Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The card for the Hound of Tindalos in OS3 (or at least, in the Omega Rulebook for OS3) says that the Hound may be placed at any gate, even an enemy gate, upon obtaining the card.

It doesn't say that the Hound may be Summoned onto enemy gates later in the game. I assume that this is intentional, and that the Hound cannot be Summoned onto enemy gates later in the game. But I wanted to ask just to make absolutely sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
it's your sister Cheryl!
badge
I work for Petersen Games. AMA
mbmbmbmbmb
dbuel wrote:
The card for the Hound of Tindalos in OS3 (or at least, in the Omega Rulebook for OS3) says that the Hound may be placed at any gate, even an enemy gate, upon obtaining the card.

It doesn't say that the Hound may be Summoned onto enemy gates later in the game. I assume that this is intentional, and that the Hound cannot be Summoned onto enemy gates later in the game. But I wanted to ask just to make absolutely sure.

My understanding is that you are correct - only the initial placement. Normal Summonings are just that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
existoid wrote:
dbuel wrote:

My understanding is that you are correct - only the initial placement. Normal Summonings are just that.

Thank you so much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Hobbit
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Same goes for insects from Shag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, I have another one for you.

The Hound of Tindalos is owned by Opener of the Way. The Hound and Yog are hanging out in a space. The Hound doesn't die, because Yog is a gate.

Opener wants to Move Yog one space over. Which of the following happens?

1. Yog Moves one space, and the Hound teleports into that same space for free, just fine.
2. Yog Moves one space, but there's a split second before the Hound teleports for free, and so it dies because it's not at a gate for that split second.
3. The Hound will not be able to teleport into the new space no matter what, because the free teleport has to be set up at the time the Move is announced, and there's no gate at the destination.
4. Some other thing

Thank you for any answer you're able to provide

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbuel wrote:

The Hound of Tindalos is owned by Opener of the Way. The Hound and Yog are hanging out in a space. The Hound doesn't die, because Yog is a gate.

1. Yog Moves one space, and the Hound teleports into that same space for free, just fine.
2. Yog Moves one space, but there's a split second before the Hound teleports for free, and so it dies because it's not at a gate for that split second.
3. The Hound will not be able to teleport into the new space no matter what, because the free teleport has to be set up at the time the Move is announced, and there's no gate at the destination.
4. Some other thing

Answer one for me: movement is simultaneous (for the Hound but also for the others game pieces)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector-Xavier de Lastic
Greece
flag msg tools
dbuel wrote:

4. Some other thing

The Petersen rationale is that, whenever in doubt, rule that both players get the maximum benefit of their spellbooks.

Following that, I would rule that the Hound survives: before the Move Action it is in an Area with a Gate, during the Move Action it teleports to an Area with a Gate and after the Move Action it rests in an Area with a Gate.

If the Petersens disagree, I am willing to abide with that, though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pitpipo wrote:
dbuel wrote:

4. Some other thing

Answer one for me: movement is simultaneous (for the Hound but also for the others game pieces)

Totally disagree, it is question of causality: what causes the free move is the move of the Opener and so to have the free move, the move of the opener must be triggered so that the condition to have the Tindalos free move is respected.

The best way to solve these kind issues is to avoid additional special rulings like we need to specify that all moves are simultaneous.

Why ? In a broader perspective, this is clear that the moves are NOT simultaneous as you always have the possibility to trigger a free action between two moves: for example, i move CThulhu i attack and then, on the ground on the results of the Battle, decide to move or not some other units...

You could argue that it is the intent that matters but that could cause some other issues...

in fact, the more i think of this the more i will precise for the "move" action:

"The first move in a player turn is a standard action. Any additionnal 'moves' are considered to be free actions (that means you may take any number of 'move' actions although you still have of course to pay 1 PP for each)"

This way, i solve the quite not so rationale rules about the difference between actions and free actions: 'move' was the only one i need to precise that it allows to move any number of units while 'move' is NOT a free action. That alwasys sounded weird to some new players

Arthur, your feeling about this ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S

Texas
msg tools
badge
The valuable lesson is that you can get what you want and still not be very happy.
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:

Why ? In a broader perspective, this is clear that the moves are NOT simultaneous as you always have the possibility to trigger a free action between two moves: for example, i move CThulhu i attack and then, on the ground on the results of the Battle, decide to move or not some other units...

Is there anything in the rulebook or an official ruling by PG that states this? All I have seen describes Move as a single action, though you can choose how much to pay and how many units to move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
you always have the possibility to trigger a free action between two moves: for example, i move CThulhu i attack and then, on the ground on the results of the Battle, decide to move or not some other units.

You cannot do this. Move is a standard action - you move one or more units, paying the cost for all of them. If you have unlimited battle, you can choose to battle before or after Moving, but you cannot move-battle-move as that would be taking two standard actions.

Cheers,
Graham
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hobbs
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bengougou75 wrote:
Pitpipo wrote:
dbuel wrote:

4. Some other thing

Totally disagree, it is question of causality: what causes the free move is the move of the Opener and so to have the free move, the move of the opener must be triggered so that the condition to have the Tindalos free move is respected.

The best way to solve these kind issues is to avoid additional special rulings like we need to specify that all moves are simultaneous.

You could argue that it is the intent that matters but that could cause some other issues...

in fact, the more i think of this the more i will precise for the "move" action:

"The first move in a player turn is a standard action. Any additionnal 'moves' are considered to be free actions (that means you may take any number of 'move' actions although you still have of course to pay 1 PP for each)"

This way, i solve the quite not so rationale rules about the difference between actions and free actions: 'move' was the only one i need to precise that it allows to move any number of units while 'move' is NOT a free action. That alwasys sounded weird to some new players

Arthur, your feeling about this ?

Assuming moves work this way, the Hound reads:
"The Hound cannot preform a Move Action by itself. The Hound Moves for free whenever you move any other Unit."

The use of the term whenever would imply that this move is simultaneous with the other move. So, You declare that Yog is moving and when he moves the Hound also moves for free to another gate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jchobbs wrote:

The use of the term whenever would imply that this move is simultaneous with the other move. So, You declare that Yog is moving and when he moves the Hound also moves for free to another gate.

My point exactly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jchobbs wrote:

Assuming moves work this way, the Hound reads:
"The Hound cannot preform a Move Action by itself. The Hound Moves for free whenever you move any other Unit."

But it also says whenever you move any other unit, which wouldn't be the case in the example provided, as it's another player moving a unit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S

Texas
msg tools
badge
The valuable lesson is that you can get what you want and still not be very happy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Which example?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
bengougou75 wrote:
you always have the possibility to trigger a free action between two moves: for example, i move CThulhu i attack and then, on the ground on the results of the Battle, decide to move or not some other units.

You cannot do this. Move is a standard action - you move one or more units, paying the cost for all of them. If you have unlimited battle, you can choose to battle before or after Moving, but you cannot move-battle-move as that would be taking two standard actions.

Cheers,
Graham

Hmmm... a lot of time has passed since i play CW. I will look after that question. Maybe you are right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wonderloss wrote:
Which example?

Whoops, my bad actually, I misread Douglas' post and thought that the Hound and Yog were owned by different players, but now upon re-reading I realize this was not the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.