Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Aguilar
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for your guys advice and comments in regards to your favorite WW2 tactical wargame for the Eastern front.

There are a couple of titles that I was looking at, and wondering what your thoughts are on these (which one you would recommend) and any other titles that you like as well. I was specifically looking at:

1.) Old School Tactical
2.) Ghost Panzer
3.) Conflict of Heroes “Awaken the Bear”

Thanks for your help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Note CoH has a solitaire module specifically for eastern front. Many people think it's got the best solitaire system out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hughes

California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ghost Panzer had a better rep than original Band of Brothers in sense that designer had matured on scenario design apparently. As is natural :-)
Can't speak to OST
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Aguilar
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently read about the solitaire expansion to CoH, and it sounds great! Luckily, I have a willing and capable wargaming partner, so I’m not solely reliant on solitaire play. Thank you for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric Ashgrove
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Wargaming Early American Conflicts
badge
Col James Bowie as he would have appeared in the Texas Revolution
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played COH:ATB a very large number of hours both multi-player and solitaire. It is an excellently designed game and lots of fun and interaction.

To make it last even longer seek out Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear – Firefight Generator and remember that Conflict of Heroes: Price of Honour – Poland 1939 expands it for even more scenario options!

While Conflict of Heroes: Monster Tanks of the Eastern Front does not add a lot (though a few scenarios are available), Conflict of Heroes: Wrecks and Destruction on the Eastern Front I feel is really worth owning with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory McAllister
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only speak for myself but I have played and sold the other two but I have kept and still enjoy playing Old School Tactical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Aguilar
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What influenced your decision to keep OST and sell the others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crian
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Panzer (second edition) is a very good tank based game. The main game and the first two expansions focus on the Eastern front. The scenarios in the main game are not fully historical, but the scenarios in Exp 1+2 are more historical (using a modular map system).
Strong emphasis on tanks, although infantry have a role to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lloyd
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
World Champs!!....again
badge
Forgot me velcro gloves again...
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Panzer makes you use realistic tactics and has a very low rules-overhead. It may feel a bit bland if your used to other tactical games as it doesn't have leaders or heroes but I love it for the reasons above.

You could also try LnL Tactical's Heroes of the Motherland which does have leaders and heroes and is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Malakai
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played and enjoyed all of them.

But if you ask me to pick one I will choose OST.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ashgrove wrote:
I have played COH:ATB a very large number of hours both multi-player and solitaire. It is an excellently designed game and lots of fun and interaction.

To make it last even longer seek out Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear – Firefight Generator and remember that Conflict of Heroes: Price of Honour – Poland 1939 expands it for even more scenario options!

While Conflict of Heroes: Monster Tanks of the Eastern Front does not add a lot (though a few scenarios are available), Conflict of Heroes: Wrecks and Destruction on the Eastern Front I feel is really worth owning with it.

Normally the new edition of Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943 will be out in just a few weeks. The new rules book that will be standard for all CoH games can already be downloaded for FREE on the Academy Games website.

The new 2 player rules took over the “spent” mechanic of the excellent solo expansion of CoH. So no longer counting AP points and you can hop from one unit to another and back again... which frankly boosts this tactical system into orbit mode.

For those not knowing the system or - worse - played its old version1, it should be interesting to see how much/clear these rules are right now.

The order of my preference in - generic - tactical WW2 games right now is:

1. Conflict of Heroes series (sadly only the Eastern Front).
2. A VERY close second: UP FRONT. A superb game that can be downloaded in its newest form on www.wargamevault.com - Russo-German conflict is included.
3. DE LUXE Advanced Squad Leader. I am very glad MMP is relaunching the De Luxe treatment of ASL again. The system is so much better with big hexes.

Mind you all tactical games are rather generic in that they can only portray a very small detailed picture of certain fights.

If you want to have an historical correct analysis of global military operations you have to go to the present day Grand Tactical systems offered by MMP or Compass Games and a few others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Pender
United Kingdom
Helston
Cornwall
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmh, good question.

in no order from what I own and have played:

1. Old School Tactical & Stalingrad add on, very well done game, easy to
grasp and has flavour.

2. CoH 2nd Edition, love it, fun and fast, would like to see them make a
whole war module or even more units so you can fight more 'Ost front'
goodness in more years than just 41 & 43.

3. I have to say it, but ASL, the ultimate Tactical Sandbox for ww2.

4. As I include Company level games as Tactical I would have to say
Streets of Staling 3rd edition by L2 Design Group, simply the best
Stalingrad game out there.

all the best

Perry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Aguilar
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, Thank you so much for the awesome suggestions and advice! I pulled the trigger and picked up OST, based upon your advice. Although, I have a feeling that I’ll be grabbing a second and third title after researching your comment suggestions! THANKS!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sockwell
United States
Joplin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rich!

