Hide
10 Posts

Viticulture Essential Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Similar Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Smith
msg tools
Viticulture is my wife and my "go-to" game on a weekend night in. My 8 year old son also likes to play. I personally play a lot of solo war games, but I don't have much experience with any other euro-style worker placement board games.

Would appreciate any recommendations for games that are similar to Viticulture Essential Edition, but would offer us a fresh experience. I have researched a bit, but with the overwhelming number of new games out there, some guidance would be helpful.

Thanks,
Aaron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Fresco, which was a major inspiration for Viticulture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Carpenter
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While Viticulture requires a player to manage their resources (money and grapes) most worker placement games have more types of resources to look after. They also often have less card play!

Having said that, last year's hottie, Everdell, is a lovely game to play that also has a fair bit of card play. If your 8-year old son is OK with the Viticulture cards then I'm sure he'd get on OK with Everdell as there's nothing overly complicated going on.

As a bonus, it is a beautiful game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking for thematic worker-placement games? Is that the sweet spot?

New Bedford (and its expansion) is very, very thematic worker-placement.

Raiders of the North Sea is an excellent spin on worker-placement (the place-one-take-one mechanism in particular).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about another Stonemaeir game?

If you like worker placement Euphoria is great! The only similarity is that it is also a worker placement game, but the production value is high and its a very tight scoring game. All of my games have come down to the last move or 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Smith
msg tools
Thank you for the recommendation, I had not heard of Fresco. Looks nice.

And THANK YOU for Viticulture! It has brought us hours of quality time together with family and friends, and I don't even mind when I lose (which is usually).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Smith
msg tools
Wow, this looks like a beautiful game. I will say the managing cards is the biggest challenge for my son when playing Viticulture. We often have to lay them out for him and help him to determine which ones to play, and when to play them. Which is fine for our game nights, but Everdell looks like the cards play a larger role. I will probably buy this anyway because it looks great and we can always grow into it. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Smith
msg tools
zamoose wrote:

Raiders of the North Sea is an excellent spin on worker-placement (the place-one-take-one mechanism in particular).

Yes, theme is very important. Though hard to explain what themes would work. It's my wife, so I will know it when I see it. New Bedford could be the one, this looks intriguing. Thank you for the recommendation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
aaronjsmith452 wrote:
zamoose wrote:

Yes, theme is very important. Though hard to explain what themes would work. It's my wife, so I will know it when I see it. New Bedford could be the one, this looks intriguing. Thank you for the recommendation!

New Bedford is great! For a 2-player Euro (3 with the expansion) I also love Fields of Arle. An increase in complexity from Viticulture but has a great pastoral feel, it is fun to build up your farm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Williams
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I love eurogames :)
badge
Can't wait for BGG con!
mbmbmbmbmb
aaronjsmith452 wrote:
Viticulture is my wife and my "go-to" game on a weekend night in. My 8 year old son also likes to play. I personally play a lot of solo war games, but I don't have much experience with any other euro-style worker placement board games.

Would appreciate any recommendations for games that are similar to Viticulture Essential Edition, but would offer us a fresh experience. I have researched a bit, but with the overwhelming number of new games out there, some guidance would be helpful.

Thanks,
Aaron

My wife and I loved playing Carson City, it's out of print so harder to find, but it was our love of that which led us to Viticulture. We just started playing Viticulture, but I feel these two are both wonderful worker placement games that are perfect for 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls