Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Young
New Zealand
Auckland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

anyone played through the CG's, and how was the experience?

Cheers
Gary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't comment on the play of the scenarios or CGs. However the pack was designed based on the information available at the time, which unfortunately subsequent research has demonstrated to have been seriously flawed (the quick-and-dirty summary is that the Soviets lied for many years about what actually happened, and Western historians simply accepted those lies, and then the Soviets themselves accepted the Western histories!). For more accurate modern research see Lawrence, Zamulin and Toeppel. So if the CGs are in any way "accurate" to what was known at the time, they're not really going to represent the course of the battle as we now understand it. (Also true of the vast majority of other published scenarios set at Prokhorovka ....) The tank-ramming rules in particular stand out as fantasy (it never happened to the degree that the old stories claim it did, and certainly there was precious little reason for any of the German tanks to engage in such activities).

Aside from that, though ... it's a Critical Hit Platoon Leader CG. Expect problems and be pleasantly surprised if there aren't any. You can't even judge based on the designer's reputation, since CH suppressed that information. That only leaves you with CH's reputation as a publisher, which as we all know is appalling.

None of the scenarios or CG have useful ROAR records (not nearly enough games recorded) so I think you're in largely uncharted territory I'm afraid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Young
New Zealand
Auckland
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Bruce, thanks for the considered reply - very interesting!

I'm going to have to catch up on my reading it seems.

I'm aware of Zamulin, having read his "Demolishing the myth" title some time ago, but was unaware that he's written further on the subject (given that he's reputedly quite prolific it's not a surprise I suppose). The Lawrence book is completely new to me, and seems like the be all and end all!! Five kg's of book on the subject? Might have to see if there's a copy available for interloan. I've come across Toeppel before, just can't for the life of me remember! Anyway, thanks for the author listing!!

There is an interesting set of books detailing the history and creation of the German tank arm, written by Thomas Jentz (PanzerTruppen vols 1 and 2). He uses divisional reports etc to give a very definite picture on vehicle numbers etc. It's quite obvious from his work that there would not have been anywhere near the 1500-2000 afv that the myth would have us believe, in the vicinity of Prokorovka. I can recommend these - apart from the statistics, there are field/combat/evaluation reports on various systems etc.

I also possess the support magazine that has design notes for the CG. David Lamb the designer says that one of his primary sources was a US Army report titled KOSAVE II, a document based off the then recently declassified Soviet archives on the Kursk battles(I wonder if this is online?). I can't find a research bibliography in the notes but I'm assuming that the Glantz book would've been published too late for the game. I'm not condemning the designer as you can only research what is available, but it would be interesting to draw some conclusions after playing the CG, based on the later sources.

Yep, Critical Hits reputation is appalling. I'm hoping as this is an early publication (I have the 2nd ed) it won't be bad. And as to the Platoon Leader CG rules I have 2.5, which I've not ever used but have been assured is "stable". Anyway, we will find out soon enough!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.