Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ShepparCon was a Blast!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Thank You to all those that attended BorderCon this year and made it special again!!!
mbmbmbmbmb

Image Courtesy of Horror Leader

This review continues my series of detailed reviews that attempt to be part review, part resource for anyone not totally familiar with the game. For this reason I expect readers to skip to the sections that are of most interest.

If you liked the review please thumb the top of the article so others have a better chance of seeing it and I know you stopped by. If you thumb the bottom as well, I consider that a bonus. Thanks for reading.

Summary

Game Type – Solo Dice (Worker Placement) Game
Play Time: 30 minutes
Number of Players: 1
Mechanics – Dice Rolling, Worker Placement
Difficulty – Pick-Up & Play (Can be learned in under 20 minutes)
Components – Very Good ++
Release – 2015

Designer – Tony Go

Overview and Theme

Stardate 1453.9 - Actually on second thoughts scrap that...I can't afford the licensing fee.

As the Captain of an RPTR class starship you are at the forefront of the United Earths Fleet (UEF). Having received a distress signal you instructed navigation to plot a course for a patch of space near the Auborne system. Upon warping in you realise that a well-laid trap awaits. An enemy cruiser with the ID Ouroboros appears to be the flagship and is supported by a ragtag flotilla of supporting cruisers and fighters. This is just another day in the life of a UEF Captain...you bark orders to all departments - science, engineering, tactical and medical. All will have to be on their 'game' today if you are to see planet-side again.

Those that follow my reviews will know that I love covering all types of games and in Deep Space D-6 I get to shine a little more light on a successful Print and Play design that came 3rd in the BGG competition for PnP's in 2015 and went on to become a Kickstarter Campaign, raising just over $250,000. That is quite the effort for a modest project such as this!

Grab those Warp Drive diagnostics will you? We need a little chat with the Chief Engineer!

mbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmbmb

The Components

The game is published by Tau Leader Games, cool name and a shout-out to the small players in the industry out there. Keep fighting the good fight. Be aware that I'm covering the Re-issue edition of the game that Kickstarted in 2017.

d10-1 The Ship Boards – These are really great quality from a small publisher. They are the perfect size to tell you all you need to know whilst still allowing the game to come in a tight little package.

The boards include locations to track Hull and Shield stats, place dice to activate actions and they even have a Damage Track down the right side that allows External Threats to be placed alongside. In summary, these boards are highly functional, look great and include a silhouette illustration of the Ship Class in question.

The boards can also fold in half to allow them to fit into the box. All in all these are fantastic.

The reverse side of the boards also include some thematic information on the class and outline a few game-play tips for getting the best out of the old girl whilst in the Captain's seat.

Image Courtesy of Alice87

d10-2 The Dice – The game comes with 7 dice. Six of them are custom icon dice that drive the game. The quality on these is great as the icons are etched and the use of different colours aids quick recognition.

The 7th dice is a regular d6. All dice come in the small format, which fits the small box nicely. You might be wondering why the game has 7 dice but uses d6 in the title? The simpler explanation is all the dice have six sides. I'll go out on a limb and say it is because the game utilises 6 custom dice and then a d6 to trigger Threats. Clever eh, eh?! meeple

Image Courtesy of DanjelRicci

d10-3 Threat Cards – These let the game down a little in the production department due to being relatively bland from an artwork point of view but they do the job well and I don't see them as an issue.

They don't feature a matte\linen finish but then again I don't expect that standard from a smaller publisher and I recognise that margins need to be maintained to make creating a game such as this viable.

The cards themselves are highly functional again, featuring a range of icons and a small amount of text to outline what they are and how they work. I like the ship silhouettes in the background as they give you a sense of the visual that is lumbering or streaking towards your ship in the deepness of space!

The cards use a horizontal format and are of a smaller size, allowing them to sit alongside the Damage Track.

d10-4 Rules and Extras – The above is all the game really needs to work but there is the inclusion of a lovely small translucent green and black cube to help track your Hull and Shield stats. A thin-vertical card is also provided to serve as the Infirmary and to hold dice that are free to be rolled in the next round. Being double-sided it also offers an easier and more challenging means for using the Infirmary.

