5 Posts

Hand of Fate: Ordeals» Forums » General

Subject: Potential balancing issues regarding party size for campaigns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ewan Walker
Australia
flag msg tools
So for context, a friend of mine and myself had played through a competitive game and the entire skulls campaign ourselves, and largely enjoyed our experience. Then just to get a taste of other content, we attempted the Dust campaign, again just us 2.

To cut a long story short, the Dust campaign is incredibly difficult. I don't just mean a challenging slog, I mean between the two of us, fighting off 24 random minion encounters converging on one point from different directions, all while trying to stay alive, gain the fame required to win the scenario, and actually amass enough weapons and armour to have a fighting chance, feels almost impossible. We tried twice in vain before everything fell apart both times when the 3-minion waves started converging.

The dust campaign rules don't explicitly state either WHY there is a jack encounter in a defense-oriented scenario or which Jack to use, but at a guess we used the Jack of Dust for obvious reasons. This de-incentivises exploration since revealing the Jack encounter immediately destroys your weapon, which is a massive setback when you're holding off waves that can have 4-power minions in them, usually with only 3 turns of prep.

It seems obvious at this point that house rules might be needed and I'm willing to accept that maybe we were just playing very sub-optimally, but the campaign doesn't seem to be made for anything less than 3-4 players. The only party-size rule adjustments stated is that solo players get two turns before the waves advance. This only handicaps them to the pace a 2-player game. 3 and 4 player parties are able to cover every lane of attack while also being able to support eachother with more character abilities.

In conclusion, how much were the campaigns playtested with various playgroup sizes? This speed bump has really demoralized my friend and I from trying the Scales and Plague campaigns given they seem even harder than Dust. Does anyone have ideas for house rules that would alleviate these problems and is an erata for the game expected any time soon given all the other ruling problems users have run into?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nisses Clan Skryre
Belgium
Sint-Lievens-Houtem
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tried this same scenario solo twice.
It did not end well.

I find it unfortunate that the campaign seems to be made for 3-4 players, when there is so little group interaction however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly this goes in the file of examples of Kickstarters that release too many variants and modes all at the same time, while the game is really designed to be played competitively. I don't mind the difficulty, but there's really no good player count scaling in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Corbally
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mentioned this in another thread so I'll join in here... seems like the more the merrier in the co-op mode; unless I'm missing some scaling mechanism. I agree this is a bit sad; but I'm sure someone will come up with a good variant to fix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jardal
msg tools
Dang, that's a bummer. Guess I'll be multi-handing solo like in the lotr lcg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.