Joe Blow
msg tools

Late age 2, Nap to arrive at any moment. I just won wealthy territory 1, which my opponent only put a bid of 2 for.

Here it is my opponent's(green)turn. They are facing a 9 point deficit, but with not enough food to make a pop and put it in cannon. If this player was to have defensive army in their hand( and what to do if you didn't), would it be a correct play to sac one yellow off of ag and put it in cannon and play the tactic, or would you just pray your opponent doesn't have an aggression and proceed normally? Maybe hope that if an aggression does land, that it won't be raid 2? I see this situation come up occasionally and am never sure what to do.

If green doesn't sac infrastructure, would anybody takes Robes to give an extra MA and hope that a tactic card comes on the next draw?

Outcome: Green destroys one farm and places the yellow into cannon but does not have a tactic. Green does not pick up Robes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely sack the starting agriculture and move him to cannon if I had the tactic (which I would play). I would probably also do it if I had double defense cards (enabling a defense against a possible aggression from you).

If I couldn’t defend it with a new cannon + whatever defense cards I had then I would leave it on agriculture ensuring I have enough food for a new pop next turn (barring any possible aggression loss).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would only do it with the tactic.
Because it puts me within 2 strength of the other, which I can defend with any cards in my hand.
Without the tactic, I need to hold two defense cards, and use both of them, while having drawn no cards this round. As an aggressor, I'll play the aggression to force you to use those cards, and bet that you don't have two defense cards again next turn.

Either way, it's an unpalatable choice. In this instance I'm more likely to double down and resign myself to eating one aggression, instead boosting farm output, making a Cannon next turn instead.

I don't think I'm taking Robes. The MA is tempting, but Napo's still out and giving Napo to opponent for 1CA while they're ahead in military isn't wise. Especially since I've apparently gone bonkers and taken CoL and Pyramids, I have CA to burn but my opp doesn't: 3CA Napo hurts him more than it does me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eske _
msg tools
Given Green's amount of CA and that he choose to research Cannons, how can he not have Defensive Army? Did he need the ore from Leo to do something? Or is it an elaborate bluff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eske _
msg tools
Drawdown wrote:
I just won wealthy territory 1, which my opponent only put a bid of 2 for.
Wealthy Territory 1 is the one that gives 6 ore. It doesn't add up with the screenshot. Did you Mean some other territory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Blow
msg tools
On my turn I won wealthy territory. I used the ore to transition from Heavy Calvary to Classic Army by researching and playing riflemen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eske _
msg tools
Oh, it's Green's turn, of course. Sorry about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Blow
msg tools
No bluff here, my opponent definitely did not have any tactics with the cannon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S.C. Zalewski
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
CrushU wrote:
Especially since I've apparently gone bonkers and taken CoL and Pyramids

Could I please ask why do you think this is bonkers? I always thought more CA is better and having 2 extra rather than just 1 increases that advantage even further? Or is to do with the fact it compromises too much other parts of your civ that do not get as much attention?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Blow
msg tools
The theory is that the 6th CA isn't as useful as the fifth CA. Looks like my opponent would of been better off had he invested in MA instead of more CA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riku Koskinen
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zalek2 wrote:
CrushU wrote:
Especially since I've apparently gone bonkers and taken CoL and Pyramids

Could I please ask why do you think this is bonkers? I always thought more CA is better and having 2 extra rather than just 1 increases that advantage even further? Or is to do with the fact it compromises too much other parts of your civ that do not get as much attention?

After you already have 5th CA from Pyramids, using 6 science for Code of Laws is questionable even with 2x Alchemy and Leonardo. You would be much wiser to save science for Strategy/Constitutional Monarchy so that you could develop them as soon as possible when they become available. If opponent gets them, there's the option to get Republic and another source of MAs, or alternatively Justice System for 6th CA and wait for age III government. There's no way opponent takes them all, so it's beneficial to spare the 6 science from age I.

One better option than getting CoL here is also to take Monarchy instead of saving the science for age II governments, if in age I you have 8 science with no other immediate use and Monarchy is up for grabs. 6CA/3MA is sufficient and you'd really just want Strategy after that, and maybe Justice System or Civil Service or even age III government if they can be conveniently picked and science output is sufficient. Kremlin's nice too if happiness isn't an issue.

Regarding OP's question:

No Defensive Army in hand:
-I wouldn't make the cannon unit. Destroying any piece of infra hurts here, especially the Agriculture, and I'd need 2x defense cards anyway. If they can, opponent will still aggress to make me discard defense cards or reap the rewards, so cannon in no way prevents aggressions.
-If I have 2x +4def in hand, I'd take Robespierre and replace Leo. This way I could defend one aggression even without the cannon. It's not nice to give Nap to opponent, but there's still a 50% chance opponent gets Nap anyway, although it'll be costly for them. It would be a must to take the Cavalrymen and start building towards Classic Army too. I don't get why the Cannon tech was discovered there.
-If I don't have the defense cards, I just have to take aggression if they have it. Upgrading Agriculture here and doing other normal stuff.

Defensive Army in hand:
-If I don't have two defense cards in hand, I make the cannon unit but not by handicapping food production. I'd disband Iron because it's still passable to work with 4 res/turn. Disbanding farm makes it impossible to work towards 2x Defensive Army, or culture, or anything relevant due to lack of population. There's no culture engine for this player so they have to consider actual winning too, not just keeping up with army.
-If I have two +4 defense cards, I'd take Robes and replace Leo. I can now defend without destroying Iron, and next turn I can increase population and make the cannon.

Edit: Fixed a mistake in one line of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.