Popular Tags: zuntzu.com [+] [View All]
Ian Wakeham
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone had any online experience of this piece of software yet? You can see it at www.zuntzu.com/. I downloaded it back in August when the developer posted about it on BGG. I didn't play online but I was very impressed with the animated dice rolling across the screen (and not demolishing all the pieces), but was underwhelmed with the available games.

But I had a look at the site today and already they've got a few more gameboxes available to play, including BattleLore, The Civil War and Paths of Glory.

I wonder whether this is likely to rival VASSAL (and the rest) in the future?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Paris
United States
Post Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't catch this when it was announced before, but I'm glad that I checked out your link!

To me, this is the way to make a virtual board game engine in that it can recreate the feel of actual play.

The thing that Vassal has that other products will have to compete with is the open-endedness of it. Being that it's java, it's extensible by the gamebox creator, so you can add "features" that your game needs to be played online.

That, and it's platform independent--no small feature in the grand scheme of things.

I don't think Vassal is going anywhere yet, but ZunTzu is pretty darned cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I downloaded the client and even wrote up a quick gamebox for Hacienda (the graphics are a bit ugly). I'm hoping to get a gamebox for Railroad Tycoon written up in the next month, just have to find time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Krockover
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been using ZunTzu for my solitaire gaming lately and I'm really, really impressed with what Jerome (developer) has done so far. Making a gamebox for it is very quick and simple compared to VASSAL - what takes hours painstakingly entering traits and then characteristics for individual counters in VASSAL is done with a simple scan of the counter sheet in ZunTzu (that being one disadvantage though, if your game is punched already, don't bother).

Unlike VASSAL, ZunTzu isn't hosting gameboxes on his site, so until a central download area for them all is created, it's going to be hit or miss finding a gamebox for the game that you want (if you're copy of the game is unpunched and you have a scanner, make a gamebox yourself, it really is that easy).

I have not tried to connect and play online yet; the gameboxes that I have made are for some fairly non-mainstream games (JP3R, Landships!, The Schlieffen Plan) but I'm most curious to see how it goes. Jerome has a list of items that he's looking to put into future versions of ZunTzu and is generally open to new ideas - his forum has a number of posts about the program: http://www.zuntzu.com/forum/index.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
While ZunTzu looks good, I will still stick with VASSAL for the platform independence. There are already a ton of games out there for VASSAL and players who know the system.

Just my $.02.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
batdog wrote:

Zun Tzu is platform specific (Windows only). That's an instant deal breaker for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ehlers
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
batdog wrote:

Zun Tzu is platform specific (Windows only). That's an instant deal breaker for me.

ditto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RangerRob wrote:

ditto

Ditto that ditto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len Robinson
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:

Now let me see, Zun Tzu is free software but Windows only is a deal breaker for you. My, that's going to hurt their bottom line. Maybe somebody will offer to do a port over to other platforms but let's not knock what's being offered here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lenrob49 wrote:

Now let me see, Zun Tzu is free software but Windows only is a deal breaker for you. My, that's going to hurt their bottom line. Maybe somebody will offer to do a port over to other platforms but let's not knock what's being offered here.

If we don't speak up, how will the author know that there is demand for non-Windows platforms?

$AOL here, for the record - looks very pretty and somewhat interesting, but no use to me without a Mac port.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
This question has come up before. Alas it looks like the author had decided to concentrate on windows only.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/1662051#1662051

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Waits
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lenrob49 wrote:

Nobody's trying to hurt a bottom line, or knocking it. It looks great. Just saying that Mac people will have a more difficult time running it.

I have VMWare and XP on my Mac, so I could run it. Others might use Parallels or Boot Camp to run Windows. It's pretty easy and damn convenient.

The problem for me, at the moment anyway, is the lack of gameboxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Luub
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is Windows only. That is indeed a drawback, since only 90% of people use Windows, that's 10% of people that won't be able to use it. (Ok, actually a lot of Mac people these days can run Windows on their machines if they want to).

In exchange, you get a very nice, quick, smooth interface that makes VASSAL look chunky, clunky, and slow. Which is going to be true for most cross-platform interfaces -- that's just the price you pay for giving up the native widget set for each platform. (Blizzard seems to have solved this problem, but they have lots of developers and lots of time and money to devote to the project, which I'm guessing Jerome doesn't have).

The thing that really sets VASSAL apart from ZunTzu isn't the platform independence, it's the fact that in VASSAL the modules can have all sorts of helpful stuff added in to them. One example is the "command radius" feature in the Victory Lost module. This is really nice! It even takes terrain into account. ZunTzu will probably never have features like that, as the developer has said that he intends for it to be a 'virtual table' and nothing else -- and it does that very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
lenrob49 wrote:
Now let me see, Zun Tzu is free software but Windows only is a deal breaker for you.

Yes. It has two problems: 1) Platform-specific. 2) Closed source. The first is enough to make almost any product product worthless to me. I won't run/use platform specific software products. The second is just enough to lose my interest.

Quote:
My, that's going to hurt their bottom line.

Why would I care about their bottom line or lack of a bottom line?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim McCarron
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batdog wrote:

I think so. Vassal started somewhere and so did Cyberboard afterall

It's in it's infancy right now so will need more time to mature, but if the feature level eventually catches up or rivals vassal at some point and time, I would definetly start building game boxes for it. Until then - I'll wait and give it a little time to see what is planned to be added

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Krockover
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll add a 3rd issue - no pbem support - though Jerome is working on a way around that. It may be that you send video files of your moves to each other, which honestly I don't see being feasible obviously; outrageous file sizes. But with the work that Jerome has done already (very professional looking application), I'm sure that he'll come up with something very satisfactory for handling pbem log files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This gaming platform looks fantastic. One more choice available for gamebox designers and players. I commend Jerome for his service to the hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope that there will be more support for this in the future!! I just discovered the 1960:TmotP gamebox and also the French Battlelore one and was blown away by the ease of use and the fluidity of th interface. I stay away from VASSAL if for no other reason than it is a pain to move around the board and switch windows, and it tends to run kinda slow. This is a very slick interface and seems easy enough to develop for. The lack of a gaming lobby hurts it pretty badly for me though

I will be keeping an eye out for new features though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schultz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb

Wow , this program looks great.

I'd love a Mac, but my favorite games are only on Windows, as are vast majority of games.

And although Mac advertisements harp on the operating system, the 3 most things people want for their computers is software, software, software.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
bratgamer wrote:
And although Mac advertisements harp on the operating system, the 3 most things people want for their computers is software, software, software.

My three main interests after simple functionality, are accessibility, community participation and transparency. This perhaps explains why I don't either OS X or Windows. I want products that are evolved by their users, not for their users. It may also explain why I've not purchased any software for almost 15 years now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Low
United States
Burke
VA - Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Where can I get the sun Tzu Paths of Glory Game Box? the link on the zuntzu site doesn't work. Is it Illegal? if so never mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.