Root» Forums » General

Subject: Issue with amazon seller and second printing. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Burleson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I noticed yesterday that something odd was going on with my amazon order of root. ITs scheduled to be delivered between "January 17th and February 6th" from NYC Collectibles. However, it said it was shipped on Monday (it is now thursday) and when i go to track the package through USPS it says that the label has been created but the package hasn't made it to USPS yet. Wierd for sure. I start googling and come across a thread about gloomhaven, and this is where things got VERY suspicious.

According to the thread, https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1914082/course-action-gloom... The people who preordered weren't able to cancel their order because in amazon's eyes the game had already been "shipped." I became very concerned when I saw the last comment left on the thread [article=30038027#30038027]Here[/article]

Basically this appears to be the same store. Of course I understand you do your research on 3rd party sellers before buying. But this was ordered for me by my parents for Christmas, and they've sent me the tracking info.

My main question is regarding the second printing. Is it done? I'd love to think the best of the company and trust that they actually have the game, but it seems unlikely.

Even if I can't get help here, hopefully I can warn someone else!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either you get it or Amazon gives you your money back, it doesn't seem like a big deal either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Heaton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
new user
I ordered the 2nd printing of both the base game and the expansion directly from Leder Games. The base game has shipped with no problems, whereas I’ve received the same notification as you did from USPS regarding the expansion. I imagine it’s just shipping delays, I wouldn’t worry too much about it unless circumstances change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Britt
United States
Providence
RI
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The second printing is currently making it's way into circulation. Leder Games does not have control over Amazon sellers or how they process their inventory so contacting Amazon or the seller is likely the best course of action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airhick Fooyey
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, definitely contact the seller. FWIW, just yesterday I requested cancellation of my order for Riverfolk Expansion (found it for a fair bit cheaper and given the constant delays on Amazon anyway, why not?). I had purchased through the same company as you (NYC Collectibles) via Amazon. They processed and approved the cancellation within like 4 hours. So, I suspect it's all on the up and up.

I think something to keep in mind is that when you're dealing with a third party seller you're not dealing with Amazon's shipping services. So, it's not gonna be as fast or as transparent as you might be used to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen M
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yep "NYC Collectibles" is a scam. Check their reviews page, it's full of people complaining that they never got their item -- they've apparently found some trick to get them all cleared as "not due to seller", but there's no way that many problems are just coincidence.

I've made the mistake of buying from them before too. They'll generate a shipping ID so it gets tagged as "shipped" and you can't cancel your order, but not actually give anything to USPS. Amazon will refund you, but unfortunately you need to wait until 3 days after the latest estimated shipping date before you can get your money back.

This is indeed the same seller as Brooklyn Toys in that Gloomhaven thread. I have no idea why nobody's been able to convince Amazon to put a stop to this yet. I wrote a complaint in to customer service a few months ago, got a formulaic response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditocoaf wrote:
Yep "NYC Collectibles" is a scam. Check their reviews page, it's full of people complaining that they never got their item

94% positive seems reasonably high for a "scam".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen M
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Click through the pages. There are more 1-star reviews than not, they've all just been crossed out as "The fulfillment issues associated with this order were not due to the seller" and so not included in the average. Even if you want to believe that's an accurate clearing of responsibility, that's a ridiculously bad track record.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Burleson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
DaviddesJ wrote:
Either you get it or Amazon gives you your money back, it doesn't seem like a big deal either way.

Completely agreed, just wondering if I could get some info and warn others.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, good to know other people have been able to get refunds!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful. There are a bunch of scammy resellers on Amazon that step in whenever Amazon runs out of product.

I had a run in with one of those "Brooklyn Toys" and learned the hard way never to order from one of them again. If the item is "shipped by Amazon" (Prime), then you are protected by Amazon Customer Support. If it is shipped directly by the reseller, then you are at their mercy.

It took a direct email to Jeff Bezos to resolve my issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure how these "scammers" are able to maintain their high marks, but I can tell you that negative reviews *are* purged. I posted a very negative review on Brooklyn Toys and it was gone within two days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Freedom Rider - Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
badge
The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil - George Saunders
mbmbmbmbmb
Discussing Retailers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CardBoard Bear

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon makes more money out of the 3rd party sellers than from their own stock. I guess that explains why they refuse to fix the problem with board game preorders being considered "shipped" when only the label was created.

the only solution is really never to preorder board games on amazon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CardBear wrote:

Expect delays and not worry about it, and get a refund if the game never arrives, seems like a perfectly good solution too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CardBoard Bear

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
CardBear wrote:

Expect delays and not worry about it, and get a refund if the game never arrives, seems like a perfectly good solution too.

it was not for gloomhaven, as people had preordered it on amazon, but the stock was very limited. so, months after the preorder, they wanted to cancel the preorder on amazon and get the game somewhere else. the seller however would not refund, and amazon would refuse refunding because it said "shipped" even thought it was only a shipping label.

so people were forced to either buy the game somewhere else hoping that eventually amazon would refund; or risk actually having the amazon order delivered at one point, and having two copies of the game; or keep waiting for the amazon order and risk not getting the game at all before it went out of stock again.

