Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob B

Johnstown
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Hello all:
I am working on an abstract strategy game for 2-4 players utilizing 9 two sided cards to form a 3x3 grid upon which players move two workers each in order to score points. The first to score 20 points wins.
It requires One sheet of letter size paper or card stock for the cards to printed. The rules are on two pages but, really do not require printing.
Other components required are Two worker pawns or meeples for each player and a means for each player of tracking points up to 20. (I list in the rules 1 d20 for each player)

It is a simple grid movement game however, the unique aspect of the game is that each player has the ability to manipulate the grid physically by moving cards around and flipping them over which can cause point scoring or loss for other players on the same turn. The game is very raw at this point but depending on feedback, I will work on dressing it up.

If anyone is interested here's a link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/foqrpkdszh9g2rb/9crdGrd-1-10-19.pd...

Thanks,

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll probably get more feedback if you just posted a link to the files.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob B

Johnstown
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Thank you. I edited the op and added the link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob B

Johnstown
Colorado
msg tools
mb
After some play testing. I will be updating a couple rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob B

Johnstown
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Cervantez wrote:
You'll probably get more feedback if you just posted a link to the files.

I posted a link and revised the rules.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I just tested this as a two player game on my own.
Unfortunately, the rules are not very clear, so I made a lot of assumptions.

Here are some questions I had after reading the rules:
EHow does this 2-1-1-1-2-1-1-1 placement of meeples translate to a game with fewer players?
ECan I move diagonally?
EI assume the card's orientation has to stay the same when flipping it...
EWhen moving a card, can I just put it anywhere?
ECan I move a card with meeples on?
EIn your example of a legal card placement you disconnected one card entirely from the rest. Is that really legal? Without a restriction like "a card has to touch edges with at least two other cards" the game space could become very large as cards drift away from each other further and further.
EThe cards should really show the numbers of the other side as well. Otherwise I always have to look underneath cards to see whether I want to flip it or not.

I had written my thoughts here after two games, but then I realised that I played a rule wrong (I only scored for the active player, not for all of them).
I will test it again with the correct rules and post my thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I had a game ending 25:17 and one ending 20:19.

The game is actually not bad, I think. I expect it to be very chaotic with 4 players since the game boad changes a lot between your current and your next turn.

What I like:
During setup the start player wants to place his meeples next to a high number so he can move onto it, but that leaves this number open for other players to place their meeple there and potentially score during the start player's initial turn. I like that thinking.

What I don't like:
I would expect the high numbers to also be "higher risk" so that players moving there always have to hope that no one flips over this card. But in fact the highest numbers (+3 and +4) both have a +1 on their back, while the +2 has a -2. So the higher a card, the safer it actually is. You never lose points if some flips a 3 or 4 under your meeple, you just get a few points less.

Furter questions and clarifications needed:
EI assume that if more than one player has at least 20 points after scoring, the one with the highest score wins. You should mention that. Currently the rules say that the player scoring 20 points first is the winner, but since all players score simultaneously, that does not work.
EWhat happens in case of a tie? In a two-player game I would assume playing another round. But what happens if there are other players who did not yet score 20 points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob B

Johnstown
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Cervantez:

Thank you for trying the game and for all of the feedback, it is great. You point out some things I certainly overlooked. I will address them in a rules revision in the next couple days.

I will try to answer your bullet points here...
1)In a two player set up simply alternate placement of your meeples.
2)You can move diagonally. The rules state one space in any direction.
3)The card has to stay vertical but can be tuned with the numbers up-side-down.
4)You can put a card anywhere as long as it touches (adjoining) another card.
5)You can move a card with meeples on it.
6)The legal example shows the card adjoining a corner which makes it possible to move there diagonally.
7)I will have to consider putting the backside number on front however, I feel this adds a bit of "push your luck" to the game.

I will modify and clarify the scoring in the rules as follows. When someone reaches 20 the end is triggered. Continue scoring the turn and the player with the most points wins the round. If there is a tie for the highest score, everyone continues until the tie is broken. If there is a tie for a lower score the high score still wins the round.

Again...Thank you very much for playing the game and for your comments. I believe this will make the game much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob B

Johnstown
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Okay. I made some rules changes and added another 9 card set to shuffle in and create some re-play-ability. Same link in the OP.

I will play the new rules several times over the weekend. And post my thoughts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Roofus91 wrote:
6)The legal example shows the card adjoining a corner which makes it possible to move there diagonally.

What I wanted to prevent from happening was this:

Currently there is nothing preventing you from splitting the game space. With 9 cards in play you could end up with 4 distinct groups of 2 or 3 cards.
I think there should be at least a rule to prevent splitting the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.