Narcos: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Props to CMON for the insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Girard
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game (yet), but I had to give props where props are due. I happen to be someone who gives some importance to a well-designed insert and a well-packaged game.

My copy of Terraforming Mars arrived with a ripped insert (common problem of the first printing), which didn't leave me too excited to play it (regardless of the quality of the game itself).

By comparison, Spirit Island, which I got a few weeks ago had me going "How much stuff IS in this box!?" as I peeled layer upon layer of content. Left me super excited to play the game. It means I approach the game with interest and eagerness. Again, doesn't speak to the quality of the game itself.

Next up is Narcos. I don't know if it's standard fare for CMON and it's a very small thing but... the bottom of the wells in the insert are embossed with what is supposed to go there. 21x rectangle tokens, 10x round tokens, etc. It's pretty easy to figure out which token is which. I've been wondering for a long time why it's not more common for publishers to tell exactly how their insert was designed to be used. It's not a fun part of the game (at least to me) to figure out what should go where.

We've all had inserts that are badly designed. Say, 3 wells for 7 token types (and 6 baggies or no baggies at all, because we can't give out too many of those). With those, you're stuck sorting through things at setup (or figuring things out for yourself).

The card wells are also 2-storied, so you can somewhat sort the carts (some of them stored normally at the bottom of the well, the others sideways on top). There's more card types than "stories", but there's not that many solutions to that.

It's a small thing, doesn't impact the quality of the game at all and is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. But it's that kind of attention to detail that makes me want to play even more. Sure, maybe the game is horrible, but if they put that much attention in the packaging, I can only be hopeful that they put the same kind of attention on the game itself.

That is all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Jones
msg tools
mb
The two story slot for cards is incredible because it supports both unsleeved & sleeved cards. This is honestly amazing as 99.9% of other standard game inserts don't support sleeved inserts so im both surprised & really happy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.