This is the other element that perhaps could have been a little better. I have come across multiple ambiguities in the rules or the use of terms that suggest one thing (may be my interpretation) but actually mean another. On the whole they do a good job and I like the layout of them, but it has resulted in me needing to utilise the BGG forums a bit and pose some questions to the community. A big thumbs up to those that have been helpful and to Tony (designer) for his engagement and responses.

Of course a few rules niggles here and there are not going to trouble the solo-gamer community and once you have them sorted you are good to go.

d10-5 Packaging – I rarely mention this element of a game but I have to give big props for the design of the box. It's a really great size that can sit rather unassuming on your gaming shelves and it features a magnetic close (always a classy touch). The box front has also used some flourishes to make it look like a Choose Your Own Adventure Book (the red strip across the top, the visage of pages along the sides) and even a price along the spine like they used to have eons ago. The front cover art is also done in the CYOA style. The finishing touch is the inclusion of an ISBN number on the box-back.

Beyond being a clever replication of those books, the packaging also underlines the fact that this is a solo game in which you are in charge and your decisions will result largely in your success or failure (some luck aside). That is really neat and it is a subtle point that I can appreciate as a gamer.

Overall as a production, DSD6 gets most things spot on. It's just those rules issues and the blandness of the cards that hold it back from getting an Excellent rating from me. From a value for money point of view though, it gets the thumbs up.

Set-Up

One of the best things about DSD6 is that the game is a 1 minute set-up kind of affair. Simply pick the ship you want to use, Shuffle up the Threat Deck (and decide on if and how to incorporate the Ourorboros) and you are essentially away.

Oh you have to place the Infirmary card to the left of your Ship, Draw 2 Threats and place them in the correct locations and place the two cubes on the starting Hull and Shield values.

Determine a starting player (you'd be surprised how often it comes up as you) and you are away.

The Play

One of the best elements of Deep Space D-6 (DSD6) is that it knows exactly what it is and avoids any bloat in how it plays out. The game is played over a series of rounds and a single round looks very much like the following :-

d10-1 Roll Crew Dice - The dice represent your crew aboard your ship, those key positions that make a ship function...weapon systems (Tactical), Engineering, Science department, Medical and of course yourself...the Commander.

d10-2 Scan for Threats – The 6 dice are only rolled the once and any grey results are immediately placed at the top of the Ship Board, representing crew engaged in reading the Scanners. These results are bad as they result in locked dice and they cannot be used to activate any of your crew until a full scan is completed.

If all Scanner locations are filled, the ship has detected a new threat

Image Courtesy of Cube1701
(insert Homer Simpson voice...'damn you navigation!') and a new Threat Card must be drawn immediately and placed at its required location.

It is possible for the Scanners to be filled more than once as a result of a single roll. If this occurs, multiple threats must be drawn.

When the Scanners are filled, the dice are removed from the board and placed above the Infirmary, ready for collection at the end of the round.

d10-3 Assign Crew – This is the phase that requires the bulk of the decision making, but it is still quite quick. Essentially the player must assign each available dice to various sections of the ship and in doing so gain access to an ability. This is the worker placement element of the mechanics. It is possible to roll some results that have no use in a given round (opportunity to buff Shields but they are already max for example). These dice are simply ignored and available again for the next round.

Based on the icons rolled, they can be used for the following -

NB – Each of the 4 ships will use the various crew icons in different ways. For this reason I have listed general summaries of each icon here but a full outline can be found later in this review for each of the four ship classes.

mb Commander – Variable ability based on the class of ship you are flying. Tends to give the player more options...as one would expect from a Commander.

mb Tactical – Generally relates to Weapon Systems (doing damage to the enemy).

mb Medical – Frees up incapacitated crew (lost dice in the Infirmary or in other ways).

mb Science – Generally relates to recharging Shields.

mb Engineering – Generally aids in repairing the Hull damage.

mbmb Dealing Damage – If Tactical is on their toes, you will have managed to fire weapons and that means doing damage to the armada amassed before you. Each External Threat (mostly ships) have a Health Rating and are assigned against one of the values (1-4) on the right side of your Ship Board (the Damage Track).

When an External Threat is assigned damage it is moved down the required number of positions on the Damage Track. If a Threat is at one Health and takes damage, it is destroyed and sent to the discard pile.

d10-4 Internal and External Threats – DSD6 offers threats that can be both external (generally enemy ships) as well as internal (disease, boarding party etc). Sometimes these cards require or allow for the allocation of certain dice icons. Your dice represent things like Away Teams or just your logical crew taking care of business such as a medic dealing with a Pandemic for example. In these cases, rather than placing Crew Dice on the relevant section of your ship, they are placed on the required cards instead.

