Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
59 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Food Chain Magnate» Forums » General

Subject: This game would really benefit from better production / collector's edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's a really good game but components are just so...

I like the artwork so its not that, just components and maybe the main map yeah that one is....

Would love for better production or collector's edition
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disagree. Should always be about the game, not the components
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueOne8 wrote:

I like the artwork so its not that, just components and maybe the main map yeah that one is....

Oh good. This again. yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this can be a contentious issue, with fairly strong feelings on both sides, but while I disagree with you I don't really care either way. I'd like to ask you though, what purpose would a collectors edition serve the gameplay?

There is a reasonable argument that having a prettier board (tiles) would actually make the game harder to play by obfuscating important information with busier graphics. I recently played Rajas of the Ganges and I thinks it's a good example of how graphics can make a game look more complicated than it actually is, frightening some people away in the process. Agra is a good example of a game where beautiful art actually makes the game not only look more complicated than it is but actually makes playing the game harder because it makes it difficult to quickly assess the game state at times.

Other than that, the cards are of average or better quality, the wooden resources are all quite nice and the player aids are very useful. I don't like the paper money, but that's a personal choice.

What would you change and how would it improve the "game"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

/world's smallest violin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The spartan map design aids readability in the game, it's a plus rather than a negative in a game of this ilk. I grew to like it. Opinions may vary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Splotters are quite charming as is imo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there."
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the board state quite readable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Adultman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
mbmbmbmbmb
What, someone complaining about the production?... How novel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Alexander
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
beef
badge
sack
mbmbmbmbmb
There are already too many threads about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris M
msg tools
badge
Forrest Plum Vinyards Incorporated
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to chime in and say the wooden components are top notch and the card art is very thematic since no one has mentioned that yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok I get it than, majority of the people who are playng this dont wish for better production and so on, so naturally it wont happen.

Case closed and its a shame.

Why do you ask I would even want it?

1. I am not the only one playing this game, better production would help me get it to the table more often
2. It's about the immersion also and things like more immersive game board can help increase that (and it can be done white tiles are not the only way to go about it)
3. Because at the end of the day better production does increase the enjoyment if only just a touch and longevity of the game itself (wear and tear etc...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueOne8 wrote:
Ok I get it than, majority of the people who are playng this dont wish for better production and so on, so naturally it wont happen.

1. I am not the only one playing this game, better production would help me get it to the table more often
2. It's about the immersion also and things like more immersive game board can help increase that (and it can be done white tiles are not the only way to go about it)
3. Because at the end of the day better production does increase the enjoyment if only just a touch and longevity of the game itself (wear and tear etc...)

1. Just... read some of the existing threads on this topic and save yourself some time
2. If you persist, can you at least answer the question about what "better production" means to you, other than different art on the city tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread would really benefit from a better OP. I mean, I like the idea, but it's been beaten to death. Some original thought would be nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Horváth
Hungary
Veszprém
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the artwork and the board pretty much, the wooden components are also a big plus (not only cubes, but shaped), and the player aids are best!

On the other hand I played with several different people recently, and many of them claimed the same as the OP.
So I wouldn't say that the lack of need for upgraded components is obvious among everyone playing this game.

We are not playing an abstract game here, and aesthetics can be a big factor.

My biggest complain however is footprint. This game (played with original components) takes a HUGE table space, totally unnecessarily. The milestones being cards seems to be a weird decision, i would almost say, that it is a cheap solution ("we are already producing cards, so why not simplify manufacturing") instead of a functional one.

Improvement proposals may be:
1. CEO card should contain the restaurant. You currently have no reference about which restaurant chain you run on your tableau.
2. Cards should be smaller
3. Milestones shall be even smaller, potentially just tokens.
4. 3D miniatures for restaurants and houses, gardens.
5. Nicer artwork on marketing campaing markers.
6. Money upgrade (although, I think paper money fits this game well, and I like it)

I know that there are third party solutions available, but I find them in most cases even less elegant than the original. (dry-erase marker sheet??)

Now, don't misunderstand me, I'm not talking about "faults" here. The game is super, all-time-top10 as it is, just, why not have some "pimp" on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Every
Australia
Gold Coast
QLD
flag msg tools
They have a hard enough time meeting demand as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shak S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I don't think it's unreasonable to say the actual quality is a bit lacking.

