Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jelle van der Zwaag
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
A friend of mine is crazy about Axis and Allies. Mostly the figuring out of the best strategy and the planning ahead (buying the units for the next turn, f.e.). I like also strategy-games, I guess, but I find Axis and Allies a bit long, somewhat tedious and I have no real fun playing it. I guess I'm spoiled by German-styled games.
His copies of A&A are only catching dust in his closet.

I would really like to play a wargame, but I don't like long games. I think I would like Memoir'44: short, wargamey, figuring out the best strategy and fun. Now my question: Is Memoir'44 a good/reasonable substitute to A&A? Would my friend like it the same way as he would like A&A, or the differences between the two games too big?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Waido
United States
Fort Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
Re:Comparision to Axis and Allies
Kerplunk (#37520),

No Memoir '44 is nothing like Axis and Allies. In wargaming terms, Axis and Allies is a Grand Strategy level game whereas Memoir '44 is a Tactical level game.

In Grand Strategy games, the units usually represent Corps, or Armies (different nations used different terms). Grand Strategy games try to give players the "chance to change history." In WWII Grand Strategy games, players might choose to continue to attack to the east into Russia after defeating Poland in 1939. Or forget Poland and just attack to the west into France.

In Tactical level games the units are usually brigades or platoons, or in some cases, individual soldiers. Players in these game are attempting to obtain a specific objective, such as capturing a bridge, without really knowing how such an action effects the overall outcome of the larger conflict (e.g., WWII).

Of the Axis and Allies genra, the new Axis & Allies: D-Day game comes the closest to Memoir '44, but it is even at a different scale than Memoir '44, being at what is known as an Operational level game. Operational level games usually deal with a spicific battle, e.g, D-Day, the Battle of the Bulge, etc. Like Strategic level games, the winner of an Operational level games does not how his victory effects the outcome of the larger conflict. For example, again using WWI, if the Germans had won the Battle of the Bulge, would they have won WWII? The Western Allies were still strong and had an established supply line back to Normandy. The Russians were still winning in the east and were, at this stage of the war, too powerful to lose to the Germans in the long run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hautemont
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerplunk (#37520),
yes, the two games are really different. And based on your description, I am confident both you and your friend would really like it!
of course, I might be biased laugh
Eric @ DoW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Texsun
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerplunk (#37520),
Memoir '44 is most certainly a horse of a different color when comparing to Axis & Allies: Anything. Memoir '44 is tactical, as mentioned in the comment above, while A&A is strategic.

The most important difference is the time it takes to play. A&A can take forever (several hours), while it seems M'44 is only about 30-45 minutes. My longest game was 50 but that's because we were interrupted by a brief phone call. It's tough to beat that kind of length and still get a lot of enjoyment out of the game like we have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edwards
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerplunk (#37520),

Similarities between A&A and M44:

Cool plastic figures
WWII theme
Relatively simple for wargames, aimed at the "mass market"

Differences:

Scale
Playtime
System

Conclusion:

A gamer interested in A&A is a very valid candidate for M44

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Malecek
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
Kerplunk (#37520),having played multiple games of Memoir during its playtesting with Richard, i am sure your friend will enjoy. I was a diehard miniatures fan more than boardgames but from Battle Cry i came interested in Richard's games and have enjoyed immensly. This as well as Battle Cry and any of the variants Richard Borg will be able to put out is a must buy for me. Have Battle Cry and waiting for my official copy of Memoir now. The nice thing about the game is that you can play several games switching sides and seeing if you can better. Takes a lot of forethought and strategy to win consistently despite its simplistic looks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jelle van der Zwaag
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for all the comments. It's appreciated.

If I read the reviews correctly, you can only move your troops by playing a card. It seems to me that the cards give you a (very) limited choice of play. It's probably not so unlimited as I say (because of all the high ratings), but could someone comment on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Edwards
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerplunk,
The cards do limit what you can do, but unlike Battle Cry, you can always do something. There are not any "useless" cards if you don't have the right troops or position.

Think of it this way: In Axis and Allies, turns represent months, and you play the overall commander of a nation's armed forces. Things are pretty orderly up at Supreme Headquarters.

In Memoir '44, you are the leader of a combat unit, perhaps a company of one hundred men. A turn could be a few minutes. The chaos of battle prevents all your men from doing what you would like 100% of the time. The cards simulate this quite well. The player who can execute the plan "on the fly" will usualy prevail.

Also, in some battles one side is more battle-hardened, they get more cards. The cards also mean that no two plays of the same scenario are alike.

It is up to you to make your plans based on the cards you have, so you might have to modify your plan as you go, but unless you are very rigid in your strategy you won't be limited by the cards.

Hope that helps!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jelle van der Zwaag
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bloodybucket wrote:
It is up to you to make your plans based on the cards you have, so you might have to modify your plan as you go, but unless you are very rigid in your strategy you won't be limited by the cards.

Hope that helps!

It sure does! I realize now, that you have a couple of cards from which you choose the card(s) you want to play, right? Thanks for this insight.

I'm looking forward to play..!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.