Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone played with the Ixians, Tleilaxu or Landsraad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e (#37491),
Yes. In my personal opinion, all 3 of the variants as published are atrocious -- The Ixians have no character at all, the Tleilaxu are boring and silly, and the Landsraad is broken and silly. Several people have created their own versions, and at least two email games involving these extra powers have been/are being attempted at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DuneBoardGame.

I am currently playtesting the Landsraad using Boycat's variants (see http://geocities.com/boycat_oh/index.html) and I have to say I think my powers are too weak and inconsequential to the game so far (although that might be due to my own poor play and/or the slow progress of the game). Boycat's Ixians and Tleilaxu are definitely more flavorful than the published versions, and they both seem to be playtesting fairly well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 (#37496),
Thanks, I was wondering about boycat's variants. They definitely seem more balanced.
We really like this one and thought it'd be neat to go to nine players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Lerche
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
n815e (#37505),

Hi, thanks for expressing interest in my variants.

I would say that the rules for Tleilaxu have been working the best out of my 3 variant factions, and so far I have seen nothing that needs to be changed.

I would make 2 changes to my rules for Ix. First, I would allow the Ixian player to give away cards at any time during bidding - only being allowed to do it once is very limiting in my opinion - this gives Ix the ability to a) give away worthless cards more easily, and b) help allies out more effectively. Second, I would change the amount of spice Ix gets from battles (if using the advanced rules) to half, rounded down.

I don't know what to do about the Landsraad - my variant, while hopefully an improvement on the dreadful (and game-killing) variant published in the General, is really not very exciting. I would suggest not playing with them at all!

Also, it certainly adds a huge amount to the gameplaying time by adding 3 more players... and Dune with 6 is a pretty long game as it is.

Phillip aka Boycat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.