For example after three or so plays the cards are already beginning to show signs of deep wear, and we're quite a careful group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
This is literally the only game I won't play without 3rd party organization like the dry-erase milestones and card accordion (or something that functions similarly), so I'd definitely agree it's severely lacking in terms of production. I even play gloomhaven without a formal organizer, but this game is so unnecessarily unwieldy and awkward without those things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with both sides XD

Food Chain Magnate is my favorite game. It’s great, and the original version is “fine” as is. However I also like nice components. I replaced all the food with dollhouse food from eBay at a cost of about $70. I replaced the milestone cards with BGG’s dry erase boards. That also comes with a card accordion that is great, but I’m sort of considering getting one of the wooden card inserts on Etsy still. And finally I replaced the paper money with the Iron Clays from Brass. I absolutely feel that the playing experience is better since doing all of that.

So. The game is great as is, maybe even the best game (opinions of course). But I would love to see the Ian O’Toole version. Or the partnership of Splotter and EGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueOne8 wrote:

Sorry, Ian, it's part of the Splotter thing to have trash components and then be snobby when people suggest that maybe a game should look nice if it costs $100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
BlueOne8 wrote:

Sorry, Ian, it's part of the Splotter thing to have trash components and then be snobby when people suggest that maybe a game should look nice if it costs $100.

It blows my mind that people still can't differentiate between poor quality and intentional design choices.

Just kidding. I'm not surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lan lan
msg tools
mbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
BlueOne8 wrote:

1. Just... read some of the existing threads on this topic and save yourself some time
2. If you persist, can you at least answer the question about what "better production" means to you, other than different art on the city tiles?

Better production for this game?

I would start with the following:

1. Box -> insert for better organisation (Set up like it or not is part of the game and if you can more easily get it set up it will see table more often)

2. Paper Money -> In this day and time or perhaps even for more than a decade now paper money is not ok and for a lot of reasons, from wear and tear, to easy handling and so on...

3. I love the wooden components, but if you would have a collectors edition you could do what some people are doing manually basically print the pizzas, hamburgers, Coke's etc pictures on them would be really nice nothing major though

4. Cards for me are ok art wise and what not but it would be nice if they were of higher quality, also white edges prevent signs of wear and tear so quickly

5. Game board aka tiles could be improved especially in art, you dont need to sacrafice functionality by making them prettier to look at

6. Markers in this game, someone has mentioned also quite a few Cards could get markers and for some stuff 3D printed stuff would actually server as a BETTER VISUAL indication than maker like restaurants and what not.

And so on, this game can be improved and I believe it can benefit the game play as also of course the experience which is for what this game is played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I see both sides on the map tiles. Them being very plain DOES help parse the board state, which can get very busy. I still believe a great graphical designer could achieve full art and a readable board state (again, Ian O’Toole) but as many others I’ve gotten used to the tiles.

The art style I love across the whole game. Another thing I really love is all the little references to their other games in the restaurant names.

But everything above that I’ve replaced I do believe should have simply come that way. The wood food? Eh. The cards definitely needed a holder, and the milestone dry erase board is something I probably wouldn’t play without anymore. Also I wish the cards were thicker stock and linen finish.

But hey, we all have different opinions here obviously. Remember to play nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
RageGoblin wrote:
BlueOne8 wrote:

It blows my mind that people still can't differentiate between poor quality and intentional design choices.

Poor quality and intentional design choices are not mutually exclusive.

In the case of Splotter, it's clearly an intentional design choice to have generally trash-tier components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter De Carvalho
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
RageGoblin wrote:
BlueOne8 wrote:

I dunno about FCM, but have you seen the latest printing for Antiquity? It's an amazing game but a lot of my punchboards were pretty off-centre and it was not an isolated issue. I don't harp too much because they are a niche/small-scale publisher, but I'm pretty sure having below-average components comes down to keeping costs down mostly, as opposed to it being an intentional design choice.

(Keeping in mind I have no gripes about the art. I love Splotter art and the graphic design is superb imo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.