Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
51 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Fury of Dracula (third/fourth edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Anyone else waiting for the hand size misprint to be fixed before buying? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eduardo Roman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I am DYING to play this but I get OCD about misprints like this, waiting until that misprint is fixed and in stock before buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toby Webb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've got the 4th edition (pre-order). I'm wondering if WizKids will replace the misprinted boards and possibly the discoloured event cards if I fill in a replacement form here: https://win.wizkids.com/wrs_index.php

Anyone from WizKids on here that would care to answer that question, or do I have to return the product?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
My experience with wizkids and game piece replacements is eventually you will get through to somebody. Maybe. Some time in the future. Or not. But you will get the replacement part(s). Some time. In the future. Almost certainly within 6 months. Unless it takes longer. Which you won't be told as nobody will reply to you. But it will get done.

(But I hear their production quality is improving! I think. Maybe. )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have your receipt. And a small vial of blood, for identification purposes...

Terrible, but coming from their collectable clix background, you can see how those processes would havwe d3eveloped. Ridiculous for a board game publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was about to buy this, now I will wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is only one customer support guy at WizKids and they work part time 5 minutes a week. Or at least that is what it feels like, as it takes months for them to get to your request. I have placed 4 requests over the years and three of them took around 4 months to get any attention, one didn't get even solved and one is still outstanding for second or third month.

But they're not reprinting this anytime soon, I doubt fixed boards are available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
msg tools
If you're honestly not buying a game you want to play over a minor misprint, then you have far bigger issues to worry about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hollon
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
While annoying, this isn't a breaking change. I believe it is John Seward that has the extra slot and it states that as his "special ability" on his player board. So knowing that 3 is the default and 4 is special for that one character, then it is pretty minor.

I would like to have corrected boards, but this is not a breaking change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Pettit
United States
California
flag msg tools
Mine is on it's way, finely, and I tell you based on the remarks of faulty and missing components I am a little on edge with what to expect when it arrives. The only thing worring me is the screw up on the color backing on the Hunter and Dracula cards....the key is suspense....and knowing your going to pull one or the other just takes that right out of it and is a thematic no, no on their part. Seems like they were late so long that they said "ok, slap this thing togather and lets roll it out". This has got to be the best hidden/search game ever and they seem to not really give a toss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Riley
United Kingdom
Bridport
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just put the cards in a bag then so you draw without looking at the card back.

I got the 4th edition and have given my 3rd edition to a charity shop. The only item I swapped out was the 3rd edition board which is lighter and clearer. All the other 4th edition components are superior IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have received my 4th edition copy of the game and have the misprinted boards and colour-discrepancy Event Cards but I don't think they are enough of a reason to not buy the game. Once the Event Deck is well shuffled you can't really tell from the edges what card you will draw from the bottom, which is the only time the Dracula cards are of importance, and the tiny hand-size graphic on the boards is not worth quibbling about either. I agree Wizkids could have done it better but I doubt these minor issues will spoil my enjoyment of the game.

[EDIT]

If the Event Deck card backs are really bugging people then sleaving them would probably solve it as the visible edge would then be the plastic of the card sleave.

Another solution would be to draw 3 cards from the bottom and roll a d6. 1-2 you draw the first one, 3-4 the second, and 5-6 the third, then put the others back and shuffle the deck.

[EDIT 2]

Kind of taking the above back as just had another look at the Event Cards and it's really hard to draw one card from the bottom without seeing a significant portion of several other cards near the bottom. Wizkids ought to be ashamed of themselves for not considering how these cards are actually used in play when making their printing/card-design decisions. Shame on them for such a stupid mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not waiting here. Mine's on its way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Pettit
United States
California
flag msg tools
Yah.....no kidding......Tom and Zee from the Dice Tower both think this game is tops for it's theme and mechanics....they are probably rolling their eyes about how Wizkids have handled this reprint. I hope they do another playthrough with this latest reprint and give us their respected take on how this plays now.Perhaps Wizkids will give it the priority this game deserves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goatleaf wrote:

This! Will be putting mine in a suitably themed bag as soon as I get to play it as this solution seems by far the simplest and most aesthetically pleasing to use. Forget my suggestions in a previous post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy N
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dwpestates wrote:
Yah.....no kidding......Tom and Zee from the Dice Tower both think this game is tops for it's theme and mechanics....they are probably rolling their eyes about how Wizkids have handled this reprint.