If a Threat requires multiple dice allocations and you only roll a part of the solution, useful dice can still be allocated and left on the card. The drawback is that any dice used in this way are locked and cannot be used until the Threat is dealt with, but at least you have a head-start on the Threat.

d10-5 New Threat – Now a new Threat must be drawn from the deck and placed at the required location. All External Threats are placed to the right of the Ship Board and based on their strength, placed next to the relevant number on the Damage Track (1-4). If there is already one or more Threats at that position, the new Threat is placed to the right of the last card in the line.

Internal Threats don't feature a strength value and are placed to the left of the Ship Board, above the Infirmary card.

The critical point to note here is that a new Threat is always drawn after your Crew Dice have been assigned...meaning it cannot be dealt with for at least one whole round and that means it might be activated before you have a chance to deal with it! angry

d10-6 Threat Phase – Now it is time to roll the single D6 with regular values. Based on the result, one or more Threats may activate based on the numerical values listed on each Threat Card. Each card outlines the consequences for a Threat being activated and if you are unlucky (or just a poor Captain) several cards may feature the same value and all be triggered by the result of one roll! sauron

mb Shields and Hull – Whenever damage is taken it can usually be mitigated by reducing your Shields first and then taking any leftover damage to your Hull. If the Science Department can keep your Shields boosted then you are probably looking ok...but of course that will require you to roll the Science result and that also means you may have less dice to assign to Tactical to do damage and blow the enemy up! whistle

In this way DSD6 is always asking you to think about an offensive or defensive strategy. It's also asking, 'Do you feel lucky punk?' laugh

d10-7 Gather Crew –

Image Courtesy of metabulis
Finally it is time to gather all dice that are free and get ready for a new round. Dice that are not free to collect and be rolled again include those...

mb Locked up in an incomplete Scan

mb Those stuck in the Infirmary

mb Any allocated to Threats (and the Threat's requirements have not been completed).

d10-8 Winning and Losing – Much like the nature of a co-op game, DSD6 has several criteria for winning and losing -

To win a total of 3 conditions must be present -

mb Have at least 1 Hull remaining

mb The Threat Deck is empty

mb All External Threats have been destroyed

You lose if your Hull is ever reduced to 0. You lose if your dice all become unavailable. Good Day Sir!!! laugh

One quick point on the Threat Deck. If it runs out and you are yet to win or lose, the game carries on. If you complete a Full Scan at this point (all those silver dice icons fill the slots above your ship), instead of drawing a new Threat Card, your ship takes 1 damage instead.

d10-9 The Ouroboros – This mega-ship is something akin to a Star Destroyer big ship bristling with weaponry ready to blow holes in your UEF Class Vessel and make it feel like a tin can floating upon the ocean. Actually scrap that reference, I can't afford Disney's licensing fees either.

This threat is made up of no less than 6 individual cards and adding the Ouroboros to your plays is completely optional...but hey only a whimp wouldn't take it on right? Don't be a whimp. meeple

There are two ways to implement the Ouroboros. The 6 cards that make it up can be set aside and when the last card of the Threat Deck is drawn, the Ouroboros enters play...thus making it the final Threat. This is the slightly easier method as it may allow you to get your ducks lined up in a row and create some clear skies before the Ourorboros appears.

Personally I prefer method two, which requires that the 6 cards be shuffled into the Threat Deck. As each one is revealed it is set aside and another card drawn to replace it. When the 6th card is drawn, it represents the arrival of the Ouroboros and it is game on! This simulates the element of surprise nicely and can also mean that other Threats are still in play when the mother-&#$#^...err...mothership arrives.

The Ouroboros is a pretty neat vessel. It has a blistering array of weapons but it has some defensive tech also that needs targeting first. That of course leaves those big guns free to pepper you with more holes than a conspiracy theorist's views on the connection between aliens and ancient Egypt! To defeat the Ouroboros, you need to destroy its Core - a single card with 4 Health. Then of course you need to ensure that all other External Threats are accounted for also. But once the Core is destroyed, all parts of the Ouroboros go with it. It's doable but hey, 'Don't get cocky kid'!

