finbar taub
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are so many things about this game i love. The two mechanics that come to mind are the battle boards for solo play - BRILLIANT!! Wish i thoughta that! Also, the way you use trophies to spend on skills (cool) but then some skills need certain trophies- (briliant design choice there).

But i have some solo play concerns. First off ive bern playing Locust Swarm and Margath solo and, holy crap its hard. mind you this is coming from a player who absolutely loves difficult challenging solo games. Mage Knight, Ghost Stories, Oh my goods Longdale (Which is punishingly hard, in case you didn't now) - some of my faves. But you have to have some hope that as you play, you learn the game, get better, and eventually can maybe sometimes win- and not Just because you got some lucky draws.

With these scenarios, they seem either not worked out exactly well for one hero solo (Locust Swarm) or just way too hard (meaning you need to be hella lucky) (Margath).

Margaths healing ability sometimes makes the fight feel pretty senseless - based on luck for the most part ( too much based on luck)

My other issue is with quests. They seem really unbalanced for single hero play because with more heros you have way more chance of being near a quest target. In solo, hell if i have Time to traipse all the way across the map to get a quest.

So- do i just suck that bad, or Does this make sense to anyone else?

thanks-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
FULL THROTTLE
badge
FULL THROTTLE
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to make sure you're getting Margath's healing ability right, he heals 1 for each of your unspent tokens. I got this rule wrong the first two times I played co-op and we got destroyed, so now my wife jokes (?) that she won't play Runebound again. But I got it right for my first solo play, and won (albeit with 1 hp left).

The low chance of being near a quest location is offset by their bigger potential rewards. It's worth picking some up early, because who knows where you'll end up. I didn't end up completing any last time, but I lucked out with the skills, got Black Market, and parked myself at a shrine, conjuring up artifacts and selling them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found Margath solo reasonably manageable. I've won with Laurel of Bloodwood and Elder Mok, and I've lost with Eliam and Lord Hawthorne.

Locust Swarm is a beast, though. Still no wins on that one for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Curie
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I always play solo with 2 x Characters and don't always win, which is why I enjoy playing Runebound. Lots of options and things to do and each replay of a game feels random and exciting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
finbar taub
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Gravey wrote:
Just to make sure you're getting Margath's healing ability right, he heals 1 for each of your unspent tokens. I got this rule wrong the first two times I played co-op and we got destroyed, so now my wife jokes (?) that she won't play Runebound again. But I got it right for my first solo play, and won (albeit with 1 hp left).

The low chance of being near a quest location is offset by their bigger potential rewards. It's worth picking some up early, because who knows where you'll end up. I didn't end up completing any last time, but I lucked out with the skills, got Black Market, and parked myself at a shrine, conjuring up artifacts and selling them.

Thanks so much for the reply! - and yes thats how im playing Margaths ability. Thing is, if you get Mystic or Trickster (i did - both) he has 4 tokens with surge (i believe ) so that 2 surge ability goes off A LOT, and early, when you still have a bunch of tokens unused. And sometimes its obvious that his two surge is better than the three surge (especially in solo play) so in keeping with the rules...

"Sometimes, during the resolution of an enemy ability, a choice has to be
made. Make the choice in such a way as to be most detrimental to the hero,as best as you can."

I mostly feel obligated to use his healing when its possible as opposed to the three unblock-able damage.

As per your timely comment about the Quests - im not sure i understand how there is "bigger potential rewards"? I was meaning in my OP that its strange to me that the quests don't scale somehow for player count - so per each quest drawn, its less likely that you will be near a quest location with just one hero than with two or more heroes. Maybe it would be better for solo that you could pull two quests and pick the best one, to make the ratio closer to a two hero game. Hmm.

BTW - thats so awesome that your wife and yourself play games like this together - so cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
finbar taub
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:
I found Margath solo reasonably manageable. I've won with Laurel of Bloodwood and Elder Mok, and I've lost with Eliam and Lord Hawthorne.

Locust Swarm is a beast, though. Still no wins on that one for me.

Thanks! Ya i been using Lyssa and getting trounced by Margath and with Locust it hasnt even been close -

ima try a different character and see if that helps out -

thanks for the reply!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
finbar taub
United States
san diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
poxdac wrote:
I always play solo with 2 x Characters and don't always win, which is why I enjoy playing Runebound. Lots of options and things to do and each replay of a game feels random and exciting.

Yes i agree - i like the randomness and exciting nature of the game too. Although on my plays so far (one hero) ive felt like ive had to race at breakneck speed to accomplish what i needed to and didnt have much time to really explore the world and such. Was hoping to solo with one hero though - even though im sure ill do two soon as well.

thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.