United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Fight:

Play this card to hate a Hero, forcing them to Re-roll any number of their Fight Dice (Zombie's choice)

Couple of questions on this card

1) from a thematical standpoint - what does "to hate a Hero" mean?

2) from a rules standpoint, does this mean that the Zombie player can pick which of the Heroes dice to reroll (as opposed to the number?)

For example,

Zombie rolls a 4 and the Hero roles a 5 and a 3 - Does the Zombie get to say - "reroll the 5" of does he say reroll one dice (which the Hero would obviously pick the 3?

If it is the former - I get it - and seems balanced, if it is the second, why would the Zombie every chose less than 2 dice to reroll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hill
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Utrecht wrote:
1) from a thematical standpoint - what does "to hate a Hero" mean?

Really it is meant to be funny. You don't normally associate Zombies with being emotional so the thought that the Zombie might 'hate' the Hero is strange/humorous. Perhaps the Zombie hates the Hero for playing keep away with those tasty brains. ;>

Utrecht wrote:
2) from a rules standpoint, does this mean that the Zombie player can pick which of the Heroes dice to reroll (as opposed to the number?)

'Zombie's Choice' means that the Zombie Player may choose how many AND which dice the Hero must re-roll! Obviously the Zombie would force the Hero to Re-roll the higher roll(s).

- Jason

Jason C. Hill
Flying Frog Productions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob "Bodhi" Wolff
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this card. Undead *do* hate the living! We see it all the time in the movies ;-) And believe me, at the end of this card, I *did* hate the living!

Our last game, as the zombie player, I had a "5" showing, and played this card on a hero rolling 3 dice when they'd managed to get a "six" to fend off the zombie. I had the heroes reroll two of their three dice, and made them keep the single "one" showing on a die.

So they rolled another "one", and a "six", giving them high roll and a set of doubles, turning the combat into a kill for the heroes. They'd gone from fending off the zombies into an out-and-out kill.

Oh, sure, I lost. But it was funny as all-get-out, and everybody had a good time.

Which is the point, after all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
We will bury you
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

'Zombie's Choice' means that the Zombie Player may choose how many AND which dice the Hero must re-roll! Obviously the Zombie would force the Hero to Re-roll the higher roll(s).

- Jason

Jason C. Hill
Flying Frog Productions

Great, thanks for the explanation! Was what it would be - but wanted to confirm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charley Sharp
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kinda had the notion that it was a nod to the zombie movie "The Dead Hate the Living".... but maybe Im just a huge zombie geek... zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the human player plays "Farmer Sty" to add +1 to a Fight die roll and then the Zombie player plays "Undead Hate the Living" and forces a reroll of that die, does the +1 apply to the reroll or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think so. Otherwise the "Hate the Living" card is the equivalent of two cards with the power to cancel Farmer Sty as well. We've been playing that the embattled farmer still gets to stick his pitchfork in with whatever the new roll is.

Sometimes a zombie just can't win.

Oh, and Robert, I couldn't help but think that this is what happens when a zombie lets his emotions run away with his reason. A more calm and objective zombie wouldn't make such a misstep.

I've noticed in some of the more recent zombie movies that they're giving the z's more reactions, expressions, and apparent pauses to think about things. I think it makes things vastly more entertaining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radim Jurda
Czech Republic
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
"Play this card to hate a Hero, forcing them to Re-roll any number of their Fight Dice (Zombie's choice)."

Why it is in not "Play this card to hate a Hero, forcing him to Re-roll any number of his Fight Dice (Zombie's choice)."?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rash wrote:
"Play this card to hate a Hero, forcing them to Re-roll any number of their Fight Dice (Zombie's choice)."

Why it is in not "Play this card to hate a Hero, forcing him to Re-roll any number of his Fight Dice (Zombie's choice)."?

Thanks!
The text has been chosen to avoid male pronouns. It's gender neutral.

Now, let the gender neutral language debate begin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radim Jurda
Czech Republic
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
ok, in Czech, word "hero" is male gender, so it is logical for me that there should be him and his. Them and hteir sounded like plural for me...

Now its clear. Thanks for answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue (She/her)
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rash:

Technically, in proper grammar, "Them" and "their" are plurals. However, since English lacks any gender-neutral pronouns, some people (and I whole-heartedly include myself in this area) "improperly" use them and their in order to avoid having to specify a gender. The other alternative is to use "she/he" and "her/his" and that sounds very awkward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.