I even heard people having their preorder canceled because in the meantime the value of the game had gone up so sellers wanted to sell it on ebay at twice the price instead of sending to buyers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tawin K
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Did anyone else pre-order from Gamenerdz.com? Still waiting to hear what's going on with my pre-order but I guess it'll take a bit longer since they have to receive it from Leder then ship it out to me. The price was hard to beat though. $27 + $5 shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gleason
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
So I ordered my copy of Riverfolk from NYC Collectibles back in October and still haven't gotten in, which is frustrating - but I will say that I've spoken with them multiple times and each time they have notified me about current going-ons and also offered to cancel and reimburse me each time.

They told me, to which I have nothing but their word, it was due to delays in printing and shipping as well as the holidays. The reason, as others mentioned that the go ahead and do "shipped" is so that they can keep the transaction going, because if they do not have the item shipped within 30 days it is automatically canceled and refunded.

Which as of yesterday the new shipping date says tomorrow (the 11th) it will be going out which hasn't changed since November so I'm tentatively excited.

Like I said, it's not perfect by any stretch, but in my experience with them they have completely honest and forthright with information - which to me seems a little more viable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen M
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's weird, I have seen plenty of stories (in old threads about Brooklyn Toys, and in the Amazon reviews) of them being forthright and communicative like that, that they're only faking shipping in order to do a pseudo pre-order that Amazon normally doesn't allow. I hope they come through for you! Please do follow up, either here or with geekmail.

When I tried to cancel an order with them, they told me I couldn't cancel because my item was already shipped -- they "shipped" it that exact same day (for an expected arrival two months later), and it never arrived. They never responded to my questions other than that first message telling me they wouldn't cancel the order.

It seems generally inconsistent whether people get your experience or mine. I suspect that they make a bunch of listings for hot-ticket items, regardless of whether they'll be able to obtain the thing or not, and then just ship what they can and let Amazon force a refund for the things they can't.

The reason I'm comfortable calling them a "scam" is because their removal of negative feedback is clearly an exploit of the system somehow, and because they make it look like they actually have stock of things that they don't, and because it seems they just plain never ship a lot of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditocoaf wrote:
The reason I'm comfortable calling them a "scam" is because their removal of negative feedback is clearly an exploit of the system somehow

It's not clear to me. I'd have to hear from a bunch of people who left negative reviews about exactly what happened and why before I would be sure of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CardBoard Bear

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

there's a whole industry of amazon "helpers" that charge sellers to navigate amazon's system. there have been cases of amazon employees that worked in the seller dispute resolution team, and they'd take bribes to fix a seller's account. so I'm not surprised negative reviews disappear.

but to be honest, I think it's not even bribing, it's just that amazon has a conflict of interest when it comes to seller's reviews. once I bought a permanent marker that was advertised as bright orange but it was in fact salmon. I filed a complaint and then later a my negative review, but my negative review was never posted. I think normally amazon allows all sorts of negative reviews, but if it's in connection with a complaint you filed I believe they remove it because they assume it's a revenge review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We received 1 of 3 containers at the depot. The rest are coming soon. They will go to distributors and then to the retailers. I'm surprised they are doing shipping notifications but maybe they are gaming the Amazon system a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gleason
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Ditocoaf wrote:
I hope they come through for you! Please do follow up, either here or with geekmail.

I'd be more than happy to.

Ever since the delays have started I have been taking a photo with my cell phone each day as well as duplicating all emails received. The photo is due to the fact of how many times the listed dates changed, as a precaution to myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schreiner
United States
Middleboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leder Games Shopify has a similar scam. Got an email saying my game has shipped but only the label has printed. It's been 3 days avoid them at all costs!!!!

this is a joke!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Hagenlocher
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Guanciale wrote:
Leder Games Shopify has a similar scam. Got an email saying my game has shipped but only the label has printed. It's been 3 days avoid them at all costs!!!!

Me too!

This has happened to me in the past with other purchases from other vendors. In each of the previous cases, the issue was poor tracking by USPS and not actually a vendor problem. But maybe this time is different? Maybe Root is actually the Root of all Evil?

My daughter wants me to include an emoji, so kiss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leder
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guanciale wrote:

this is a joke!

You guys got me!

Without just kidding though, Travis the Atlas Warehouse guy usually prints all of his labels up front and then packs them through out the week. These label's tracking will reflect that until they get picked up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.