Perhaps "rolling their eyes" should have been done during Tom's Daily Unboxing video made in November. Seems to me that would have been a good time to do a comprehensive evaluation of the game components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff H
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
new user
Baldrick0712 wrote:
goatleaf wrote:

This! Will be putting mine in a suitably themed bag as soon as I get to play it as this solution seems by far the simplest and most aesthetically pleasing to use. Forget my suggestions in a previous post.

Good idea. I was thinking you could also have Dracula hand out the cards, keeping them behind a cardboard screen. In either situation since you can't see the top of the deck there's no reason to draw from the bottom anymore. I may not be thinking deviously enough but I don't see an advantage to Dracula (considerations of cheating aside).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Pettit
United States
California
flag msg tools
You have a good point....but Tom blasts through those unboxings really fast so perhaps Zee might be better suited for an Evaluation as he did a short one between the 2nd and 3rd Edition and seems to know more in detail what the differences might be and should pop out at him upon review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmo Warner
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read about the misprinted board and the two colours of card backs and bought it from a local comic shop anyway.

I was more worried about the number of people who had missing components, but thankfully I had a full game! (I was worried for a moment about the locations until I realized Castle Dracula is card 14! I thought I was missing a single card for a few minutes!)

As for drawing from the deck without seeing what's coming up on the bottom, my solution is each time cards are done being drawn from the bottom, remove the top card and place it aside, shuffle the remainder, and then place the top card back where it was.

I find after doing this I have no idea if it's a hunter or Dracula card on the bottom, and I haven't messed up what the top card was going to be.

(An easy fix, and I don't mind doing it, but I'm not letting Wizkids off the hook! I want replacements someday and this shouldn't have happened in the first place.)

Since I've only read the rules and haven't had an actual game yet, correct me if I'm wrong: Wouldn't placing the cards into a bag or behind a screen affect Hunter strategy? Knowing what the top card is can affect what action you take, can't it? If it's day and you see that it's a Dracula card on top, you may want to wait until night and draw from the bottom and hopefully have better luck. Of course, SOMEBODY has to burn through the Dracula card at some point if people ever hope to get events in the day, but it's never supposed to be random. You're supposed to know what the card is and make your choice accordingly. Again, correct me if I'm missing something!)

(Edited to add the last paragraph and move some stuff around.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaytee1 wrote:
If you're honestly not buying a game you want to play over a minor misprint, then you have far bigger issues to worry about.

Lots of games to choose from. I am in no rush. I wasn’t aware that wanting the product to meet common expectations was a sign of having issues?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Grayle84 wrote:

Lots of games to choose from. I am in no rush. I wasn’t aware that wanting the product to meet common expectations was a sign of having issues?

Gaming is weird.
I don't see anything wrong with high expectations as a consumer.
If you were to return a pair of pants because there was a stain down the back of one leg you didn't notice when you bought them I doubt many would criticize you.
Complain about the quality of a games production and some folks just don't understand it.

I recently received a game I backed on KickStarter where I noticed the top of the board was separating from it's backing at the center fold. Every time I opened it I risked tearing the facing or worsening the separation
I contacted the manufacturer asking for if I could receive a replacement board.
They got one out to me, but commented when I first contacted them "I'm sorry your game wasn't perfect".
Really? thumbsdown

Then on the other end of the spectrum there are game producers that go out of their way to send out a card to replace one that was misprinted. thumbsup

Guess which I want to back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Jaytee1 wrote:

EVERYBODY who frequents a gaming forum has SOME kind of issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Astley
msg tools
Lowden025 wrote:
Jaytee1 wrote:

Touche

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
Jaytee1 wrote:

One of the best comments I read in a long time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
I contacted the manufacturer asking for if I could receive a replacement board.
They got one out to me, but commented when I first contacted them "I'm sorry your game wasn't perfect".
Really? thumbsdown

There's a very real chance they sincerely meant it. A publisher who takes pride in their product -wants- you to have a "perfect" product, and could be genuinely disappointed you got a bad one. They say tone and body language are key in communication, and without those elements what seems genuine to the writer reads as sarcasm to receiver.

Or maybe he's just a jerk. I dunno.

(I am curious -who- this was though)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A pity about the misprints... in my experience though WK replacements are great, they are very nice and easy to talk to.

As for the card backs - it doesn't matter at all within the game, the way you draw cards really means this difference is meaningless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.