Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Basic Engagement questions! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. Hisham Y
msg tools
Hi All,
Sorry, these questions maybe seems basics but still I feel it is little foggy:
1- Does the sentence on Cat Burglar card (disengage from each enemy engaged with you) means that those enemies will be exhausted after applying the card effect of disengaging? I know that after an Evade action that the enemy will be exhausted but does the disengaging also exhaust the enemy?
2- one of the actions that the investigators can do is (Engage) action. What is the purpose of such an action? I mean that if I wants to attack an enemy it is enough to take a (Fight) action while I'm in his location even if that enemy is not engaged with me (i.e: maybe it was exhausted somehow previously before I move to its location). So why should anyone use this Engage action? Specially in Solo mode play?
Thanks a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Disengage does not exhaust the enemy

2) In solo the engage action is useful for fighting enemies with the keyword Aloof. You can’t use an attack action to attack an Aloof enemy unless it is engaged with an investigator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No. If the disengaged enemies were to be exhausted it would say so (probably as "automatically evade"). So a hunter enemy might still chase you during the enemy phase.

2. There are two common situations where you might use the engage action. The first is with enemies who are aloof. Such enemies do not automatically engage and "An investigator cannot attack an aloof enemy while that enemy is not engaged with an investigator." The second situation is where you want to attack an enemy that is already engaged with another investigator without risk to that other investigator if you miss--or just to "draw enemy fire" away from a more fragile investigator engaged with an enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cirro Cumulus
msg tools
mbmbmb
This is an excellent video on the subject of enemy engagement which clarified a lot of stuff for me when I was learning the rules: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFdp2aWiBpI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another reason is to get some benefit from being engaged with the enemy, for example the +1 damage from Machete or testless damage from Zoey's Cross.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kill Bray
msg tools
Quote:
2- one of the actions that the investigators can do is (Engage) action. What is the purpose of such an action? I mean that if I wants to attack an enemy it is enough to take a (Fight) action while I'm in his location even if that enemy is not engaged with me (i.e: maybe it was exhausted somehow previously before I move to its location). So why should anyone use this Engage action? Specially in Solo mode play?
Thanks a lot

Clearly engaging is something that is mainly used for when you have a team of investigators. So you may find it has almost zero use in the default campaign when you play solo, but that doesn't mean it is pointless... on the account that this isn't a strictly solo player game.

A guardian may want to engage an enemy to take it off from a seeker, so they can do what they do best. Not to mention they may gain some bonuses or triggering some abilities in doing so.

A rogue may want to use his high dexterity to exhaust a particularly nasty enemy through the evade action. For instance a certain enemy that retaliates whenever you fail an attack against it, so that the whole group can then attack it without worry.
But you cannot evade an enemy that isn't engaged with you. So you need to engage it first.

But yeah, if you are solo, you pretty much only need it for aloof monsters, which do not exist in the default campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Killbray wrote:
If you are solo, you pretty much only need it for aloof monsters, which do not exist in the default campaign.

Be sure to leave your machete at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.