That pretty much covers the playing of the game from a mechanisms viewpoint. But what are the implications? Is it compelling?

The Strategy - What Makes the Game Fun!

Image Courtesy of ofxofx

I'll declare my hand early and state that there are several elements that make DSD6 a total winner

mb Nails Solo Gaming – First and foremost, the game works on the solo level. As a solo fan myself (although I'm still to crank out as many solo titles as I would like) I want a challenging experience, even punishing is fine for me. DSD6 isn't punishing in a Ghost Stories kind of way, but it does prove an ample test of your decision making. When you lose you feel satisfied that you were in with a shot...when you win you feel elated and you know that you've earned your win. That sums up the perfect essence of a solo game, for me.

mb It's Thematic – I don't want no stinking spreadsheet playing out before me, I don't want a procedural nightmare that has me playing the rules more than the game. DSD6 makes me feel like I'm in the chair of the Enterprise, I feel as bald as Picard and that's a good thing. The other day I caught myself making 'pew pew' sounds (well yes, yes I do have a girlfriend, thank you for asking) as I fired my lasers and took out a Strike Bomber...that's cool. I was into it, just me, my dice tower and my sound effects. Love it!

The theme comes through in little ways as well, the use of the term Away Teams, has you thinking Star Trek like scenarios. It's neat.

mb It Offers Different Experiences \ Has Variability – But the best thing about DSD6 is that it does play differently with each class of ship. You would forgive a little game like this for offering up the one class of ship and being good for 5-10 plays. But we get 4 classes of ship here, each one resulting in you thinking and acting differently as the Threats roll out. That ups the game's variability tremendously and the Endless Expansion only adds to that factor (see below).

The logical next expansion (and I hope this happens) is to release a new set of Ships, possibly with a new Threat Deck. Perhaps this design is complete in Tony's eyes, I'm not sure, but I would love another 4 ships to keep this one in rotation for many years to come.

mb It's Rewarding – By this I mean that the game has a fantastic time to reward ratio. At the end I feel like I've enjoyed myself (the head isn't swimming from a heavy rule-set) and I've done some cool things. This is a game that creates little moments like when you were totally swamped by a Warbird and two Interceptor's with Solar Winds an ever present threat and then the damned Ouroboros warped into view...and yet you managed to scrape out the other side of all that with your shields down and your hull holding on by a rivet or two!

All of this in 30 minutes! I love The Hunters, but this is far less demanding in regards to rules overhead and time-frame. This War of Mine is great, but it demands a good part of your day or multiple sessions before the payoff. Ok sure, that last game might give you a deeper narrative at the end of it all but it takes something from you too. DSD6 asks little in return. Like a little pussy cat\puppy dog it looks at you from the shelf and asks with its big sad eyes, 'Won't you play with me today? I won't be any trouble'. (where's the adorable microbadge?)

mb It's Publishing Done Well – This isn't a Strategy element as such but I just love it when a smaller player hits a design out of the park. From the play to the production, this game is pretty spot on. There isn't unnecessary fluff, it isn't overproduced but it has little touches that speak to the pop-culture fan and gamer. I'm very happy to have backed Tau Leader Games on this one and it probably has me looking at other games that might come under their 'TLG Book Series' line.

The Endless Expansion

The 2017 Re-issue Kickstarter Campaign also offered up an expansion called The Endless. In this expansion a new Threat Deck is provided (it should not be mixed with the old). That is great to get a look at some different enemy ships and Threats, especially for those that may have felt they had kind of played out the original design.

It also introduces the concept of researching Upgrades for your ship, which require various personnel, but the key is that each one must be assigned in a specific order to advance your progress towards achieving a given tech. That is pretty cool and really mixes up the decision making when you really need to use that weapon or Crewmember to nullify Threats, but dang it, I need to advance my tech now to help in the mid to end game!

It's fun stuff and of course completing a research endeavour unlocks new toys to play with that have their own benefits and requirements.

