Thumb up
 Hide
60 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: Are you serious? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Replying to this post Re: Which users have left taking all of their contributions?, I wrote, "Kudos if you did."

And it got zapped. Seriously??

Subject: User Moderation
Personal attack in https://boardgamegeek.com/article/30979737#30979737

This message is a warning that the above post is unwelcome in our forums and has been removed. Please do not post like this again in this thread or elsewhere on our site.

If an account commits frequent or severe violations of site rules we may disable the account's posting privileges to prevent further incidents.

Direct any questions to Contact@boardgamegeek.com

--
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
Mail sent to this account is not read.
If you are trying to reach a particular user, please write to them directly.
Boardgamegeek Admins: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Admins
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Keeper of the Sacred Aardvark
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Are you fucking serious?
zuludawn wrote:

--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
Replying to this post Re: Which users have left taking all of their contributions?, I wrote, "Kudos if you did."
Yeah, slamming another user, even if you’re just expressing happiness that they’re gone, will get you moderated. That’s been true forever.

I’ll let you guess how I know this. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ER B
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The only reason I use this website is because it is an incredible game database. The moderation is ridiculous. The judgment employed by "it" is terrible.

I don't post valuable content here anymore, as a form of "civil disobedience." Previously, the moderators removed all of my session reports after I employed a form of "civil disobedience". The majority of them were removed without notification. It was over 900,000 words of content. If you check my profile, you will see that I am a golden session reporter, but if you check my content, you will see that I have no session reports. I have saved all of the correspondence between myself and Matthew.

I have been suspended in the past for alleged "passive aggressive" posts, not personal attacks. This site promotes passive-aggressive behavior through its moderation policies, possibly an unintended consequence.

I refrain from important discussions because I employ my own critical thinking, which many users cannot tolerate without taking offense. In my opinion, this causes the discussion on this site to be superficial, one-sided, self-reinforcing and sycophantic.

BTW, I wrote an article many years ago titled, "One of the best writers on BGG has left the building". You probably recall that Pat.

ER Bickford
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ermj1986 wrote:
The only reason I use this website is because it is an incredible game database. The moderation is ridiculous. The judgment employed by "it" is terrible.

I don't post valuable content here anymore, as a form of "civil disobedience." Previously, the moderators removed all of my session reports after I employed a form of "civil disobedience". The majority of them were removed without notification. It was over 900,000 words of content. If you check my profile, you will see that I am a golden session reporter, but if you check my content, you will see that I have no session reports. I have saved all of the correspondence between myself and Matthew.

I have been suspended in the past for alleged "passive aggressive" posts, not personal attacks. This site promotes passive-aggressive behavior through its moderation policies, possibly an unintended consequence.

I refrain from important discussions because I employ my own critical thinking, which many users cannot tolerate without taking offense. In my opinion, this causes the discussion on this site to be superficial, one-sided, self-reinforcing and sycophantic.

BTW, I wrote an article many years ago titled, "One of the best writers on BGG has left the building". You probably recall that Pat.

ER Bickford
you want a cookie?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ermj1986 wrote:

ER Bickford

Well then, it's a good thing you don't go out of your way to complain about it in random complaint threads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:

This message is a warning that the above post is unwelcome in our forums and has been removed. Please do not post like this again in this thread or elsewhere on our site.

If an account commits frequent or severe violations of site rules we may disable the account's posting privileges to prevent further incidents.

--
DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE!
Mail sent to this account is not read.
If you are trying to reach a particular user, please write to them directly.
Boardgamegeek Admins: https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Admins

Look at it this way. If this site is intended to contain useful info about games, and most contributions here are useful info about games, then most users that leave and delete all their content are removing at least some useful info.

That means the site is less valuable, or at least that it is moving further away from its goal of having game info. That is bad.

With your post, you are encouraging such actions, and implying that people should hurt the site. It isn't such a large leap of logic to see that the site operators do not appreciate people who advocate for hurting the site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s simpler than that. Letting people snipe at each other and make meanspirited comments leads to a toxic environment and will make BGG an unfriendly place to visit. So they shut that type of thing down.

Congratulating someone for driving a user away is just rude and obnoxious (speaking as someone who got moderated for something just like that). It’s the type of thing they should be stomping on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fambans wrote:
Interesting. Taking credit for driving someone away does NOT get you moderated, but praising that does.
Because saying you might be the reason someone left isn’t inherently negative. It might be that you feel bad/guilty for having driven them off.

