1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Return to the Dunwich legacy... misprint? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Chapman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'll try to be generic and avoid spoilers etc... And assume for example (And comical effect) any game situations are going soooooo badly, and I/we refers to me and my gaming buddies.

So, after patiently waiting for this box to appear in the store, i eagerly rushed out and nabbed a copy. I've been itching to play Dunwich again for ages, and this ticked all my boxes.
However, I don't know if it's a printing omission, or things have changed in subsequent printing of the original Dunwich legacy mythos packs, but...

There are replacement locations included in the return to box, and for some scenarios, the final destination is supposed to be random. but my printing of the original locations (Such as the exhibit halls for The Miskatonic museum) have a blank grey circle in the top left hand corner of the unrevealed side. But the new locations included in return to don't. As in the circle is completely omitted. So therefore, it's dead obvious which location is not the restricted hall from the original set.

I thought that if the return to boxes were to be mixed in with the original cards for randomness, they would have to copy the unrevealed side to match. I know it's not a big deal, but if you go in for psuedo-blind experience, it can be a bummer. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's cut off in your image so I can't compare, but is the scenario pack icon identical on both cards?

In RttNotZ, the original NotZ icon was used on the "hidden" side to disguise that the card in question came from the "Return to ..." version. The RttNotZ icon was only on the "revealed" side.

Either way, based on your observation, it does seem like this is a mistake. Personally, I don't remember if my cards had the circle or not, but it's visible on ArkhamDB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that looks like a problem. Did some latter printings of Miskatonic Museum remove the Circle?

Either way to bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
my originals don't have the grey circle. all the exhibit hall cards look like the one on the right. I am going try to pick up Return to Dunwich this afternoon, so i'll see how the new cards compare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan West
msg tools
Mine looks the same as yours, with the original cards having a grey circle in the corner and the new cards not having this. I got a first printing of the original Dunwich cards so assume this changed at some point. It defeats the point of having the original set icon on the front side...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Osborn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you put placeholders or the locations down, and then when you go to reveal one you gather them together, shuffle, and then draw one at random without looking? Essentially treating all the cards of the same location the same regardless of whether the icon is there or not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original fantasy flight announcement shows the Exhibit Halls having that circle: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/10/4/the-mis...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy also has the empty circle in the top-left of the unrevealed side of all 6 Exhibit Hall locations.

Also, in my copy of Essex County Express, my Train Car / Engine Car cards don't have that empty circle on the unrevealed side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that big ugly dot doesn't look very nice on the card. I'm new to the game and my recently purchased cards do not have that grey circle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Chapman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
There is a similar thread over on Reddit, and people are noting that some cards do and some cards don't. The train cars (with images) over or arkhandb don't have the grey circles.
But all of mine do, including the train cars from Essex County Express and all the locations from Where Doom Awaits.

Anyone know of a possibility of fantasy flight doing replacements?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gee, I'm suddenly so happy I pre-ordered this. Yay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
The error is in the FR version too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Danner
United States
Potsdam
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunate, but not completely broken, I hope. One might need an additional chaos from which to draw these, but otherwise function?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
enrico fra
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Return" expansions usually employ different rules for each scenario, so that icon might find a justification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brdanner wrote:
Unfortunate, but not completely broken, I hope. One might need an additional chaos from which to draw these, but otherwise function?
Well, it gives you an idea of which car you're headed into. If you've turned over some already, you might know exactly which one (I assume the new cars are mixed in with the originals).

As a workaround, you could wait until you enter a train car and then draw one, but that's obnoxious.

