Anachrony» Forums » General

Subject: Warp Phase question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marlon Estella

California
msg tools
mb
Love David Turczi's work especially his solo designs (Dice Settlers and Teotihuacan); so now finally looking into jumping into this game.
However, there is one small thing that I'm iffy on, and that is the secrecy in the Warp Phase.
I'm not too keen on this especially on a heavier game.
What is the purpose for this, theme-wise and gameplay-wise? Can I just remove it and say go in player order or something?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nándor Gáspár
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: gameplay question
I can't recall anything bidding related in this game.
What do you mean by that?

The phases of the game are:
- Preparation phase
- Paradox phase
- Power up phase.
- Warp phase
- Action rounds phase
- Clean up phase

Which one is bidding in your interpretation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember any bidding in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon Estella

California
msg tools
mb
Sorry, I don't think bidding was the correct word.

From reading the rule books and watching videos, it's during the warp phase where players secretly hide things in their hands.
What is the purpose of the secrecy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume Marlon is referring to the simultaneous choices rather than strict bidding - either the Power Up phase or the Warp phase.

The Power Up phase can definitely be done in player order if that's preferred. Most of the time it won't make much difference and simultaneous decisions will just speed up the phase, but if you want to make it strictly ordered it won't break anything.

The Warp phase, however, would be a bit more of an impact if done in player order. Not knowing whether only warping a single thing will keep you safe from gaining Paradoxes - at least for the next round - is a bit of obfuscation I really like. It's not mandatory - you still won't break anything if you do it in player order with each number revealed before the next - but between it and the Power Up phase, the Warp phase being simultaneous selection is definitely more impactful.

Also, if you were to use the Alternate Timeline variant you'd exacerbate the effect even further.

Of course, if I've misunderstood the part of the game taken to be "bidding" then please correct me! But these seem the only parts I can think of as resembling bidding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing you mean the Warp phase, where players choose a certain number of warp tiles to reveal in a "simultaneous reveal". If so, that's not a bid. You're showing what resources you're going to claim from your future self (that's the thematic bit - you're sending back resources from a future round, and therefore IN a future round you'll want to go back in time to repay them, or you'll be more likely to cause a time paradox which could end up turning into an Anomaly).

Mechanically, the reasons it's a simultaneous reveal are so you can't be sure:
- if another player will then have enough resources to do a certain thing, that you may also be racing to do first; and
- if you'll have revealed more warp tiles than another player. This is important for the Paradox phase in the following round, as whichever player has the most warp tiles left on an era's timeline tile has to roll the Paradox die for that era tile, and may gain paradoxes (which you really don't want).

You COULD play the Warp phase in turn order if you wanted, especially in early games while all players are getting to grips with the rules, but just note the above points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon Estella

California
msg tools
mb
njshaw2 wrote:
I'm guessing you mean the Warp phase, where players choose a certain number of warp tiles to reveal in a "simultaneous reveal". If so, that's not a bid. You're showing what resources you're going to claim from your future self (that's the thematic bit - you're sending back resources from a future round, and therefore IN a future round you'll want to go back in time to repay them, or you'll be more likely to cause a time paradox which could end up turning into an Anomaly).

- if another player will then have enough resources to do a certain thing, that you may also be racing to do first; and
- if you'll have revealed more warp tiles than another player. This is important for the Paradox phase in the following round, as whichever player has the most warp tiles left on an era's timeline tile has to roll the Paradox die for that era tile, and may gain paradoxes (which you really don't want).

You COULD play the Warp phase in turn order if you wanted, especially in early games while all players are getting to grips with the rules, but just note the above points.

Ahhh!!! Now that phase makes complete sense (thematically and game-wise).
Literally hit BUY button soon as I finished reading your explanation.
Thank you so much!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marLONE wrote:
Sorry, I don't think bidding was the correct word.

From reading the rule books and watching videos, it's during the warp phase where players secretly hide things in their hands.
What is the purpose of the secrecy?

I wouldn't worry about it, it doesn't feel much like bidding. And you can always house-rule it if it turns out it really does bother you. Do it in player order if you want to decrease the advantage of being first player, or reverse player order if you want to increase that advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bone White
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the advanced Warp tiles where resolving in player order matters, but revealing them needs to be mandatory to maintain that mind-game of "how far can I push my luck here?".

Because EVERYONE who has the most on each tile will get a warp token / roll for warp token(s) (Depending on which variant you use), if you want to get no warp tokens the only valid option is bidding no tokens in this phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
marLONE wrote:
Ahhh!!! Now that portion makes complete phase.
Thank you so much!!

Excellent! Glad I explained it well enough to understand!

marLONE wrote:

Yay! Hope you enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marLONE wrote:
njshaw2 wrote:

Ahhh!!! Now that phase makes complete sense (thematically and game-wise).
Thank you so much!!

That's great to hear! Congrats on a very good purchase!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
marLONE wrote:
Love David Turczi's work especially his solo designs (Dice Settlers and Teotihuacan); so now finally looking into jumping into this game.
However, there is one small thing that I'm iffy on, and that is the bidding phase.
I'm not too keen on the bidding aspect especially on a heavier game.
What is the purpose for the bidding, theme-wise and gameplay-wise? Can I just remove it and say go in player order or something?
Thanks!

For searching purposes would you mind being more precise in the title of the thread? might save someone else from asking the same question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon Estella

California
msg tools
mb
corkysru wrote:
marLONE wrote:
However, there is one small thing that I'm iffy on, and that is the bidding phase.
I'm not too keen on the bidding aspect especially on a heavier game.
What is the purpose for the bidding, theme-wise and gameplay-wise? Can I just remove it and say go in player order or something?
Thanks!

For searching purposes would you mind being more precise in the title of the thread? might save someone else from asking the same question.

Done! Thanks for the suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.