.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
Chrysm wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:

Ohhhhhhhh.

I kind of liked the idea of teeny weeny fish tanks though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Fennic wrote:

7) Family genealogy - this is a major time suck for a few weeks at a time throughout the year. Currently stuck at year 1715 (10 generations).

Oops, I forgot this one, but yes, my wife and I spend a lot of time on this, off and on. Largely free, although she has been spending a little recently ordering some non-digitized docs. Most of my branches either stop around 1800 with the parents of our 19th century immigrant ancestors, or go back very far for our branches that trace back to 17th century colonists that have been well researched by others far back into the European records.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Chrysm wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:
Chrysm wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:

Ohhhhhhhh.

I kind of liked the idea of teeny weeny fish tanks though.

There are some tiny tanks people set up with just plants or maybe one shrimp. 3.5 gal is about the smallest I’ve set up as a long-term tank, although I’ve had smaller tubs for growing out fry or live food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. Video games (Darkest Dungeon, Shadow of Mordor, Overwatch)
2. Weight Lifting
3. Collecting super hero art prints
4. Decorating my game room
5. Watching anime
6. Taking trips
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray S
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are other hobbies outside of board games?

1. Reading - I enjoy the classics as well and have a library full of the Barnes & Noble classics collection. Reading The Last of the Mohicans currently and hope to read a book a month this year.

2. Hiking/Backpacking - Living in Colorado I've got loads of places to go and spend outside if I make the time. Much less spent backing but still enjoy a good day hike in nice weather. We had a 65 degree day on Sunday and it was beautiful to get out in.

3. Disc golf, yoga, Krav Maga - Other activities to stay in shape. Yoga gets done more than the others since the wife likes it the most.

4. Movies - I enjoy watching them at home more than at the theater now days. Sci-fi, fantasy, classics, drama, suspense and action are my favorites but I will watch just about anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.