Subject: AI Variant - Energy / culture priority rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mylon Brickcaster
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So after getting blown out by some unlucky rolls, I thought about a simple change to the AI to make it more consistent:

AI will only try to generate energy or culture once per turn. If energy or culture comes up a second time, the AI will reroll it. The AI will not automatically discard a reroll coming up with energy or culture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mask
msg tools
mb
Could you elaborate a bit please on the mechanics and the rationale behind the proposal?

So, some questions to clarify:

If I roll my first -say- energy and the AI can't use it (for example it has 4 ships on culture planets) do I count this as the one and only (failed) attempt? Has the AI wasted its once in a round chance?

Quote:
If energy or culture comes up a second time, the AI will reroll it

So, is this treated as an unusable result as per normal rules? Or is it rerolled as if I never rolled it (so if I get another unusable result I get to reroll once more)?

Quote:
The AI will not automatically discard a reroll coming up with energy or culture.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean by that :-(

My (not that big) experience with the solo game is that AI's chances to win rely mainly on it managing to upgrade and reaching the "skull level" on its tableau rather than getting to 21 points. Is your variant helping or impeding this?

Thanks for taking the time to clarify!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mylon wrote:
So after getting blown out by some unlucky rolls, I thought about a simple change to the AI to make it more consistent:

AI will only try to generate energy or culture once per turn. If energy or culture comes up a second time, the AI will reroll it. The AI will not automatically discard a reroll coming up with energy or culture.

My sense is Tiny Epic Galaxies: Beyond the Black fixes some of your concerns. I don't have that much experience with both but there is more for the AI 'to do' with dice when adding the expansion.

Just a thought!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mylon Brickcaster
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
soiram wrote:
Could you elaborate a bit please on the mechanics and the rationale behind the proposal?

The basic idea is, if the AI can use an energy die and there is already one in the activation bay, it will instead opt to reroll. But if a reroll comes up as an energy die, it will still activate it as normal (assuming the AI can). Likewise for culture. The basic idea is to limit the energy generation of the AI and try and get it to roll more ship movement. So yes, this is intended to limit the AI's usual rapid rise to the skull level.

It's a very minor change to the AI's logic, as energy dice are very powerful early on. And losing because the AI hit the skull level (as opposed to actually leaving it's galaxy and contesting planets) is not fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mask
msg tools
mb
Ah, I see, good point.

I will give it a try and see if I get statistically significant results :-)

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.