Subject: 3 variants for Skull and Roses rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Ungarelli
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
Variant 1

As soon as a player makes the first bid in a round, instead of going in clockwise order, use open bidding. Keep bidding until you can declare the highest bidder.
Effect: More chaos, more excitement, more hysteria and more fun. Strategies less dependent on first player and player order.

Variant 2

Some people have experienced a problem with the game, which isn’t a huge issue, but can still be annoying. The problem is that players have a tendency to start bidding as soon as they can, never putting down 2 cards. Variant 2 mitigates that.

If a player has a point, they can’t place the first bid in a round. After the first bid, they are welcome to start bidding as normal.
Exception : If all players have one point, anyone can place the first bid.
Effect: More cards on the table in endgame, probably resulting in slightly higher bids. More excitement and more fun.

Variant 3

The first bid in a round can never be lower than the first bid in any previous round. For example, if the initial bid in round one is three, then the initial bid can never be lower than three in the following rounds. If the initial bid in a later round is five, then the first bid can never be lower than five in future rounds, and so on.
Effect: The bids are likely to gradually get bigger. End game will probably be more exiting.

Conclusion: All above changes are small, but together they make a bid difference in my opinion. Please give me your thoughts on these variants.
I personally want to play with all three variants combined.
These changes doesn’t take away the strategies and bluffing aspects of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We always play with open bidding as default; I think it’s even in the rule book as an official variant. Definitely the only way to play.

I don’t see what problem Variant 2 is addressing. Who cares If a player has a tendency to start bidding immediately after everyone has placed one card, everyone just lay a skull and let them win the bid. Anyone who acts like that is walking into an early grave.

Variant 3 won’t really make the game more exciting. People will just lay more cards before bidding starts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Ungarelli
Sweden
flag msg tools
new user
Variant 2
The problem is if most of the players, or all of them want to bid as soon as possible.

Variant 3
I see your point, but for me personally, I think it's more exciting if in end game the initial bid is forced at 6 for example instead of the last round having an initial bid of 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryucoo
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ungarelli wrote:
Variant 2
The problem is if most of the players, or all of them want to bid as soon as possible.

Variant 3
I see your point, but for me personally, I think it's more exciting if in end game the initial bid is forced at 6 for example instead of the last round having an initial bid of 1.

If players are all bidding immediately at 1, open with a rose and beat the bid with 2. The meta dictates whether or not early, late, big or small bids are successful. The worst thing you can do in Skull is be predicable. Unless it's part of a bluffing strategy which concludes with a well timed change in the pattern. You don't need a variant to change that, you just change your placement/bidding strategy to beat or boobytrap the predicable player(s).

As for 3, I don't see the difference between people with stacks of 1 bidding 1-4, or people with stacks of 2 bidding up to 8.

Both variants reduce the variance of strategy by cutting out low bid and small stack strategic options, and in my mind add rules fuss for net gain.

Keep it simple and let the meta drive the game, would be my advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Variants 2 and 3 need to take into account that people may be forced to bid because they have no more tiles to lay.

They also detract from some of the skill: if you intend to play a skull this round, you really want it to be top of your pile when the bidding starts. To achieve that, you need to anticipate whether people are going to bid early, or play more tiles. If you change the rules to force someone to play more tiles, you remove that skill.

Variant 1, I don't like because it also removes some of the skill. With open bidding, there is no such thing as passing, and people no longer have to choose whether to make a bid so as to remain in the bidding for later. Also, people no longer have to consider how high to go with their bidding, bearing in mind what might happen before they get another bid. Particularly, there's the special case of bidding the maximum: if that's going to get bid, it matters who will have the opportunity. And what do you do when two people call the same bid effectively simultaneously? Open bidding only really works with infinitely divisible currency: two people bid 5, but neither will bid 6; maybe just one of them will bid 5.5?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
United Kingdom
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Variant 1's been mentioned on here before - i really don't like it, but i guess it depends on how you play Skull.
For myself and the people i play with, it plays out like a game of poker - calm, calculated, steady, tense. If you're playing Skull as more of a party game, maybe with kids, the chaos of open bidding might be better received.
Definitely not for me though.

Also really not seeing a benefit to variant 3.

Variant 2 isn't too bad. I definitely like the intention behind it at least - higher bids with more more tiles to choose from do tend to be the more fun rounds imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.