Subject: please recommend a board game for 10 year old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leaf Next
Canada
flag msg tools
new user
Hi there,

Sorry if I'm posting this in a wrong channel, I'm new to this site and board gaming in general, can someone please recommend a thoughtful and fun game board game between $60-$80 price range.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What’s the ten year old interested in?

Any prior gaming experience to keep in mind?

Lots of great games for that age. Help us narrow in on the best one(s) for your situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leaf Next
Canada
flag msg tools
new user
Thanks for the quick reply, she likes to cook also, likes things from medieval times, she has elder siblings(about 2,3 years) it would be nice if all of them could play this game together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Lafuma
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First game that comes to mind is Kitchen Rush

It’s a co-op game for up to 4players.

It’s a fun real-time kitchen simulation with sand timers. All players work together to prepare food and serve to hungry customers.

Also check:
Ethnos - fantasy theme, giants/orcs/menfolk..etc. (is that medieval?) super fun, light set collection/area control game. Matching colors or factions to score points and control areas on the game board.
Kingsburg (Second Edition) - this is definitely medieval theme, fun dice rolling game where players need to obtain resources to build up benefits to defeat the monster at the end of each season. A favorite for my game group; and ages 10+ should have no issues with any of these games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Miller
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Super awesome dude
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough to make a recommendation based on the information given, but your price range is quite generous. I would wager that most games people recommend here will be far below your minimum range, especially given the age range we're looking at.

Perhaps a small pack of games may be better.

I'll start off by recommending Adventure Land from HABA's family line of games. It's perfect for the age range, and since she enjoys things like the Renaissance fair, this may tickle a thematic bone as well.

Something a bit simpler, but no less fun, that I would recommend is King of Tokyo. It's a simple dice game with a fun theme that would be easy for everyone to grasp. My youngster plays it, but I get requests from my older board gaming friends to play it a bit as well.

On the smaller end, I'd suggest perhaps some card games like Love Letter, a great little card game that can be played between longer games or in a series all itself, as well as Sushi Go! or its big brother game Sushi Go Party!, which is just a lot more Sushi Go!

Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leaf Next
Canada
flag msg tools
new user
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately only one seller is selling this game on amazon.ca and it is a bit pricey over 100$ and not available in the market section in Canada.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damn Dirty Ape!
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Queendomino
Sushi Go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of games with a Medieval theme that my 10 year old daughter enjoys are:

Citadels
Carcassonne

Citadels does involve bluffing and can be "mean" - it probably depends a little bit on her relationship with you/elder siblings as to how she takes it. One of the actions that you select in secret involves basically chosing someone to lose a turn. It was actually a good learning experience for my daughter and now she handles it in her stride.

I had my eye on Medieval Academy for a while there but haven't actually tried it.

These are all pretty cheap so you might be able to even pick up a couple, or Carcassone with some expansions or what have you.

My daughter is most currently enthused about Agricola. I have not actually seen her this excited about a game.... ever.

However she does have a fair bit of gaming experience under her belt - it's not that it's overly complex - it's fairly intuitive - but it does require a fair bit of heavy thinking to play well and not have your game family starve. There is a Family Edition which might be worth a look.

On the cooking tack, maybe:

Sushi Go Party! or Morels... the latter has an expansion to push it out to 4 players. My daughter enjoys both of these as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just introduced my 10 year old daughter to The Castles of Burgundy.

She's beaten me three out of three tries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Lafuma
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
syeuddd wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately only one seller is selling this game on amazon.ca and it is a bit pricey over 100$ and not available in the market section in Canada.

Found one at Across the Board Cafe (Canadian) these guys are great. Ordered from them twice. One left $78.99

https://acrosstheboardcafe.com/product/kitchen-rush/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leaf Next
Canada
flag msg tools
new user
I'm really thankful for all the helpful suggestions, I'm taking a look at all these suggested games, as I'm browsing I came across a game called "Istanbul" what do you guys think of it? she does have some board games but I'm not sure which one she currently has, is this game very common?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Lacroix
Canada
flag msg tools
I would highly recommend Clank!

Martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Lafuma
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Istanbul is great! Good choice. It is common, highly regarded, has great replay ability as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leaf Next
Canada
flag msg tools
new user
I think I'll go with "Istanbul", thank you all for the suggestions and very helpful comments, this is my first interaction with the community and honestly, I'm simply overwhelmed by the support, is there a way I can buy the game from the site owners to support the site as supposed to buy from Amazon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tolman
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have had many good suggestions. My 10 year old loves Dinosaur Island. It is a really fun game, Jurassic Park in a box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Lafuma
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
syeuddd wrote:
I think I'll go with "Istanbul", thank you all for the suggestions and very helpful comments, this is my first interaction with the community and honestly, I'm simply overwhelmed by the support, is there a way I can buy the game from the site owners to support the site as supposed to buy from Amazon?

Yes and no. Firstly find the best price wherever you can. Anywhere you buy a game is supporting the hobby and as you delve deeper you start to uncover great local sites and shops. In regards to this site, if you look up at the top of the page click on bazaar and go to the geek store, anything there is sold directly from the site. Mostly game promos like add on cards and some difficult to obtain games, along with game accessories. All those proceeds go to the site. Perusing it will give you an idea of items sold directly from the site, but you won’t find this game there. However, BGG users can sell games through the geek market (also in bazaar). This is morei in line with eBay...individual sellers and the site I believe gets 3%.

Although I’m state side, 2 great Canadian board game sellers I frequent are https://www.boardgamebliss.com/
https://store.401games.ca/

Welcome to BGG, it really is the greatest community online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
C Dylan wrote:

I’d go with Kingdomino over Queendomino for a ten year old with potentially no hobby game experience.

To the OP: here in the US, you could get Kingdomino and Sushi Go both at any Target for a total under $40. I’m not sure how widespread Target is in Canada or if their offerings are the same, but it is something to keep in mind, either now or if you need follow up gifts. Both games are really great, easy to learn but engaging to play, and both would play nicely with siblings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Adventure Land. It's a great family game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua McDonald
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter loves Above and Below. Shes not so great at at managing everything, I usually give her a little help, but she loves exploring and getting to read the little stories, and having to make decisions. Last we played she was 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.