Cheering that someone left, or that someone drove them away, is unequivocally negative. There’s no way to read that other than that you didn’t like the person who left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rico
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:

When you step outside of RSP, you have to remember to put your pants back on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve C
United States
West
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spoon wrote:
zuludawn wrote:

When you step outside of RSP, you have to remember to put your pants back on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luckily you remember what you wrote.

Pete (never does)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
It’s simpler than that. Letting people snipe at each other and make meanspirited comments leads to a toxic environment and will make BGG an unfriendly place to visit.
You mean comments like Desiree's and Grant's up there?

Pete (hopes by the time others read this those will have been edited and this won't make sense)
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
It’s simpler than that. Letting people snipe at each other and make meanspirited comments leads to a toxic environment and will make BGG an unfriendly place to visit.
It's clear that there's some level of snark allowed. As someone who's snarky on a regular basis, I enjoy that some level of it is allowed. There's always going to be a question about where the line should be drawn. Why they drew that line at cheering someone leaving but allow other comments, I can't say. I suspect there's some level where they think it goes from casual banter to outright hostility and that's what they want to stop.

From personal experience I know that saying something like those comments above tends to be allowed, but cheering that someone has been banned is moderated. Maybe you're right that the line should be moved even further in the direction of reducing snark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Pete (hopes by the time others read this those will have been edited and this won't make sense)

If you ask me (you didn't), your equating of my mild snark to celebrating the banning of another user is a worse offense than my mild snark. Apples and oranges, man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
Thunkd wrote:
It's clear that there's some level of snark allowed. As someone who's snarky on a regular basis, I enjoy that some level of it is allowed. There's always going to be a question about where the line should be drawn. Why they drew that line at cheering someone leaving but allow other comments, I can't say. I suspect there's some level where they think it goes from casual banter to outright hostility and that's what they want to stop.

From personal experience I know that saying something like those comments above tends to be allowed, but cheering that someone has been banned is moderated. Maybe you're right that the line should be moved even further in the direction of reducing snark.
My sensibilities are somewhere between Grant's comment (which I find a bit aggressive) and Desiree's (which I think is simply rude).

Pete (shrugs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ermj1986 wrote:

I don't post valuable content here anymore, as a form of "civil disobedience." Previously, the moderators removed all of my session reports after I employed a form of "civil disobedience".

I find that hard to believe. They almost never nuke content without cause. This was especially true before the "nuke offending posts" policy was in place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
ermj1986 wrote:

I don't post valuable content here anymore, as a form of "civil disobedience." Previously, the moderators removed all of my session reports after I employed a form of "civil disobedience".

I find that hard to believe. They almost never nuke content without cause. This was especially true before the "nuke offending posts" policy was in place.

I had to go back into my records to figure out what this was in reference to.

In this case it was because his "form of civil disobedience" was to edit his session reports to delete all the content and replace it with a link promoting another site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
ermj1986 wrote:

In this case it was because his "form of civil disobedience" was to edit his session reports to delete all the content and replace it with a link promoting another site.

That's amazing. I think that makes "Previously, the moderators removed all of my session reports after I employed a form of "civil disobedience" the single most disingenuous sentence I've read on BGG. And there has been some stiff competition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
grant5 wrote:
That's amazing. I think that makes "Previously, the moderators removed all of my session reports after I employed a form of "civil disobedience" the single most disingenuous sentence I've read on BGG. And there has been some stiff competition.

Yeah, but given the context, it pretty much *had* to be something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Yeah, like that'll happen - the other ongoing complaint thread proves that they are both on the "right side" of the very biased moderation here and don't need to hold back like everyone else does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Yeah, like that'll happen - the other ongoing complaint thread proves that they are both on the "right side" of the very biased moderation here and don't need to hold back like everyone else does.
as if I've never been moderated
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Shampoo4you wrote:
ermj1986 wrote:

Ah.

Pete (knows which site and understands)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Désirée Greverud
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

tbh, I figured mine would have red x'ed and/or nuked by a mod by now but still, it needed to be said. so, um... why haven't you red x'ed it yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DragonsDream wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

as if I've never been moderated

Never said that - it just takes a lot more for you and those on "your side" to get moderated than others, and your comments on that thread and your comment here prove that. "Want a cookie?" the way you said it is most definitely disruptive, insulting, and adds literally nothing to the conversation, yet here it remains, even after Octavian has read the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.