BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best Worker Placement Game for Two Players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Game Geek
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Best Worker Placement Game for Two Players?
Now that all of these games have been out for a while, I would love to see what the consensus is. I don't have any of them, but would love to get into them.
      133 answers
Poll created by bromide
Closes: Mon Apr 8, 2019 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lilian K
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Redwood City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will make my regular pitch for Caylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
capitalgamer wrote:
Targi?

I’m guessing he’s asking between Uwe Rosenberg games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Parker
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those all range in how they are different from one another. But they do differ in plenty of ways for me to own them all. And... I love them all. I play mostly two players with my wife. Arle is my favorite and a Feast for Odin is maybe catching up. My wife’s favorite is Caverna the cave farmers. The micro 2 player versions like cave vs cave would be okay if I didn’t know what I was missing from their respective big brothers. We have 10 Uwe Games now and I can not say enough good things. Huge fan!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really dig the “micro” versions. Especially now that All Creatures Bid and Small has the big box. Sometimes I want the Rosenberg feel without the set up or time commitment.

+1 for Merkator if you guys haven’t tried it. It’s one of my favorites, right next to Glass Road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeAubrey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
in more boxes
badge
mbmbmb
No one's going to bring up that you're asking this in a Fields of Arle forum? Seems unlikely any other game will win.

But still, no choice for AFFO? A Feast For Odin is my choice (so I picked "Other").
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
JoeAubrey wrote:
No one's going to bring up that you're asking this in a Fields of Arle forum? Seems unlikely any other game will win.

But still, no choice for AFFO? A Feast For Odin is my choice (so I picked "Other").

The same poll can be accessed in multiple places on BGG, allowing one vote per user regardless of location. So a similar post could be made in the other games' forums, sharing the same poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Parker
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeAubrey wrote:

Great point. I didn’t even realize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very biased place to ask that hahaha. I also recommend alchemists with the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Jmparker wrote:
Those all range in how they are different from one another. But they do differ in plenty of ways for me to own them all. And... I love them all. I play mostly two players with my wife. Arle is my favorite and a Feast for Odin is maybe catching up. My wife’s favorite is Caverna the cave farmers. The micro 2 player versions like cave vs cave would be okay if I didn’t know what I was missing from their respective big brothers. We have 10 Uwe Games now and I can not say enough good things. Huge fan!!

Yeah, I agree. ACBAS, Agricola and Fields of Arle do a lot of the same things (obviously), but they play fairly differently and in fairly different time frames. I own all three and play them at different times. I also own a Cave vs Cave and that one feels a bit different.

I feel like if you like one you’ll likely like the others. Be warned that some (misled) people think “feeding people is so hard” in Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
educatedgravy wrote:
capitalgamer wrote:
Targi?

I’m guessing he’s asking between Uwe Rosenberg games.

Not necessarily.... These are all "classics", but I don't own any of them. And since they tend to be expensive, I wanted to get the one most recommended for two people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
capitalgamer wrote:
Targi?

I have not heard of this one! I will have to add it to my consideration.

What do you like about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
I will make my regular pitch for Caylus.

This is another one that I have not heard of.

What do you like about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jmparker wrote:
I play mostly two players with my wife. Arle is my favorite and a Feast for Odin is maybe catching up. My wife’s favorite is Caverna the cave farmers. The micro 2 player versions like cave vs cave would be okay if I didn’t know what I was missing from their respective big brothers.

ARRRGGGHHH!!!! I meant to include A Feast for Odin! GAH!

In comparing the two Caverna games, I've heard comments similar to yours. Does the quicker setup of Cave vs Cave make it better, or am I better off with Cave Farmers because it will be more enjoyment?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
educatedgravy wrote:
I really dig the “micro” versions. Especially now that All Creatures Bid and Small has the big box. Sometimes I want the Rosenberg feel without the set up or time commitment.

+1 for Merkator if you guys haven’t tried it. It’s one of my favorites, right next to Glass Road.

I haven't heard of either of those games. Merkator is your favorite of the two?

I assume by micro you mean A:ACBaS and Cave vs Cave? Are there others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeAubrey wrote:

When I posted it, I didn't think there was a way to cross post multiple forums. Plus, I figured that there was enough people with several games of that style.

AFFO should have been on the list, but I forgot when making the poll. How is the setup time with AFFO?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
The same poll can be accessed in multiple places on BGG, allowing one vote per user regardless of location. So a similar post could be made in the other games' forums, sharing the same poll.

Ah! That's neat! Although part of me wants to make a new poll to fix not including A Feast for Odin in the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Geek
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
ACBAS, Agricola and Fields of Arle do a lot of the same things (obviously), but they play fairly differently and in fairly different time frames. I own all three and play them at different times. I also own a Cave vs Cave and that one feels a bit different.

