Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jerry adamsson
Sweden
Karlshamn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
My opponent Said he was committing his subs to go for my convoys and i intercepted with a NAV, then he Said ... ”ok, i do not roll to try to initiate combat, i dont dare to now when your NAV is in the air”

Is this legal ....?
Can you do so to bluff your enemy ?

Or is he Forced to make a search roll once he has Stated That he commits his units, or is SUBS an exception ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dolges
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like 'commit' is the operative word here. He committed his subs to combat.

EDIT: watch out naval air interception is performed before committment. So the order is: you choose to intercept. Then he decides if he is committing any units. Then searches are made, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jarvinen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
copied from the rules:

"The combat sequence has these steps:
1. Initiate a combat in the sea area.
2. Both sides (active side first) fly aircraft to the area (naval air interception).
3. Both sides (active side first) commit SUBs.
4. Search for the enemy. If neither side finds the other, the combat is over.
5. Determine type of combat (air, surface or submarine).
6. Resolve combat.
7. Both sides may voluntarily abort the combat (active side first).
8. If both sides remain, start again from step 2. If not, the combat is
over."

And, yes, to initiate a combat you must turn a unit face-down. The rules answer the obvious question that results vis-a-vis SUBs:

"You may turn a SUB face-down even if you don’t intend to commit them to the combat."

If the process started with an interception attempt on enemy naval units as they move, the rules answer similarly:

"You must now turn a unit (except an aircraft in storm or blizzard, or a convoy or carrier plane) face-down. If you can’t turn a unit face-down, you can’t intercept. You may turn a SUB face-down even if you don’t intend to commit your SUBs."

There is a little more to the interception process and sequence, depending on the interception die roll. But all is pretty clear in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wifbert Boye
Canada
flag msg tools
Yes don't confuse initiating combat with committing subs. If the opponent said he will initiate, and then you reacted in a NAV, then per the sequence stated in the rules, he does not have to commit the subs to combat.

On the up side, his sub is flipped and can't initiate again and your NAV will stay in the sea zone and provide the same benefits if future searches result in combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jerry adamsson
Sweden
Karlshamn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all....
Yes we both thought so as you explain , but it still seemed a bit odd (to me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jerry adamsson
Sweden
Karlshamn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one more thought....
If the enemy declares he is initiating a combat and choose not to commit his subs.... shouldnt the other player who intercepted out to the sea-box be able to search.... there still was an initiating of combat ??
Or....?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wifbert Boye
Canada
flag msg tools
Yes there would be search rolls since combat was initiated. However, if only subs are present and they are not committed then rolling to search is pointless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.