Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played or owned any edition of Stronghold but have investigated it enough now that I would like to get a copy.

Even though I much prefer the art style of the 1st edition, I was planning on getting a copy of the 2nd edition since I believe it looks to be the better version gameplay wise but now I just discovered this standalone version/expansion that is coming out.

From the information released so far it's hard to tell how this gets integrated into the 2nd edition. Since it's standalone it would have to come with all of the pieces to play both sides, so to expand the 2nd edition I would have to assume you could swap out different locations inside the castle, maybe have different types of troops, weapons, etc. that could be used in either game. I'm wondering if I should wait and just get this version when it comes out. The smaller price tag makes me think that it will not have everything the base 2nd edition has so I'm a bit perplexed.

Anyone know more about this new version or have an opinion on whether it would be better to get a copy now or wait?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jooice ZP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think any of us know any more than you do.
Except that we have been waiting for a 2017 release of the expansion...
So don't hold your breath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
I have never played or owned any edition of Stronghold but have investigated it enough now that I would like to get a copy.

Even though I much prefer the art style of the 1st edition, I was planning on getting a copy of the 2nd edition since I believe it looks to be the better version gameplay wise but now I just discovered this standalone version/expansion that is coming out.

From the information released so far it's hard to tell how this gets integrated into the 2nd edition. Since it's standalone it would have to come with all of the pieces to play both sides, so to expand the 2nd edition I would have to assume you could swap out different locations inside the castle, maybe have different types of troops, weapons, etc. that could be used in either game. I'm wondering if I should wait and just get this version when it comes out. The smaller price tag makes me think that it will not have everything the base 2nd edition has so I'm a bit perplexed.

Anyone know more about this new version or have an opinion on whether it would be better to get a copy now or wait?

Thanks!

Both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I placed my order Order Date: March 20, 2017, and still waiting

jooice wrote:
I don't think any of us know any more than you do.
Except that we have been waiting for a 2017 release of the expansion...
So don't hold your breath.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not buy this blind. Go with the current edition with the downloadable rules and FAQ to get the best experience.

Wait for undead release, review (let's hope for some honest ones this time around, last time not one reviewer mentioned the rulebook or misprints ) and eventual corrections before purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everyone. Max brought up a good point I had forgotten about. I noticed while looking into the game that there were a number of misprints. I believe many of the order tiles had the wrong wording on them. Were those ever corrected?

I also noticed that not many retailers have the 2nd edition in stock anymore. Do you think it will be reprinted when the Undead expansion comes out or do you think they have moved on from it and will only be producing the Undead version since its standalone from now on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you see 'portal' at the box of the game, be prepared for bad rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don’t know what Undead is going to end up like, but once you learn Stronghold it is just a fantastic game. I say that if you are interested, don’t wait for Undead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tsiros fernando
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Nice game, mechanics and idea, but bad rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Richardsville
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some details I stumbled across in regards to the Undead Expansion:

Quote:
Glory no longer matters - now both opponents fight for time.

The Necromancer has 8 rounds to defeat men or his army will vanish in sunlight. From the 5th round his power starts to melt away, and he must pay to keep his forces in the battle.

Defenders die on the walls. Necromancer's power wanes. Who - at dawn - will be able to stay standing and who will perish?

This expansion introduces a new set of buildings in the stronghold, a new set of Invader cards, new rules (Fear level, Leader board) and many more extras.

Sounds like getting the 2nd edition base game and adding this later like others suggested would be the best bet. Just wondering if the misprints were fixed or if it would be wise to wait for a reprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Algebraist
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
trakes wrote:

Sounds like getting the 2nd edition base game and adding this later like others suggested would be the best bet. Just wondering if the misprints were fixed or if it would be wise to wait for a reprint.

The misprints are a bit annoying, but nothing game breaking (IMO). The major issue is that there are a few secret defender cards that refer to buildings by incorrect names, and at least one rule that is misprinted and I have only seen a second-hand official clarification.

The misprinted rule is whether or not invalid attacker orders (e.g. if the goblin order ends up at a wall segment with no goblins, etc) are *permanently* removed from the game, or just returned to the attacked supply. There is a ritual that explicitly permanently removes defender Hero orders under some circumstances, and the rulebook-as-written clearly says that attacker orders can similarly be permanently removed, but I think that that has been clarified (just not in the official FAQ).

Given how much fun this game is, and how slowly the expansion is coming along, I wouldn't let the misprints stop me from getting a copy. (And I hate misprints!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.