BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: How has your tastes in board games changed over time? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Morin
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just a general question as I am fairly new to board games and have found the most I discover the more I am learning and developing my ideas of the games I enjoy playing.

I went from Catan, to Scythe, to gloomhaven, and then finally twilight imperium 4th in my first year of board games.

I find that my growing interest in board games has brought me to games I never knew existed.

Please share your own journey, I would love to learn about other interesting games and how you got there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Stables
Australia
Lawson
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Catan and 6 nimmt in '96 which reignited my interest in boardgames (I played Cosmic Encounter and Risk in my teens). Once I migrated to Australia in '97 I introduced my in-laws to these Euro's whilst living with them and I joined a game group when my wife and I moved out.

For the next 15 years or so with being in a game group it was mostly Euro's I played. When another move and having kids meant leaving the group and less time to play externally, I settled into playing solo so my interest changed to accommodate the change in circumstances. I also discovered that Euro's with very little thematic narrative no longer appealed to me as they felt more like efficiency puzzles rather than being humourous and social.

I have come full circle playing with the family, focussing more on having laughs or storytelling, but not at someone else's expense so Catan no longer appeals; I much prefer co-ops, party games etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmb
For a long time I had only ever played Monopoly, Connect 4, Jenga, Pictionary you know the types then one day my girlfriend heard about a boardgaming cafe and it revealed a whole new world. I went out and bought Carcassonne and then just kept getting deeper and more complicated games and now love Feast For Odin, T'zolkin, trajan, Scythe, Spirit island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that my tastes haven't actually changed that much, but, it took a little time to actually uncover them. As in, I thought/assumed I liked certain things, but in the end, discovered I didn't.

So - early on, having been introduced to Carcassonne and the like, I thought I liked the mid-heavy modern Euro line, and started playing them. I discovered that, no, mostly these bored and annoyed; and that while my favourite games are ridiculously thematic simulations, I also have a big soft spot for the old German family style games and card games - especially because these get played (my favourites tend not to very often).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LeeT
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
I've been watching you too, I promise not to keep you long, I'll keep you forever.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well over time.....I'm learning to rely on solo games as fewer people want to engage.(in my circle)soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have a theory that most people's tastes don't change over time. What looks like change is actually a process of discovering what your tastes already are and finding the games that match them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always enjoyed strategy games and games that required some thinking to "figure out" the winning moves.

Over time I found that it has become easier and easier to find these kind of games, but harder and harder to find someone to play with.

The heavy-thinker category of games is a bit of a niche. And 10-20 years ago board games were often either "super casual" or "super heavy". That pushed a lot of players into the superheavy category, who did not really belong there. And I can feel now that the increased offering of games means the players are more spread out and the super-heavy category is pretty thin.

Something else happened over the years, somewhat tied to the above observation, that not so much changed my taste, but changed which games I actually play.

When playing with a group of friends I found that it is infinitely more fun to play a game that is "somewhat fun" for everyone than one where 3 out of 4 are only playing because the 4th begged for months.
Maybe I got more mature, but I started to get more enjoyment from the activity of playing the game with someone than from playing the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
badge
Someone on the internet is wrong!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have definitely found that my tastes change over time. Early on, I liked pretty much anything. Shiny new designs and twists were awesome and I liked exploring everything I could.

Over the past year or two, I've found that I have a lot less tolerance for games with heavy rules load. Games that I love, like Dungeon Petz or Mage Knight would not be games I would seek out now. I am glad I already know them, because they're excellent games.

I've also found that my bar for what makes a good game is higher now. Games that I used to think were a 7 are now a 5 or a 6, because it takes something excellent to stand out, and I've played so many games now that I don't eagerly seek out every new release like I once did.

Yeah - I'm grumpy now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I certainly still play the games that first got me into the hobby like Catan, Carcassonne, and Guillotine. Back in the day, I wanted a game to be easy to learn and quick to get on the table.
But nowadays I'm a lot more into games that have a bit more to offer in terms of options and strategies.

Getting Arkham Horror was the turning point for me. So far, the only coop I had was Lord of the Rings, and I never knew a game could have mutiple ways to victory with such variation and atmosphere. Arkham Horror was a game that was 'fun to lose', it was all about the gameplay itself and a playtime of 3 hours was fine.

If it wasn't for Arkham I wouldn't be playing (and loving) Merchants and Marauders, Mage Knight, or Doomtown Reloaded now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Horton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The number of dudes on the map has increased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From liking EVERYTHING to getting the insight that games should be SOCIAL [interaction] fun (and that long heavy weight games were more work that social fun).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zorko
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:
I have a theory that most people's tastes don't change over time. What looks like change is actually a process of discovering what your tastes already are and finding the games that match them.

I also have the feeling that at the start every game seems awesome, given that you probably didn't have similar experiences with board games before.