I feel like if you like one you’ll likely like the others. Be warned that some (misled) people think “feeding people is so hard” in Agricola.

What are the different timeframes of those games? If I have the potential to end up liking them all, what is the best one to start with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeAubrey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
in more boxes
badge
mbmbmb
bromide wrote:
JoeAubrey wrote:

When I posted it, I didn't think there was a way to cross post multiple forums. Plus, I figured that there was enough people with several games of that style.

AFFO should have been on the list, but I forgot when making the poll. How is the setup time with AFFO?
For us, Caverna and Fields of Arle have longer setup times than AFFO. The difference is no tiles that need randomized or placed on certain boards. All small tiles for AFFO come in plastic organizers and the large tiles don't need any organization (only the mountain strips need a little fiddling).

But when it comes to playtime, AFFO will probably be the longer of the three.

ACBAS has a very simple setup (moments) and I assume Cave vs. Cave is equivalent (though I've never played it). Agricola takes a little longer to setup, but nothing near FoA, Caverna, or AFFO.

Edit: Oh, I meant to say, put Nusfjord on your radar. It's another worker placement Uwe that has very quick turns, so it works great at all player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dan parker
United Kingdom
Lincoln
Lincs England
flag msg tools
badge
Rolling Sixes all the way!
mbmbmbmbmb
Caverna, ditch the boards you use to put the rooms on and just put them straight on the table. We have all the bits in a multi compartment plastic embroidery box. Just take off the lid and ready to go.

Can then play 2p easi;y and quickly even on little tables. Great stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeAubrey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
in more boxes
badge
mbmbmb
danevilparker wrote:
Caverna, ditch the boards you use to put the rooms on and just put them straight on the table. We have all the bits in a multi compartment plastic embroidery box. Just take off the lid and ready to go.

Can then play 2p easi;y and quickly even on little tables. Great stuff
We might be able to do this after a few more plays, but I like to visually compartmentalize the effects of the room tiles the way they are placed on the boards. It helps me think out the possible strategies. So I'm not ditching the boards yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maureen Riley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I love Fields of Arle, but I still think Targi is the best 2-player worker placement game out there. It's unique and a lot of fun, but not as complicated as FoA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
trekgirlmo wrote:
I love Fields of Arle, but I still think Targi is the best 2-player worker placement game out there. It's unique and a lot of fun, but not as complicated as FoA.

I love Targi too, but I don't think I'd ever find myself in a position where I'd be deciding between the two. Targi takes about 60 minutes, maybe a little less, but feels like a much larger game and is very satisfying for the time it takes. FoA takes 2+ hours and is an incredible sandbox with so many paths to victory it reminds in feel if not actual gameplay of Splotter games, which I love to death.

I definitely think Targi compares to the likes of ACBaS and C:CvC, and I much prefer it over those, which are also great games, but FoA is currently my favourite Rosenberg game by quite a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Parker
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, I love all of the bigger games. Caverna the cave farmers vs cave vs cave is not really a question. Cave bs cave is mostly cool because it REMINDS ME OF Cave farmers. Cave vs cave has no animals, no farming, no adventuring. Not really a comparison as far as how great they are. Cave farmers is sooo much better.

Are there other micro games? La havre also has a 2 player version.

Cave farmers is a sandbox style where you can win by choosing your own path, you can do anything you want. I love that.

Fields of arle is the same way but is more “realistic” in the way it deals with life and farming, you need to buy equipment, build dikes to expand your farm into the ocean tidelands, seasons are important in that certain things are done in certain seasons. You can sell specific goods to different towns that need them.

A feast for Odin is more focused and requires more forward thinking because you need to be good at thinking about future turns in order to fill your grids with Tetris shaped goods tiles. If you enjoy and are good at packing the trunk before going on vacation as an example. It is a lot about geometric form arrangement in unforgiving areas. It is very different in that way. Think about a really complicated game of Tetris where you can be constantly rewarded for putting pieces in the right place and gauging priorities. Also the hunting, whaling, pillaging elements are different that the others ( you roll dice and can adjust the roll using tools and resources) there are no dice in the other games. Really its a completely different game than the others but somehow still amazing in regards to the game itself and in that the same guy (Uwe), can keep creating games that are all great but go about it so differently with different mechanisms and still shine on their own.

Yes, Merkator, glass road and agricola are good, but dont do as much as the three above.

My recommendation would be for Caverna as a first purchase. Even though I personally like Arle the best.

But be aware, one Uwe purchase for me turned into 9 more purchased within 8 months. And out of my 150 or so games, I would always rather play Caverna, Arle or Odin. They make the games I used to love (Carcassonne, ticket to ride, Alhambra) feel like candyland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.