Then there is a new Final Encounter in the form of the Apex. This is again a 6-card Threat and it is only brought into play once the Threat Deck is exhausted. The key to this encounter is that the 6 cards are randomly placed against the 4, 3 and 2 spots on the Damage Track (2 to each). This random layout combined with the fact that the background images are illustrated such that they can connect to one another is the real piece of genius. When the Threat Roll is made the given value will connect to other parts of the shape (via the silhouette illustrations) to make various attacks possible. As the Apex takes damage those Threat Cards will of course shift (on the Damage Track) and that can lead to new connections and different combinations of outcomes! This simulates very nicely a form of alien tech which can mutate in different ways. The implication here is that a player needs to carefully consider what they attack and how it will allow the Apex to re-form itself. It's pure genius! meeple

One last point is that the Apex cannot be attacked until all other External Threats are destroyed. Because the player can see the end of the deck coming, that might lead to a little bit of gamesmanship in relation to how you go about wiping out Threats before the arrival of the Apex.

I haven't played with this expansion yet as I want to play through each of the Ship Classes with the Ouroboros first, but it looks enticing indeed! I'm guessing that the name Apex might come from the link to the Threat being a higher form of evolution...at the Apex of the technology chain if you will. cool

UEF Ship Class Diagnostics

Ok let's finally take a look at the 4 Classes of UEF Vessel that DSD6 offers up and how they differ.

mbmbmbmbmb

The Halcyon

Hangar Crew Designation - Old Reliable

Hull Integrity - 8

Shield Capacity - 4

Weapon Systems - Lasers (1 Dmg +2 for each extra Tactical)
- Laser Array allows damage to be split amongst multiple targets
- Stasis Beam (Nullify an enemy vessel for one round)

Scanning Requirements - 3 Scanner icons

Commander - Allows another dice icon to be whatever you need it to be

Medical Alternative - Return one Scanner Dice to the available pool

Science Alternative - Fire the Stasis Beam

Engineering Alternative - +2 Hull repair for each icon rolled beyond the first

Analysis - Being able to target multiple enemies at once is a powerful weapons system indeed and the Stasis Beam helps keep dangerous threats in check that you can't destroy outright. The Commander ability to change other dice to anything you need is also handy. Dice already assigned cannot be changed in this way. That's a golden rule actually.

mbmbmbmbmb

The Athena Mk. II

Hangar Crew Designation - The Enforcer

Hull Integrity - 5

Shield Capacity - 6

Weapon Systems - Rockets (2 Dmg to a single target for each Tactical result)
- Quantum Cannon (Requires a Tactical + Science: Return an External Threat to the
deck and reshuffle)

Scanning Requirements - 3 Scanner icons

Commander - Copies another rolled Crew Dice

Medical Alternative - Re-roll all available units (nothing like a stim shot in the arm)

Science Alternative - Recharge Shields

Engineering Alternative - Repair Hull +2 or perform a Scan (meaning look at top card of Threat Deck)

Analysis - Being able to potentially see what is coming and then return a Threat to the deck and reshuffle is a powerful combination. Comes at the expense of not doing damage to multiple targets.

mbmbmbmbmb

The AG-8

Hangar Crew Designation - IG-88 or 'The Tin Can'

Hull Integrity - 10

Shield Capacity - 2

Weapon Systems - The AG-8 is almost fully automated and uses
Drones to carry out its functions.
- Once a Drone type is selected, it is
permanent but can be re-programmed via a
Commander Icon.
- Medical Icons can also withdraw a Drone.

Scanning Requirements - 2

Commander - Re-programmes a Drone

Medical Alternative - Recalls a Drone

Science Alternative - NA

Engineering Alternative - Combined with another icon, Engineering
creates a Drone of that type

Analysis – I'm still to fully get my head around the AG-8 but essentially it ups the players required processing - 'What types of Drones do I need out there for my given situation?', 'When should I re-programme them or recall them completely?'. Interesting choices to be sure. The AG-8 starts with a Tactical and Science Drone in the 'air'. Drones also can't be used on away missions. As long as at least one Drone is active, the AG-8 cannot lose. Also note the lack of Shield but increased Hull stats. This is thematically neat as Shields would be compromised to allow Drones in and out of the vessel. Requiring less crew than most vessels also accounts for the increased Hull plating in place of life support systems. Ok I'm overthinking this too much...got it! whistle

mbmbmbmbmb

The Mononoaware

Hangar Crew Designation - Roswell

Hull Integrity - 5

Shield Capacity - 5

Weapon Systems - Uses Intelligent Beam Weapons that are
variable in their function based on the user.
(read this as Crew assigned to the
recepticles).
- This affords the Captain greater flexibility
in how to frag Threats.

Scanning Requirements - 2 Scanner icons

Commander - Can help negate multiple Threats in a round
via the Overdrive.