Given that a couple of replies stated that they get intoo heavier and heavier games I noticed the opposite (to some degree), while I still like some heavier games I tend to gravitadte to medium weight/lighter titles.

I also expected taht I wouldn't like to much dice rolling, but I have found out that it doesn't bother me and that I enjoy the "excitment" more than I thought I would - I still like euros a lot, but more and more amerithrashy titles peak my interest (recently Warhammer Underworlds: Nightvault surprised me by how much I like it and I have the feeling it'll get even better over time)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Glenn

Wyoming
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:

Disagree.

For instance, loooved Monopoly once, would rather watch paint dry now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though I still enjoy the easy games, I find myself testing out heavier games now than before. Also, With the ever growing Collection of soloable games, I enjoy more to play solo, rather than constantly play multi. This is very good, as I rarely get to play With other People..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quill65 wrote:

I don't agree. I've been playing games now for over half a century, and my tastes have changed over that period. Even if you stick to just my adult life of four decades that's still so.

However I agree there is some truth in what you say. In part because some types of games I like to play are recent in invention. And that can influence tastes. I have a different attitude to dice in games now there are much cleverer uses of them. But even so I'm much more relaxed about the idea that I play my best and (in a four player game) increase my chances of winning to let's say 40% as compared to I play my best and thus win. Of course I like the latter too, and the former works better in shorter games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
* In the 1960s and 70s I played a lot of mass-market games and Avalon Hill games.

* From about 1980 - 2008 I played mostly sports games like Strat-O-Matic.

* From 2008 - present, mostly Euros and some Ameritrash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Notodden
Norway
Notodden
Telemark
flag msg tools
I game...
badge
...and I'm a gnome.
mbmbmbmbmb
leelee220 wrote:
Well over time.....I'm learning to rely on solo games as fewer people want to engage.(in my circle)soblue

I know all too well how you feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TeChNoWC wrote:
quill65 wrote:

Disagree.

For instance, loooved Monopoly once, would rather watch paint dry now.

Monopoly is an interesting one for me.

As a kid, I loved it.

When I first got into modern games, I got on board the hate train. Why had I ever wasted time on it when there were all these far more interesting, brilliant titles out there? Etc. Then I played a lot more of the modern titles, realised a lot weren't that well suited to me, and found myself enjoying monopoly again when my kids inevitably discovered it (despite all the "better" options lying around). I taught them to play "right". It's never my first choice, but it's okay.

I think it's possible to grow out of a game, while maintaining your tastes. There are things about monopoly which definitely match up with what I want in a game, even if there are better games now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Bilko
United States
Roseville
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been in the hobby for a little over 5 years now. When I first started I would only play Euros but now that Ameritrash games have started to include some Euro mechanics I've started playing those as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Balley
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
I have always loved playing games, but for a long time I was only aware of a small segment of the game options. I played a lot of traditional card games, classic board games like Stratego and Scrabble (my family always played speed scrabble, which is now its own game in Bananagrams), and party games like Taboo, Cranium, and Balderdash.

Then I encountered Catan 4 years ago. After Catan I found Dominion, which is still one of my favorites. Now I own over 60 modern games that I had not heard of 4 years ago. I still tend to like most games, but I tend to shy away from cooperative games and war games.

My challenge is finding people to play games with, and I haven't been able to get into playing solo. I have found that I would rather read a book than solo play a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My taste hasn't changed much. I will say that what I play has though. I have gotten much better at reading my groups. I play more party and lighter games then I like, but that is who I often game with. Luckily I have a group the gets together semi-regularly for some heavier titles or when not enough people can make it to the RPG session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcius Fabiani
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
"The game is afoot."
badge
"The game is afoot."
mbmbmbmbmb
80s: traditional card games, mass market games
90s: some card games, but mainly video games
00s: card games, some German games (Carcassonne, Catan)
10s: everything else, but today my preferences are auction games, area control games, and card games. My references in game designing are Reiner Knizia, Wolfgang Kramer, and Carl Chudyk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming taste really haven't changed. I enjoy games from all over the place. I really just like the social aspect of hanging out with people and playing games. My ability to identify what games certain people will like and enjoy has gotten better and better. There is nothing worse than suggesting a game and someone being miserable playing it with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once posted right here on these boards several years ago claiming that Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) was the best game ever made, now, I still like it but would not support that claim at all.

Games I like far better than Talisman these days:
Eldritch Horror
Terraforming Mars
...to name a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming looks something like this (top 3 listed only. Others are there, but infrequent)

70s: Mass Market Games, D&D, Arcade Video Games (Quarters!)
80s: RPGs, Hobby Board Games, Computer Video Games
Early 90s: RPGs, Hobby Board Games, MUDs
Late 90s: RPGs, CCGs, Computer Video Games
00s: CCGs, Hobby Board Games, Computer Video Games
10s: Hobby Board Games, Mobile Video Games, Mass Market Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.