Subject: Confused about card icons? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
david faris
Canada
toronto
flag msg tools
new user
I just got the core set and I'm really excited. I watched several videos about it but I'm stuck trying to play a solo game before I involve the wife.

Some cards have 2 skill icons of the same type but the card reads 1 max committed per skill test. If I can only use one why is there two icons?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only commit one copy of that card. You get both icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Max one of this card (because it's super effective).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david faris
Canada
toronto
flag msg tools
new user
So the double icons mean that there are 2 copies in the deck?
And if I were to build a custom deck then it indicates I am only allowed 2 copies of that card?

Thanks for the reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Goldman

Novato
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Confused about card icons?
The two icons mean you add 2 to a test for that skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Let us say I have two perceptions in a Roland deck. You can have two of any regular card in your deck.

My intellect is 3. I want to investigate, but the shroud is 4 not a great chance of success. To improve my odds I can commit cards with Intellect icons. If I commit one Perception my skill goes from 3 to 5 for this test. My odds improve a lot. But let us say I really want this clue. I could commit more cards like Unexpected Courage, but I can not commit my second Perception because of Perception’s restriction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david faris
Canada
toronto
flag msg tools
new user
So, if I use a card with double skill points, I get the 2 points if its the only card I use for that test but if I use it in conjunction with another card, the maximum reduces to 1?

Edit: oh, wait! You mean I can only use the one copy of perception on the test but it still has 2 points, right?

Damn, I'm confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerGawd wrote:
So, if I use a card with double skill points, I get the 2 points if its the only card I use for that test but if I use it in conjunction with another card, the maximum reduces to 1?

No. Whenever it is legal to commit a card to a Skill test, you may add all the relevant icons to that test. It is not legal to commit two Perception cards for the same test, that's what the text is telling you.

Edit: Confusion is the beginning of Wisdom (and also Insanity)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerGawd wrote:

No. You get the 2 points plus the points of the other cards you commit. You just cannot commit more than one of the restricted card. Follow the example in the previous response. You could play one Perception card for +2 and you could play another card like Unexpected Courage for another +2, but you cannot play a second Perception card because of the "maximum 1" restriction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david faris
Canada
toronto
flag msg tools
new user
Got it!
You guys are awesome!
Thank you all for your time and knowledge!

Im just starting Arkham and have an expansion for it,the forgotten age, I should have bought Dunwich, which I will.

Most likely I'll have a few more questions as I continue, can't wait!

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerGawd wrote:
Got it!
You guys are awesome!
Thank you all for your time and knowledge!

Im just starting Arkham and have an expansion for it,the forgotten age, I should have bought Dunwich, which I will.

Most likely I'll have a few more questions as I continue, can't wait!

Thanks again!

I'm not sure from your post, so I'm going to clarify in case this wasn't clear to you -- the expansions come in sets of a big box followed by several smaller packs called "mythos packs." If you want a full story, you buy the big box and the expansions for that "cycle."

In other words, you'd be better served, narratively, by buying the mythos packs for the Forgotten Age cycle before you buy the Dunwich Legacy big box.

Arkhamdb.com has an easy-to-use system for viewing which cards go with which pack, and which pack goes where in the cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david faris
Canada
toronto
flag msg tools
new user
Thanks for the link Brendan. It will be much easier now to buy the right packs to continue. I had no idea that site existed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.