Subject: Are some moduls more solo friendly than others? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marabu Marabu
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Guys,

I have never played LnL Tactical games, but I like Conflict of Heroes Solo very much. And in the same time I would like to play other theatres (especially Vietnam etc.) and it seems Academy Games will not produce solo expansions for other games (or in very long time horizont and probably WWII only). So Solo expansion for LnL seems to be an option for me. I am aware the LnL solo does not work as well/smooth as CoH solo, which is logical, it is not designed just for one game.
My question is, which LnL game is according to you the most suitable for starting with LnL solo? I was thinking Heroes of the Nam…
It seems from reviews here some players are not satisfied with how solo modul works and are switching back to old fashioned solo – playing the both sides (which I dont like at all). Are some moduls (WWII or Modern, does not matter) more solo suitable than others? Or is it a question of scenarios, like some scenarions within the modul are more solo friendly than others?

Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Druelinger
United States
Joppa
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello
I can give you the short answer and that is the solo (system) was designed to support all LnL Tactical modules. There are over 400+ scenarios in the entire system and so it is conceivable that some scenarios may be better executed by the AI than others. The solo system was derived from the Academy Games system and the force selection piece should be familiar to you. After that though the two systems part ways as the unit behaviors are governed by flowcharts for each type of action.

Some complaints have bee that there are no instructions for the AI starting forces and their start locations. This was done to expand replay ability for the scenarios. The Solo module will not play like you and that has been the complaint. Some players feel that the solo module may not be making the best choice. Many times the strategy of the AI works out in the long run and folks have been pleased with that. The solo module has offensive AI cards and Defensive AI cards so that is how we get around defensive/offensive scenarios.

Hope this helps
Thank you
Sean Druelinger
LnL Publishing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an example, I've played the first 11 scenarios of Heroes In Defiance with the Solo module so far. Only one scenario was (IMO) unplayable (meaning not fun) with the solo module.

You can play both sides with the solo-module so you are getting a lot of replay value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marabu Marabu
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Sean,

Thanks a lot for the quick answer! I have asked the same question also under LnL game modules forums and have received the answer that the solo system shines especially in infantry only scenarios. That vehicles and helicopters (my preference in really Nam) put too much complexity for AI. Can you confirm it? In this case it would make sense to buy e.g. Pacific while Red Star with tons of vehicles and helis/aircrafts could be problem. Sorry for another question (and my English), but here in Europe it is quite an investment (when taking game, quite pricey solo, xmaps and scenarios generator), so I would like to be sure buying the best combo possible:-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Druelinger
United States
Joppa
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello
There has been careful consideration for vehicles and helicoptors. I know there are some videos out there using the solo module for the modern game and reviews came back favorably. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZBg-Oq3ZzU&t=441s
The above video is some gameplay from the falklans module.
The complexity for helos and vehicles are two fold. There are the uses for transportation or combat or both. The solo module does handle these situations. I know it is an investment and I do not want to give you information that is inaccurate but I do work for the company so I am a little biased .
The game system in general is very solo friendly. If money is a thing try a module first then add the solo module..

Thank you
Sean Druelinger
LnL Publishing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marabu Marabu
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for tips! Have decided for Nam with expansions and solo modul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kmikolaj wrote:
You can play both sides with the solo-module so you are getting a lot of replay value.

And that's if you only play each scenario one time as each side!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only a small sample size to speak from, but having played some simple Lock 'n Load Tactical: Heroes of the Nam scenarios with Lock 'n Load Tactical: Solo I was pleased with the experience. The AI may make what you think would be a less than ideal decision, but:

1 a human opponent will also make mistakes
2 sometimes what I thought to be a poor decision resulted in an interesting outcome.

I think the solo system is quick to pick up and after a few turns I was comfortable with the flowcharts I was regularly using.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.