Medical Alternative - NA

Science Alternative - NA

Engineering Alternative - +3 Hull repair

Analysis –

I am to get my head fully around the Mononoaware also but essentially it is a highly flexible vessel specialising at Threat elimination and neutralisation thanks to its alien tech. It also has an Ablative Armour System that allows the Shield and Hull values to be swapped at a critical moment. The downside of the Mononoaware is that given its heavy crew requirements (I mean Alien Tech isn't easy for us humans to operate!) it is generally best to go all attack or all defense in a single round.

I really like how the theme shines through with this class of vessel.

mbmbmbmbmb

The Final Word

It has to be said, Deeps Space D-6 is a relatively simple game but it is very well designed and creates suitable tension. It is the mix of Threats and how they come out, combined with the icons that you roll at various points that makes the tension possible and creates epic moments.

Sure there is a lot of luck inherent in the design but there is enough control and mitigation built in that the game feels rewarding as an experience. The hallmark of a good co-op\solo game is an experience in which the danger is real and ever present, that it has you on the edge of your seat as you just manage to keep things together. But at the end (win or lose) you feel like the game gave you enough control, enough moments of success that you feel rewarded for the journey. DSD6 succeeds in achieving that balance. Throw in some great component design (that creates functionality) and variable challenges in the form of different ships that require you to adapt your approach) and DSD6 is greater than the sum of its Ouroboros parts.

In fact this is one of those great KS projects where something really great can be found relatively cheaply, in a small package and it didn’t require the bling of miniatures to be successful. Of course it would not have been possible without the concept of Print 'n' Play Games and a space for budding designers to cut their teeth. I'm sure many BGG users were also helpful in providing feedback and helping Tony refine and improve the game overall.

I salute anyone who joins the ranks of the UEF and am most happy to have backed this little winner. Many thanks also must go the BGG Solo Guild for putting me onto it in the first place as I read about it in one thread or another.

At present I would say this is in my top 3 solo experiences, different enough to Roll Player and much quicker than The Hunters: German U-Boats at War, 1939-43. One Deck Dungeon still awaits...

'Til next we meet, 'To Infinity and...'I don't get paid for these man...we can't afford that license! laugh

Review Links

Access to 500+ indexed reviews is a click away in this Geeklist -

Subscribe to this Geeklist and be kept up to date when new reviews become available!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam L
United Kingdom
Gravesend
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this amazing review. Love it.

And I too agree with your comments about rewarding play. It gives a lot of pleasure without crippling my brain or giving me a migraine with rules. (I hate really heavy solo games personally!)

Have 5GG for a brilliant review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Baumgarten
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree wholeheartedly with your praise of this game. I would however respectfully disagree with your characterization of either Kickstarter campaign that produced it as "great." My strong advice is to get this game at retail and enjoy the ever-living daylights out of it, because you won't regret it.

If you like this, Neil, you're going to love One Deck Dungeon. Don't wait, play it ASAP!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ShepparCon was a Blast!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
Thank You to all those that attended BorderCon this year and made it special again!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
RustyBaker wrote:
I agree wholeheartedly with your praise of this game. I would however respectfully disagree with your characterization of either Kickstarter campaign that produced it as "great." My strong advice is to get this game at retail and enjoy the ever-living daylights out of it, because you won't regret it.

If you like this, Neil, you're going to love One Deck Dungeon. Don't wait, play it ASAP!

Is the retail version different in any major way?

Many thanks for reading - this one took some real work to beat into shape but I am happy with how it turned out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lilian K
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh! I was eyeing this one on the Cancon swap/buy but was beat to it. Ah well... Will just have to try solo Roll Player for now... It's funny, I rarely play anything solo but you've piqued my interest

As always, wonderful read Neil. Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it recently. The expansion takes the game from very good to very, very good. I like the interaction of the threats more in the expansion, and the final boss is lots of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

A very well written review. Superb job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nalton Gilbank
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi! Great review!
I just had a question about a couple rules...
How do you eliminate interior threats?
I assign crew but don't know when to remove them and remove the interior threat.

And I assigned a Commander to re-roll all available dice and got a Threat Detected! - the third one. Should I draw a new threat immediately or wait for Phase 2 Scan For Threats to come around again since I'm currently on Phase 3 Assign Crew?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls