16 Posts

Fireball Island: The Curse of Vul-Kar» Forums » General

Subject: Is it possible to have six players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dejawho
msg tools
Hi,
I have the expansion for a 5th player but I need to use it with six. I tought to just use a minuature from another game to add a 6th player. Do you think this will break the game too much? I tought to use all the expansions with this so there will be enough space for everyone I think, are there any other side effect you can think about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I can see, you'll likely run into 3 issues with going to 6 players:

1) Treasures will be spread around more, meaning that total points will be lower than in a standard game.

2) You'll go through more cards per Round, making it much more likely for the game to end by Cataclysms. This means that it is much less likely for players to collect all three Snapshots and get to the Hello-Copter - which does balance things out from point 1 fairly well, but it also means that the treasures at the back of the island are significantly less attractive because of the difficulty of getting them and getting away safely.

3) As with any other game, adding more players will increase the downtime and the chaos that the action cards can bring about. Upside, this means that each card is much more likely to be successful, but it also means that you really can't count on much staying the same by the time it gets to your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you add in extra cards from the expansions, it might not be too bad. You also might have to deal with a snapshot shortage, but see how it goes. The biggest problem with adding more players is that you're much more likely to be knocked over to start your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JustinDJacobson wrote:
If you add in extra cards from the expansions, it might not be too bad. You also might have to deal with a snapshot shortage, but see how it goes. The biggest problem with adding more players is that you're much more likely to be knocked over to start your turn.

And you can end up with 5 or more Souvenir cards which can be fun but some are situational.

You need the Treasure Trove deck (which is excellent btw). I houserule shuffling most of the Injury cards into the Souvenir deck as one shot/turn effects.

When I've played with 4 inevitably one gets left behind on points for whatever reason.

The team game variant in the rulebook is a good idea but I used it once.

If nothing else have 2 players take turns co-op with one mini or dropping fireballs and launching embers.

If you have the Crimson Cutlass then there's more places to go (I don't have it yet but have everything else)

I think you have to play it couple times and then maybe houserule it such as taking some Cataclysm! cards out of the deck so the game doesn't end too soon with 4 marbles in the scar.

This 3D game with marbles, Tiger and Boulder is engaging in & of itself where downtime between turns I don't think is as big of a deal as some games. It plays rather quickly except for re-setting snakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played with six and it seemed to work fine.

We have six in our family so I painted one of the extra unpainted pieces as an orange player and we played a six-player game. We already had the five-player expansions.

We added all the action and souvenir cards from the expansion and never really had an issue with running out of cards. We did also add an extra snapshot so that everyone could collect all three if they wanted (just a piece of paper with a word written on it - only one was collected). To make sure the game wasn't over too quickly, we required 4 cataclysm cards to be played before we added the third and fourth marbles.

I'd read the warning in another thread that we'd always start our turns knocked over. I know that was echoed again in this thread but I really didn't feel like it was that much of a problem. It felt like we were knocked over as much as in games with fewer than six.

The game did take longer and there was some downtime between turns, especially if someone hadn't planned their move beforehand. But overall, I'd say it was a success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

JustinDJacobson wrote:
The biggest problem with adding more players is that you're much more likely to be knocked over to start your turn.

Is this a bad thing? (I'm not asking about the "being knocked over" aspect, as getting knocked over incurs a price to pay. I'm asking about the "to start your turn" aspect).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

JustinDJacobson wrote:
The biggest problem with adding more players is that you're much more likely to be knocked over to start your turn.

Is this a bad thing? (I'm not asking about the "being knocked over" aspect, as getting knocked over incurs a price to pay. I'm asking about the "to start your turn" aspect).

It makes it harder to think about your turn because you don't know where you'll be starting it. Also less strategy about which treasures to take since they'll be passing around a lot more.

Not a huge problem at 6, I imagine. This is the answer I've given for anything more than 5, and it usually comes up when someone asks if they can pay with the regular minis and the painted minis, i.e., 10 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

JustinDJacobson wrote:
It makes it harder to think about your turn because you don't know where you'll be starting it.

And this may be what I'm missing... I interpret the rules such that when you're knocked over at the start of your turn, you can choose which space to stand back up on, if your character is straddling more than once space. So why wouldn't you know?

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

JustinDJacobson wrote:
It makes it harder to think about your turn because you don't know where you'll be starting it.

And this may be what I'm missing... I interpret the rules such that when you're knocked over at the start of your turn, you can choose which space to stand back up on, if your character is straddling more than once space. So why wouldn't you know?

Thx!

You end your turn in a space. Theoretically you have the whole time until it gets back around to you to count out which card you want to use and where you want to go. If you get knocked over, you're also most likely getting moved from the spot you were standing on, changing the plan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Ahhh... I get where you're coming from, now. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejawho
msg tools
Ok thanks to everyone, this afternoon I will try to play with six players and after I've read your comments I think I will play like this:

-I will add the fifth player from the expansion so in the end we will have 5 souvenirs for each color. I think it is enough because it will always be possible to collect 3 for someone and however if a player is unable to take one then it is his own fault because he was not fast enough (I consider it like to be unable to get a treasure because someone else got it first)

-The golden idol, tiger and the boulder seems fun, so in the end I think I will add them

-I will add the player power card but a player will select one randomly because there aren't enough card for each player to give them two and allow a selection

-I will add the crimson cutlass to have more space on the board and not fell like it is to much crowded

-About the cataclysm, that I think it is the most sensible things here it will work like we are used to but requiring to exceed the four marbles to have the game end. We are used to end the game when the fourth marble is placed on the scar. I will change this to "when you can't place any more marble on the scar". So in the end you will have to play 3 more cataclysm cards to end the game and near the end there will be more marbles shot by vulkar. Seems legit to me.

-I don't think I will use the snake or bee expansion, or maybe only the snake. The problem of the bees is that you throw a fucking dozen of bees trough vulkar and this add too much confusion to the game and in the end I don't like it.

-I don't know if I'd add also sinister motives from the crimson cutlass, they add another layer to the game and I think they could be confusing for someone.

-From treasure trove I will add the injury cards and the hungry souvenirs (and also the standard ones).

-From treasure trove I will avoid the legendary souvenirs, too much situational and/or op.

I think this is pretty much everything, what do you think?
Btw general question, when a player is knocked down by the bees or the snakes has he to give a treasure like when it is knocked by any other marble? I think yes because the rules always talking of a knockoff without specifying the reason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For player powers, you could draw 3, let the first player choose, draw back up to 3,,E.g. the next player choose, draw back up to 3, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejawho
msg tools
JustinDJacobson wrote:
For player powers, you could draw 3, let the first player choose, draw back up to 3,,E.g. the next player choose, draw back up to 3, etc.

can be, but I think the first player would be to much advantaged, the last one will take the scraps of the other players and must hope that the third card is really good to compensate.

Also in your opinion what is the correct amount of cataclys cards that should be in the action deck? Because when using expansion maybe you integrate only some part of it (for example you can take the tiger but not the bees), but if you do like that then you have some action cards that will be removed (in the example before the cards that trigger the bees). In the end it is not easy to decide a right amount of card.
I'd say the cataclysm card should be inversely proportional to the number of players (since more cards are drawn each round), so I'd say something like the number of action cards (withouth counting the cataclysm)/the number of players and the result rounded up. With 6 players and 32 action cards (my deck right now with integrated some expansions) it will end up with 6 cataclysm cards in the deck. It seems pretty fair but I need to try it yet. What do you think?

Oh another unrelated question, there is a sinister motives card I can't understand. It says something like it will give bonus points in the ends for each set of treasure I got. But what does it mean for each set in this case?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jacobson
United States
Plantation
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dejawho wrote:
Also in your opinion what is the correct amount of cataclys cards that should be in the action deck? Because when using expansion maybe you integrate only some part of it (for example you can take the tiger but not the bees), but if you do like that then you have some action cards that will be removed (in the example before the cards that trigger the bees). In the end it is not easy to decide a right amount of card.
I'd say the cataclysm card should be inversely proportional to the number of players (since more cards are drawn each round), so I'd say something like the number of action cards (withouth counting the cataclysm)/the number of players and the result rounded up. With 6 players and 32 action cards (my deck right now with integrated some expansions) it will end up with 6 cataclysm cards in the deck. It seems pretty fair but I need to try it yet. What do you think?

In the base deck, 8 of the 30 cards are cataclysms. Keeping that ration should be fine, but you can always tweak if you want to make the game longer or shorter. That said, as you make the deck bigger, you increase the variance, so it's possible you'll get enough cataclysms early to make the game even shorter in practice. So you might want to, say, shuffle half the cataclysms into the top half the deck and shuffle the other half into the bottom of the deck and then stack them.

Quote:
Oh another unrelated question, there is a sinister motives card I can't understand. It says something like it will give bonus points in the ends for each set of treasure I got. But what does it mean for each set in this case?

There are two that work that way.

"Score 3 points for each set of red, yellow, and blue treasures you have." = make sets of 1 red, 1 yellow, and 1 blue and get 3 points for each of those sets (in addition to your regular points by color).

"Each set of colors with 6+ treasures is worth 20 points to you instead of 15." = Normally the most you can get for any one color of treasures is 15. If you 5, 6, 7, 8 yellow treasures, they are still only worth 15. With this card, if you have 6, 7, 8, they are worth 20 instead of 15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dejawho wrote:

Btw general question, when a player is knocked down by the bees or the snakes has he to give a treasure like when it is knocked by any other marble? I think yes because the rules always talking of a knockoff without specifying the reason

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Six is fine, but a little long on the downtime and total playtime.

With a surfeit of caution we modified the rules to require 4 cataclysms per cycle, but that really didn't seem to do much.

For player powers, 5 players we dealt 2 and discarded one. Then the sixth player got their pick of remaining powers. We didn't notice that there were not enough cards for normal distribution until we played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.