Don't discount picking up a copy of ASL Starter Kit #1. All infantry, East Front scenarios and a cheap way to determine if the ASL system is something you want to dig deeper into.

I might get some pushback here, but ASL seems to be the system that all the other systems evolve from, in an attempt to "do ASL better". so why not go with The King?

Cheers,

Mark Sockwell
Joplin, MO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Commander

//thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
I would recommend Eastern Front Tank Leader, which is due to get a new edition by Compass Games this year. This is platoon level, which is higher than the squad level of most games mentioned here, but I think it gives insights that few other games give.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
MAS01 wrote:
I might get some pushback here, but ASL seems to be the system that all the other systems evolve from, in an attempt to "do ASL better". so why not go with The King?

That seems completely backwards. ASL is not the system that "all systems evolve from", rather it was the end product of evolution of one particular system, Squad Leader to cover all aspects of WWII combat universally. So it's exactly not a system geared to the East Front specifically.

Unless you goal is to cover all detail at the maximum level possible, given that the original Squad Leader dealt with the Eastern Front, you might even be better off to get a copy of the original SL to deal with the East Front. I saw an interview with John Hill from shortly before he died where he mentioned that the original idea of SL was to be able to play at almost real time speed. This certainly is not supported by ASL... so SL or Gary Graber's Retro would seem to be the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My obvious PNP plug:

Valor & Victory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ASL.

Conflict of Heroes a lighter second, and Panzer an honorable mention for those most interested in tank vs tank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
M St wrote:
Unless you goal is to cover all detail at the maximum level possible, given that the original Squad Leader dealt with the Eastern Front, you might even be better off to get a copy of the original SL to deal with the East Front. I saw an interview with John Hill from shortly before he died where he mentioned that the original idea of SL was to be able to play at almost real time speed. This certainly is not supported by ASL... so SL or Gary Graber's Retro would seem to be the way to go.

Absolutely agree with going for a Squad Leader & Retro combo.

Retro: Tactical WWII Wargame Variant Rules got me back to my SL stuff after many years lying dormant on the shelves. I use it for all my WW2 Tactical gaming ideas now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tyson
United States
Landing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I'd say ASL, as then you get to play the fantastic module, Red Barricades, set in Stalingrad, with additional Stalingrad modules such as Valor of the Guards and Red Factories. Admittedly, that is diving into the deep end of the pool with ASL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory McAllister
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aggyhotep wrote:
What influenced your decision to keep OST and sell the others?

Glad to hear that you ordered OST. I hope you will get as much enjoyment from it as I have. So to answer your question...

I think a tactical combat simulation is largely a visceral experience. You don’t just push counters. You are moving squads and men while under fire from one objective to another as well as shooting at opposing squads and men. Therefore, the game has to have the right “feel” for you to get that visceral experience. If it is too complex or the mechanics don’t make sense, then the experience becomes more about rules memorization than the experience. If it is too simple, than you feel too detached from what is trying to be simulated. For me, OST has the right feel.

Keep in mind that the other two games you mentioned are fine games in their own right and there are many gamers who would say they enjoyed them more than OST. I didn’t sell them because they were bad games. I sold them because OST was a better fit for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aggyhotep wrote:
I was looking for your guys advice and comments in regards to your favorite WW2 tactical wargame for the Eastern front.

There are a couple of titles that I was looking at, and wondering what your thoughts are on these (which one you would recommend) and any other titles that you like as well. I was specifically looking at:

1.) Old School Tactical
2.) Ghost Panzer
3.) Conflict of Heroes “Awaken the Bear”

Thanks for your help!

I'm very partial to Band of Brothers. I haven't played Old School Tactical, but what I've found is that any of the tactical rules systems can be used to make a good game -- it depends on the scenario design more than the system. I prefer Band of Brothers because of what I find to be its remarkable realism in a set of rules which are simple, tight and sophisticated enough that, with a good scenario, they can generate an excellent and exciting game. In addition to Ghost Panzer, Band of Brothers: Texas Arrows and Band of Brothers: Battle Pack 1 have excellent Eastfront scenarios, designed by Brendan Clark and Beresford Dickens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend Conflict of Heroes, which is a great system. Bouncing up a level to platoons, I would also have a look at Fighting Formations: GD, which is East Front only, has historical maps, and does a good job of differentiating between the German and Soviet capabilities. (Can be a bit of a slog to play with the Soviets sometimes, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Wait for it - Compass Games redo of Tank Leader is coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.