Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked this game quite a bit. There's a good engine-building game in a small box and a small timeframe. In terms of game-to-playtime ratio and game-to-boxsize ratio, it scores really, really well. Add the fact that once upon a time I spent several weeks in Oaxaca, and for me this game is a definite keeper.

However, I do need to figure out the best way for us to play this game. There might be too many variants already. (See Zee Garcia's #3 item here: "Too many variants" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJMGeRfurG0 .)

Taste of Oaxaca expansion: Yea or nay?
Rahdo1 (2 dice=gather from whole deck): Yea or nay?
Rahdo2 (2 dice=craft up to 3, otherwise only 2): Yea or nay?
NonCon1 (Use solitaire cards in place of take-that cards): Yea or nay?
NonCon2 (Boost value of a craft-type when holding over a die): Yea or nay?
Rounds: 3, 4, or 5?

My first play was 4 rounds (based on multiple comments that 3 rounds seemed too short) with Taste of Oaxaca but none of the other alternate rules. It seemed fine with 4 rounds - definitely didn't want a 5th. Three and a half might be the sweet spot, unfortunately. But will definitely try 3 rounds next time.

I think the next time we play, we will definitely use Rahdo1 and NonCon1 above. Probably also use Rahdo2 and NonCon2 just so that we're in line with the official variants from the rulebook, but on paper I'm not a big fan of Rahdo2 or NonCon2 above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin
United Kingdom
HITCHIN
HERTS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big fan of this game after printing the PNP. I have played 2 player a few times and plenty solo. As for variants I use 2 dice gather draw 3 cards and choose 1. I have not seen the taste of Oaxaca expansion so cant comment on that. 3 rounds is too short. I use boost dice.

While playing solo I wanted to spend my money on something so I created a new expansion based around the survival of the wild Axolotl. The Axolotl are under threat from pollution and destruction of their environment and you spend your money trying to stop it and to raise the Axolotl profile to become then much loved amphibian it deserves to be. This takes place over 5 rounds and you need to sell your goods before the demise of the Axolotl.

So its a great game and ripe for variants!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axolotl is the coolest animal I never heard of.*

(Unless there's something cooler I never heard of. If there is, I haven't heard of it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see people playing around with variants to tweak the game to suit their tastes!

Flying Arrow - you hit the nail on the head when you said that 3.5 rounds is the sweet spot. That's what we found in playtesting. But since our goal was to create a short, thinky game, we cut it to 3 rounds.

Another thing to try is that if you're not playing with 4 players, give each player an extra die. So each round will have more turns.

I hope y'all find which combination of variants works best for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really want to try the extra die route, since it won't work with 4 playes anyway. I'd like to settle on something and just stick to that variant (and keep this game in my collection permanently). I'm going to try 3 rounds next time we play, but if 3.5 really is the sweet spot I think I might use only 3 dice for round 1 and then regular 5 dice for rounds 2-4. That would get it to 18 dice for the game just like 6 dice and 3 rounds would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally understand. Good luck with ramping up the dice count! I'd love to hear how it goes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.