BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Phantom Falls rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I got a glimpse from a train window of a rare phenomenon.

Phantom falls occur in the right conditions - there has to be the right amount of moisture in the air and temperatures on the clifftops and in the valley below. And you get what looks like a cloud tipping over the cliff and falling down like a waterfall.

I was on a train and could only see it for about 10 seconds, but it was pretty stunning looking.

(not my footage)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris
United States
bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Very impressive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've been hoping to see it for quite some time. There's a spot where it generally happens apparently but it's been so dry up until the last month and it's not predictable, and rare, so I haven't caught it.

Imagine my surprise when I looked up out the window of the train, in a spot where I haven't heard of it happening, and there it was.

I think the locality where it was occurring is known, maybe somewhat appropriately, as Asgard, with the clouds rolling off Valhalla.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris
United States
bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Is it close to an ocean? It is beautiful! How long does it last at any given time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's about 100 miles from the sea.
It's a bit of an odd landscape and geographic location.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Mountains_(New_South_Wa...)

Basically a vast sandstone escarpment that has had thousands of valleys and gorges cut down into it over the millenia. So you get those big vertical cliffs, flat(ish) on top, with very different conditions on top and below.

And the plains to the west, which can get very warm but also very cold, have an impact too.

As for how long the falls go, I believe they go anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple of hours. This is where they normally occur, or so I've been told, on and over the narrow ridges at the bottom of the picture:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris
United States
bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Adding to my bucket list because it is that fascinating!

Thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Henry
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind—Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at the Fog Bowl in 1988 (Eagles at Bears) and it looked kind of like that as the fog rolled over the top of the stadium and down onto the field. We left in the second half because we couldn't see the field at all. In retrospect, I really wish we had stayed anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.