BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Co-Op Games: Add/Drop Players MidStream rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Riley

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
I've searched the co-op games I have and haven't been able to find it.

I know there are some co-op games where you can add or drop players during play without impacting the challenge of the game.

Does anyone know what game(s) these are?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DevoDog wrote:
I've searched the co-op games I have and haven't been able to find it.

I know there are some co-op games where you can add or drop players during play without impacting the challenge of the game.

Does anyone know what game(s) these are?
Don't think I've every seen any, since true co-op would imply that you are relying on other players to do something. Otherwise you're just playing team solitaire (each playing their best and totaling scores at the end).

Any game with open information would work, since one/all remaining player(s) could simply take over the leaving player's character. Similarly, these games can always be played solo playing multiple character) or with each player playing multiple characters (extra characters can be handed over to another player if one joins).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronny Alexander
United States
Centrevillle
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can drop in and drop out of The Shipwreck Arcana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Decatur
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This can easily be done with Codenames Duet. This game is advertised as a 2-player, but can be played with essentially 2 teams. I had started playing with a co-worker at an outing. Some people would ask what we were playing, join for a round or two, then drift off to another table. It worked fine.

...also works with regular Codenames too, though that game is Team VS Team, similar but not exactly cooperative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iamzimmer wrote:
This can easily be done with Codenames Duet. This game is advertised as a 2-player, but can be played with essentially 2 teams. I had started playing with a co-worker at an outing. Some people would ask what we were playing, join for a round or two, then drift off to another table. It worked fine.

...also works with regular Codenames too, though that game is Team VS Team, similar but not exactly cooperative.

Same thing would apply with any team or party game like that (Charades, Pictionary, etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mojo Hand
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows over Camelot
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective
Mythos Tales (very similar to Sherlock)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Riley

Chicago
Illinois
msg tools
Arkagus wrote:

Shadows Over Camelot is what I was thinking of. I knew it was a game that I had played before, but thought I owned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cummins
United States
Geneva
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The King's Armory
It's a tower defense game. It scales its difficulty based on player count.
You can jump in or drop out between waves. It's a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible in This War of Mine: The Board Game because it's actually designed as a pure solo game. In multiplayer mode each player just makes one decision, then control changes to the next player. Thus it theoretically supports any number of players and it doesn't matter if players leave or join.

In Magic Realm, it's also possible to join or leave the game at any time. It's not full co-op, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Alton
United States
Lawrenceville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DevoDog wrote:
Arkagus wrote:

Shadows Over Camelot is what I was thinking of. I knew it was a game that I had played before, but thought I owned.

This would work especially well if the player who dropped is the traitor.
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any cooperative game with solo rules (or a solo game with cooperative rules) should be able to accommodate this easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.