FFG really should offer replacements for the originals that don't match the Return cards. In fact, they ought to have put replacements in with the Return box, knowing there would be incompatibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Goldberg
msg tools
I have this issue with my Where Doom Awaits cards. Even if I were to buy a replacement pack, there's no guarantee it wouldn't also be a first printing one. This is real annoying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have this issue with Where Doom Awaits and Miskatonic Museum. I put a request in for replacement cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the circle on all three of the hidden location scenarios in Dunwich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

(original image: Clippermonkey)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My copies of Miskatonic Museum, Essex County and Where Doom Awaits all have circles on the unrevealed side of Locations with the same name,eg Exhibit Hall. I was going to get a copy of RttDL but now I’m not sure whether to wait and see what FFG does, or does not about this issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Chapman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Odd that when I looked through the Return to the Night of the zealot box, the Arkham Woods locations from the Devourer Below, all have an almost unnecessary location icon on the unrevealed side, so there was a president to keep the format the same as previous printings.

I have some spare sleeves, so the quick and easy work around that I'm going to do is:
I have some sticky dots, about the same size. So, as these are kept separate from other cards during the scenarios, i'm going to cover the circles, and the space where the circle aren't on the newer cards and job's-a-goodun.
Of course this solution wouldn't work if there are future inaccuracies, such as the 'Arkham Asylum' trait on the patient confinement locations from the Unspeakable oath.

Compared to the cost of 3-4 replacement mythos packs (with no guarantee that they will be newer revised printings) this seems to work.
Fantasy flight would be missing a trick here, people have been asking for smaller packs of additional cards for ages. This would be a great chance to release just the revised and errata'd cards from the core and first two cycles to bring everyone up to date with future printings... Rinse and repeat after another two cycles...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Hin Man
msg tools
From my observation, it seems that FFG had removed the circles after they reprint the mythos packs. Therefore some of us (usually old players) may have this issue and some may not (usually players who join late). This may also depend on the distributors which print they had ordered.

The simplest and fastest way to fix this issue is to buy the corresponding "wrong" mythos packs in FFG store as they should be selling the newest version of all three packs with no circles on the left. In the pack you will also find some extra useful cards such as 2 extra copies of Charisma and 2 extra copies of strange solution... But will you??shakeshake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kelvinman_123456 wrote:
From my observation, it seems that FFG had removed the circles after they reprint the mythos packs. Therefore some of us (usually old players) may have this issue and some may not (usually players who join late). This may also depend on the distributors which print they had ordered.

The simplest and fastest way to fix this issue is to by the corresponding "wrong" mythos packs in FFG store as they should be selling the newest version of all three packs with no circles on the left. In the pack you will also find some extra useful cards such as 2 extra copies of Charisma and 2 extra copies of strange solution... But will you??shakeshake

Replacement Parts Request - That's the only sensible option for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Branko K.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelvinman_123456 wrote:

The simplest and fastest way to fix this issue is to buy the corresponding "wrong" mythos packs in FFG store as they should be selling the newest version of all three packs with no circles on the left. In the pack you will also find some extra useful cards such as 2 extra copies of Charisma and 2 extra copies of strange solution... But will you??shakeshake

So the simplest way to fix a faulty product is to give more money to the publisher??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Long Hin Man
msg tools
Clippermonkey wrote:

Compared to the cost of 3-4 replacement mythos packs (with no gaurantee that they will be newer revised printings) this seems to work.
Fantasy flight would be missing a trick here, people have been asking for smaller packs of additional cards for ages. This would be a great chance to release just the revised and errata'd cards from the core and first two cycles to bring everyone up to date with future printings...

It may be the most ideal case for customers. However, if I were FFG, the two following choices are the usual things I can imagine:

1. "Honest" FFG

On next Monday, all the stuff go to open the stocks of "The Miskatonic Museum", "The Essex County Express" and "Where Doom Awaits" in the headquarter. They take out the corresponding cards and send them to players who requset the replacement cards.

2. "Evil" FFG

FFG announces that they will reprint the replacement cards in the China factory and send to the players who request for replacement cards for free soon. However, it may take two or three months or even longer time. Some of the players who cannot wait for so long will then go to FFG store and buy the new version of mythos packs for replacement. After serval months, most people will forget this issue and continue to buying the new products.

I don't know what is the usual practice publishers will do in USA. Sadly, case 2 is the usual case publishers will do in Asia area. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] |