Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Frew
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This was posted on the FFG message board, but has not gotten a response. I have EXACTLY the same question, so here goes...

Kapitan Steiner wrote: >

Could somebody please explain this?

Thanks,
Don

BTW, I have only played it twice, but I love this game. I truly do NOT understand what all the early gripes were about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Frew
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that was weird. When I cut and pasted the post from FFG, it appeared in the writing field, but disappeared when the message was posted. Trying again...

>

Any explanations?

Thanks,
Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Frew
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It happened again! Even after independently saving as text to remove hidden code before pasting. Anyway, here's a handcopy...

From Kapitain Steiner: Maybe I am an idiot... but I am NOT following the Objective Set-up for Story Mode. There are various tokens consisting fo gold and silver... primary and secondary, respectively. The goal of the game calls for players to achieve either two primaries, OR, one primary and two secondaries. This tells me, as a minimum, there must be four tokens -- two primary, two secondary -- for each player. Is this correct?

Of course NOT... because there are only SIX OBJECTIVE LOCATIONS on either side of the board.

(Me writing now...) Does this mean that a player has to decide IN ADVANCE whether he will be going for two primaries (with a secondary there just to get extra Victory Points) or for one primary and two secondaries?

Or does it mean that a player is actually going for either one primary or for two secondaries?

Either way, the rules and the board seem to contradict each other. Any explanations?

Thanks,
Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
She liked farming...
badge
...he preferred stabbing things in the neck.
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that you place three objectives: either two primaries and a secondary or one primary and two secondaries.

In this way you're deciding ahead of time whether or not you'll go for the 'two primary' win or the 'one primary/two secondaries' win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
She liked farming...
badge
...he preferred stabbing things in the neck.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a better answer:

Rancemeister wrote:
SorenK23 wrote:

Page 21 of the rulebook makes it clear (to me) that there aren't enough objective circles on either mapboard to play the story mode properly. And obviously the game designers know this, as the example for the Ground Floor objectives on page 21 gives two main objectives per side and only one secondary objective.
In story mode, you're supposed to try to complete two primary objectives or one primary and two secondary objectives. So there is no way to complete two secondary objectives on the Ground Floor mapboard.

And the p21 example for the Catacombs map gives just one main objective and two secondary objectives per side. So there is no way to complete two primary objectives on the Catacombs mapboard. shake

You kinda answered your own complaint there... Playing on the house side of the board you win by securing 2 main and 1 secondary objectives and on the caverns side you win by securing 1 main and 2 secondary objectives... seems straightforward to me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Frew
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So... What I am understanding here is that when the Rules say that the game ends when a player completes either two primaries OR one primary and two secondaries, this DOES NOT mean that both options are available in every game.

In the Crypt game, the only available option is to complete one primary and two secondaries.

In the Castle game, the only available option is to complete two primaries, and the extra secondary is thrown in just to acquire another Victory Point.

Is this correct?

Thanks,
Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kidd
Ireland
Templemore
Tipperary
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the way it seems to be to me.... I think there will be a lot of questions answered as more expansions and boards are released in English...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Sieber
United States
McMinnville
Oregon
flag msg tools
I'm looking forward to having some real talk with some real folks!
badge
Hi, I'm Matt, A radar technician.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the rules are written that way to handle expansion maps.

There may be more maps that have more choices for your objective placements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holyoak
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Designer Wannabe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
model359 wrote:
I believe the rules are written that way to handle expansion maps.

There may be more maps that have more choices for your objective placements.

I sure as heck hope so, because this was a big disappointment for me.
I reading the rules about placing objectives and crates and thinking, "this is awesome" then I open the giant board and see only 6 objective circles and only 2 crate circles!?!? What!?!

I have a ton of crate tokens, and only 2 go on the board in story mode?
That's just whacked!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Pascalis
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right. The rules are written that way because of the expansions. Don't worry. The great thing about this game is that, in story mode, you get to set the balance of the objectives. You can even place one primary and one secondary objective for each side and that's it. Or... do as my group and I do... come up with new objective tokens to represent the skills needed to complete them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pontillo
Canada
LavaL
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You put on the board 8 crate tokens
in death match mode

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.