Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than theme... for example, do any of the cards do anything different?

I like how sometimes they add a card with a new/unique/different ability. Just curious if there are any of those in this version that are not already in TOS version. If so, would you mind posting how many and an example or two?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Roche
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: How does this compare to Star Trek (The Original Series) Fluxx?
There's enough differences to warrant getting both versions, but I particularly like the fact that the Bridge Expansion Pack is also available so that you can play BOTH versions together and have crossover Goals that take advantage of both decks' cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S M
msg tools
I was actually disappointed that they didn't at least change up the Action and New Rule cards in the two games. Would have been nice to have each game with some variations, so that when you combined them you had a great variety of the standard cards. But other than the theme-specific cards the two decks are pretty much identical.

Even many of the theme-specific cards are identical (other than the name and picture), and basically almost identical to Star Fluxx.

You can find the full deck listings for each game on the Looney Labs website:

https://www.looneylabs.com/lists/star-trek-fluxx-card-list
https://www.looneylabs.com/lists/star-trek-TNG-fluxx-card-li...

Having said all that, it was nice that they produced two separate games for Star Trek. I think Doctor Who Fluxx suffered from trying to combine the original series with the new series.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevesdragon wrote:
Even many of the theme-specific cards are identical (other than the name and picture), and basically almost identical to Star Fluxx.

Is there any version of Fluxx that it isn't, maybe not identical, but essentially the same as original Fluxx? I've never got the impression that any of the rethemes were actually mechanically rethemed, only cosmetic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Knepper
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
stevesdragon wrote:

Is there any version of Fluxx that it isn't, maybe not identical, but essentially the same as original Fluxx? I've never got the impression that any of the rethemes were actually mechanically rethemed, only cosmetic.

Overtime, the Fluxx series of games have added new mechanics, specifically, Meta Rule, Creepers, Surprise, and Ungoal, as well as the Fluxx Dice. A few of the games in the series do not use all of the available mechanics; but, retro-fitting the missing mechanics is no problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aging One wrote:
davypi wrote:
stevesdragon wrote:

Overtime, the Fluxx series of games have added new mechanics, specifically, Meta Rule, Creepers, Surprise, and Ungoal, as well as the Fluxx Dice. A few of the games in the series do not use all of the available mechanics; but, retro-fitting the missing mechanics is no problem.

You also have Keepers with abilities, Creepers that attach to things, and various one-off mechanisms like Doom in Cthulhu Fluxx.

Vanilla Fluxx itself has gone through several iterations. They added Creepers to one version, only to remove them from the next version to put it back to being a "simple" Fluxx with only the core four card types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S M
msg tools
Actually, many of the rethemed decks varied the Action and New Rules cards a fair amount. Part of that was undoubtedly because of when they were published.

But over the years, there have been probably 100 sufficiently variant Action cards to say that they are different cards, and the same for the New Rule cards. Some went out of vogue over the years, but in general Looney Labs seems at any given time to have a "standard set" of each that they use in whatever version they create at that time. If you look at the various Card Listings on the Looney Labs page, as well as the many Promo cards and special cards from one game that become "standard" cards, there is a lot of variety in the many decks; but there could be a lot more, especially if they want to make a total of 3 games (including Star Fluxx) that are nearly identical when it comes to the mechanics.

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.